Powered by Outside

Lets Talk Pike

• Next Page
Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 10:30 Quote
manachim wrote:
Hmmmm....

I have own pike, Marzocchi 55rc3ti and 66rc3ti.

they are both awesome to me. pike wins for light riding such AM and moderate ride.
its so plush and more agyle than my 55.
for bigger drops or root garden, 55 wins just a bit. maybe due to TA15 and TA20. for small bump, i think they are on par.

i was thinking to sell my 55 and just keep pike for general riding and 66 for hard hitting.

Damn that's what i didn't want to hear. Surely the pike pedals/sprints 10x better than the 55 too. cOmbined with the 700gram weight reduction it makes the pike look pretty good for everything except extreme knar.

Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 11:20 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
manachim wrote:
Hmmmm....

I have own pike, Marzocchi 55rc3ti and 66rc3ti.

they are both awesome to me. pike wins for light riding such AM and moderate ride.
its so plush and more agyle than my 55.
for bigger drops or root garden, 55 wins just a bit. maybe due to TA15 and TA20. for small bump, i think they are on par.

i was thinking to sell my 55 and just keep pike for general riding and 66 for hard hitting.

Damn that's what i didn't want to hear. Surely the pike pedals/sprints 10x better than the 55 too. cOmbined with the 700gram weight reduction it makes the pike look pretty good for everything except extreme knar.

Big Grin Big Grin
i think you sum it up well man.
for me, if you are not planing to ride DH with pike, then go for it. i have seen people taking big drops (2-3m its quite big for me) with their pike and walk away with no problems.

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 11:47 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
Damn. Now i want to try a good pike to see how it compares to my 55s.

its like i should ask "who's impressed by their Pike?"

I am 175lb rider with a Pike 160mm solo RC3 and run the following specs.
75psi with 1 token - I think I am 15 to 20% sag standing
3 click LSC
1 to 3 clicks from fully open rebound depending on the trail.

I was initially underwhelmed coming from a 170mm lyric RC2DH but I have come to think the Pike is a better fork. The bottomless taken makes the fork more progressive and I like not having to rely on the HSC to keep from having harsh bottom outs; in fact I rarely come back from a ride with the travel indicator at the crown. The small bump sensitivity is definitely improved from the lyrik in my experience and the weight saving is significant.

If I am on a sustained fire road climb I occasionally use the trail mode for out of saddle pedaling but other than that it seems to be pretty useless.

I also am running the 650B fork with 26" wheels to get a longer A-C similar to the 170mm lyrik. The increased trail of the 650B pike makes the steering a little quicker which has been nice since my bike is pretty slack and slow to steer at low speed.

So all in all I have been a happy owner of the Pike.

Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 12:11 Quote
OrionW wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

3 click LSC

I was initially underwhelmed coming from a 170mm lyric RC2DH but I have come to think the Pike is a better fork. The bottomless taken makes the fork more progressive and I like not having to rely on the HSC to keep from having harsh bottom outs; in fact I rarely come back from a ride with the travel indicator at the crown. The small bump sensitivity is definitely improved from the lyrik in my experience and the weight saving is significant.

If I am on a sustained fire road climb I occasionally use the trail mode for out of saddle pedaling but other than that it seems to be pretty useless.

I also am running the 650B fork with 26" wheels to get a longer A-C similar to the 170mm lyrik. The increased trail of the 650B pike makes the steering a little quicker which has been nice since my bike is pretty slack and slow to steer at low speed.

how does the tyre fit,being a bit lower down in the fork arch,I run a2.5 minion and am a bit weary of it rubbing

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 12:51 Quote
I run a 2.35" Butcher on the front which is very similar in width to the minion 2.5 and haven't had any issues. Honestly I hadn't ever really considered that may be a problem so I haven't taken notice to what kind of clearance I have and if it has been reduced. I will try and remember to take a peak at it tonight.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 6:20 Quote
OrionW wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

3 click LSC

The small bump sensitivity is definitely improved from the lyrik in my experience and the weight saving is significant.

I'm 190lb plus gear, running 55psi with 2 tokens, rebound 1 to 3 clicks from full open...
I bottom out, not that you feel it, a couple times a ride if its a gnarly place

and i feel the small bump sensitivity is pretty lame, and this is comparing to a Fox Talas

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 7:14 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
OrionW wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

3 click LSC

The small bump sensitivity is definitely improved from the lyrik in my experience and the weight saving is significant.

I'm 190lb plus gear, running 55psi with 2 tokens, rebound 1 to 3 clicks from full open...

and i feel the small bump sensitivity is pretty lame, and this is comparing to a Fox Talas

Yeah that is weird, we must have different opinions on what feels good on the trail or your fork is a dud for some reason. I would have guessed running low pressure with the 2 tokens would make the Pike the king of small bump compliance! I have a 2012 Fox 36 Talas FIT on another bike; both my Pike and old Lyrik blow the doors off that thing for suppleness.

Hopefully yours breaks in or something - it sucks not being happy with new expensive gear...

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 2:14 Quote
OrionW wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
OrionW wrote:

3 click LSC

Yeah that is weird, we must have different opinions on what feels good on the trail or your fork is a dud for some reason. I would have guessed running low pressure with the 2 tokens would make the Pike the king of small bump compliance! I have a 2012 Fox 36 Talas FIT on another bike; both my Pike and old Lyrik blow the doors off that thing for suppleness.

Hopefully yours breaks in or something - it sucks not being happy with new expensive gear...

hope so or i figure it out. I was on the verge I'm getting in touch with the suppler / RS just to see what my options are to have it looked out. I thought I see if the internets had any input and it seems I'm not the only one underwhelmed. looks to be a bit hit and miss.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012207
Mobile Version of Website