Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: May 9, 2024 at 7:38 Quote
Not constantly but when the bike was fairly new I had a chain issue that caused a large paint chip right where you’re talking about. It looks like it may have had a few scratches around it since but nothing too bad.

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 23:53 Quote
I have a problem which I've searched all over the internet and can't find a solution I had also posted this here a while back but haven't found an answer..

I tried unscrewing the downtube protector and right away the bolt snapped inside the lug.

That is a very specific lug that fits on the inside of the downtube bulkhead.

I have found part number S209900072 that is the downtube protector and on the pictures it shows the bolt but not the internal lug.

On part number S184200063, that is the downtube protector for the previous SJ model, the lug appears to be included but I'm not sure if it is the same size.

I tried contacting my local Specialized dealer but they're not much help.

Has anyone here had any experience with this?

Should I just go for both and throw money at the problem hoping for the best?

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 0:26 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
Kookonabike wrote:
CONSTANTLY getting drive side chainstay damage from the chain. Anybody else?

2021 carbon StEvo. 30T chainring. Shimano 12sp. Stock setup.

Ever since I first had this bike I get damage where the chainstay bends inwards just before it meets the main triangle. I assume it’s from the chain hitting it. It’s on the upper part of the outside edge, not the top edge.

I’m constantly just putting a sacrificial layer gaffer tape or rubber tape there and replacing it regularly as it gets damaged.

I’ve never bothered asking about it as I figure it’s just a design problem. But I haven’t seen it mentioned here.

Would be grateful for thoughts or input from this group.
Thanks in advance.

While working on a derailleur issue, I noticed that my chain would "fall" a little right behind the chainring when the crank was spun backwards and make contact on the chain stay. I bet the issue is from back-pedaling. Like you, I have some helicopter tape stacked up there and replace it every few months.

Noticed the same thing backpedaling. Hadn’t thought of heli tape- thanks

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 0:28 Quote
mcharza wrote:
Kookonabike wrote:
CONSTANTLY getting drive side chainstay damage from the chain. Anybody else?

2021 carbon StEvo. 30T chainring. Shimano 12sp. Stock setup.

Ever since I first had this bike I get damage where the chainstay bends inwards just before it meets the main triangle. I assume it’s from the chain hitting it. It’s on the upper part of the outside edge, not the top edge.

I’m constantly just putting a sacrificial layer gaffer tape or rubber tape there and replacing it regularly as it gets damaged.

I’ve never bothered asking about it as I figure it’s just a design problem. But I haven’t seen it mentioned here.

Would be grateful for thoughts or input from this group.
Thanks in advance.
Check your derailleur clutch if it's working ok.

Thanks, yeah clutch is all good.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 6:26 Quote
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:

….I tried unscrewing the downtube protector and right away the bolt snapped inside the lug.

That is a very specific lug…..
I have found part number S209900072 that is the downtube protector and on the pictures it shows the bolt but not the internal lug.

On part number S184200063, that is the downtube protector for the previous SJ model, the lug appears to be included but I'm not sure if it is the same size…….

Has anyone here had any experience with this?……..

Same thing happened to me a while back. I was able to drill a small hole in the broken bolt and un thread it from the lug. It was scary and I went very slowly but I got it. The lug is aluminum and softer so if you slip you will drill the lug. You could also try heating the lug up with a hair dryer and see if you can’t get the broken bolt to turn. The aluminum will expand much faster than the bolt. I can confirm that the lug does not come with the Evo protector, no idea on the other one though. specialized return policy is pretty good though.

Posted: May 10, 2024 at 8:31 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:

….I tried unscrewing the downtube protector and right away the bolt snapped inside the lug.

That is a very specific lug…..

On part number S184200063, that is the downtube protector for the previous SJ model, the lug appears to be included but I'm not sure if it is the same size…….

Has anyone here had any experience with this?……..

Same thing happened to me a while back. I was able to drill a small hole in the broken bolt and un thread it from the lug. It was scary and I went very slowly but I got it. The lug is aluminum and softer so if you slip you will drill the lug. You could also try heating the lug up with a hair dryer and see if you can’t get the broken bolt to turn. The aluminum will expand much faster than the bolt. I can confirm that the lug does not come with the Evo protector, no idea on the other one though. specialized return policy is pretty good though.

Thank you for confirming about the protector.
I did try drilling it out and I did slip and drill the lug unfortunately.. I hadn't thought of heating it before that. I'll give the other one a shot and hope for the best

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 16:24 Quote
seanfeezy wrote:
med222 wrote:
Quick question . Does the normal stumpy have the same weakspot on the downtube as the evo version ? Thanks
not that I have heard. Worked in speci shops for a couple years and never even heard a rumor about it on that bike. Evo weak spot was common knowledge but I never saw or heard of anyone local having an issue…

I think this problem is way over-exaggerated. Maybe I’ve just been incredibly lucky, but I’ve been on a stumpy evo for nearly 3 years now. I live in SoCal and regularly ride trails with lots of loose rocks (locally, as well as Vegas area and southern Utah). I’ve had rocks skip up and hit the down tube dozens of times. Zero issues. I wonder how much of this “common knowledge” can be chalked up to the sheer number of stumpy evos that have been sold? (I.e., the failure rate isn’t all that different than other bikes in the category, there’s just more absolute examples posted online.)

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 16:24 Quote
seanfeezy wrote:
med222 wrote:
Quick question . Does the normal stumpy have the same weakspot on the downtube as the evo version ? Thanks
not that I have heard. Worked in speci shops for a couple years and never even heard a rumor about it on that bike. Evo weak spot was common knowledge but I never saw or heard of anyone local having an issue…

I think this problem is way over-exaggerated. Maybe I’ve just been incredibly lucky, but I’ve been on a stumpy evo for nearly 3 years now. I live in SoCal and regularly ride trails with lots of loose rocks (locally, as well as Vegas area and southern Utah). I’ve had rocks skip up and hit the down tube dozens of times. Zero issues. I wonder how much of this “common knowledge” can be chalked up to the sheer number of stumpy evos that have been sold? (I.e., the failure rate isn’t all that different than other bikes in the category, there’s just more absolute examples posted online.)

Posted: May 10, 2024 at 21:59 Quote
jbess001 wrote:
seanfeezy wrote:
med222 wrote:

Also wondering if they quietly made a running change and beefed that section up a little… heard about this issue more during the first year of this generation

O+
Posted: May 11, 2024 at 5:07 Quote
I got my Stevo as soon as they were released and went years beating the crap out of it with multiple enduro races and countless bike park laps. Never had an issue with the downtube until recently and that was definitely my fault, I smashed it into a sharp edged boulder at speed trying to clear a particularly gnarly feature. Hit so hard it cracked through both the RockGuardz bash guard and OEM guard, I have no doubt it would have dented an aluminum frame. But quick trip to Hot Tubes carbon repair in Massachusetts and she’s good as new! Thanks Toby, your work is amazing!

Posted: May 11, 2024 at 8:01 Quote
For what it's worth I don't think any carbon bike is immune to rock strikes to the downtube. I'm on my third Enduro frame from rock strikes to the BB, I cracked my Sentinel the same way, and my YT Tues. Transition uses stout carbon compared to Spec. based on my experience. I kicked up a dinosaur egg shaped granite boulder straight into my BB/bash guard of my Sentinel and it split the boulder in half. I imagine the bike would qualify for a crash replacement now, but I still run it. I have taken similar hits on my Spec. Enduros and the damage to carbon fiber is more extensive than my Sentinel.

Posted: May 13, 2024 at 5:17 Quote
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
I have a problem which I've searched all over the internet and can't find a solution I had also posted this here a while back but haven't found an answer..

I tried unscrewing the downtube protector and right away the bolt snapped inside the lug.

On part number S184200063, that is the downtube protector for the previous SJ model, the lug appears to be included but I'm not sure if it is the same size.

I lost one of the washer-nuts a long time ago and have been riding with just 1 nut for a couple of years. Eek Confused Big Grin

I found the part number for the fastener that I think you need. Part No.: S220500005

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/molded-downtube-protector-nut/p/4235847?color=5372029-4235847&searchText=S220500005&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces-across-google&utm_term=888818946280&srsltid=AfmBOooc4JWqfs8dRsHrf-47uvOF9U5EGoTeqoh8Kt7dDEF6JPuLVPfCWFo

Posted: May 14, 2024 at 22:45 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:

I lost one of the washer-nuts a long time ago and have been riding with just 1 nut for a couple of years. Eek Confused Big Grin

I found the part number for the fastener that I think you need. Part No.: S220500005

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/molded-downtube-protector-nut/p/4235847?color=5372029-4235847&searchText=S220500005&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces-across-google&utm_term=888818946280&srsltid=AfmBOooc4JWqfs8dRsHrf-47uvOF9U5EGoTeqoh8Kt7dDEF6JPuLVPfCWFo

oh wow, this is it! it seems to be out of stock at the moment but thank you so much!!

O+
Posted: May 15, 2024 at 10:32 Quote
I bet any weld nut would work decently enough, something like this:

https://www.sriperformance.com/Weld-Nut-Round-Base-Style-Steel?custcol_mhi_sri_fastener_size_imp=17&custcol_mhi_sri_barrel_diameter=5&custcol_mhi_sri_barrel_height=4&custcol_mhi_sri_flange_diameter=1&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwupGyBhBBEiwA0UcqaMmVmpesRIudD-ytZ2itVqeIudeWErd_XKT5xgT0rWtxm6fliLM2uRoCDwgQAvD_BwE

Posted: May 15, 2024 at 11:29 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
I bet any weld nut would work decently enough, something like this:

https://www.sriperformance.com/Weld-Nut-Round-Base-Style-Steel?custcol_mhi_sri_fastener_size_imp=17&custcol_mhi_sri_barrel_diameter=5&custcol_mhi_sri_barrel_height=4&custcol_mhi_sri_flange_diameter=1&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwupGyBhBBEiwA0UcqaMmVmpesRIudD-ytZ2itVqeIudeWErd_XKT5xgT0rWtxm6fliLM2uRoCDwgQAvD_BwE

It needs to be ovalised in order to get it right enough to hold.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012490
Mobile Version of Website