Powered by Outside

Drill Carbon Frame (for internally cabled dropper) Yay or Nay?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Drill Carbon Frame (for internally cabled dropper) Yay or Nay?
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
When you work for a large company, there's some language that you have to use whether you personally agree to it or not. The company's insurance carrier and attorneys insist on such things. This kind of language is sometimes referred to as "boilerplate", as in, it's armor against lawsuits. You could make a hole in a seat tube a lot of ways from a hammer and 16d nail to carefully drilling with good equipment and the results would also vary accordingly. If you're an employee of a large bike company you have no idea which approach someone might use, so you discourage it in any form to stay out of court.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 0:17 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
When you work for a large company, there's some language that you have to use whether you personally agree to it or not. The company's insurance carrier and attorneys insist on such things. This kind of language is sometimes referred to as "boilerplate", as in, it's armor against lawsuits. You could make a hole in a seat tube a lot of ways from a hammer and 16d nail to carefully drilling with good equipment and the results would also vary accordingly. If you're an employee of a large bike company you have no idea which approach someone might use, so you discourage it in any form to stay out of court.

How exciting.

I'm not an idiot; having a degree in business, three trades, two inspector tickets - among other things - studying engi-nerding and whatnot. But to come on here, and insist that it's completely fine to randomly drill holes in carbon frame.....? Really? That's the best you can do? No actual proof, studies, technical information? Documentation?

I'm all for the conglomeration of assorted bits, hacking rusty crap into older junk, breathing life into worn out garbage, etc......,...but why recommend that someone ruin their shit, because you think it'll be fun? You're not the engineer....you don't know anything about the correct testing, loading, procedures, etc....So go ahead and justify your recommendation. No? Hmmmmmm.

Maybe stop pretending. Go back to the original question, and think about it for a hot minute.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 2:06 Quote
I did the same in my carbon hardtail a few years ago, and I'm still alive (and so is the bike)!
Use some common sense of where is a low stress area

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 at 4:42 Quote
dood wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

How exciting.

I'm not an idiot; having a degree in business, three trades, two inspector tickets - among other things - studying engi-nerding and whatnot. But to come on here, and insist that it's completely fine to randomly drill holes in carbon frame.....? Really? That's the best you can do? No actual proof, studies, technical information? Documentation?

I'm all for the conglomeration of assorted bits, hacking rusty crap into older junk, breathing life into worn out garbage, etc......,...but why recommend that someone ruin their shit, because you think it'll be fun? You're not the engineer....you don't know anything about the correct testing, loading, procedures, etc....So go ahead and justify your recommendation. No? Hmmmmmm.

Maybe stop pretending. Go back to the original question, and think about it for a hot minute.

I've been making my living as a bike mechanic in the same town for a number of years now. I'm pretty sure anyone who thinks they've been hurt by my work has had and still has ample opportunity to find me and call me to account for my wicked, careless ways. Hasn't happened yet, don't think it will. Have a nice day.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
dood wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

How exciting.

I've been making my living as a bike mechanic in the same town for a number of years now. I'm pretty sure anyone who thinks they've been hurt by my work has had and still has ample opportunity to find me and call me to account for my wicked, careless ways. Hasn't happened yet, don't think it will. Have a nice day.

You as well. We've all been there, thinking we know everything - until someone else comes by. Hopefully, your employer agrees with you wanting to drill holes in folk's bits. I'm sure the warranty will work out fine, because you're a hero that respects what the manufacturer knows!

If you're really that smart, and know all about laying carbon, and how the processes work, and how stress is calculated, then go ahead and enlighten us poor peasants. But, if you're a bike mechanic who thinks they know better than the engineer who deigns said systems - maybe consider NOT spreading poor information across the forum of a few hundred thousand people.

It's my job, an inspector, to call out inadequacies. So....Justify with numbers and facts, or studies, so we can all learn something.

I'm just about done with idiots around here. Being a bike mechanic means about as much as knowing how to flip a f*cking burger. Er......sorry...it means you're an expert in carbon fiber, engineering, and making stupid recommendations to the public. You win! I'm just crazy!

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
dood wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
dood wrote:

How exciting.

You as well. We've all been there, thinking we know everything - until someone else comes by. Hopefully, your employer agrees with you wanting to drill holes in folk's bits. I'm sure the warranty will work out fine, because you're a hero that respects what the manufacturer knows!

If you're really that smart, and know all about laying carbon, and how the processes work, and how stress is calculated, then go ahead and enlighten us poor peasants. But, if you're a bike mechanic who thinks they know better than the engineer who deigns said systems - maybe consider NOT spreading poor information across the forum of a few hundred thousand people.

It's my job, an inspector, to call out inadequacies. So....Justify with numbers and facts, or studies, so we can all learn something.

I'm just about done with idiots around here. Being a bike mechanic means about as much as knowing how to flip a f*cking burger. Er......sorry...it means you're an expert in carbon fiber, engineering, and making stupid recommendations to the public. You win! I'm just crazy!

I own the shop I work in. I've been doing this job in the same town for several years now. My customers are some of the most highly paid and highly educated people in the nation. They design and build complicated things like atomic bombs. They can afford whatever they want, and they can afford to have whoever they want work on their bikes. I'm the guy they choose. Your approval or disapproval of my judgement is really quite meaningless. It won't affect my business in the slightest bit. Think whatever you like.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Well this went sideways fast..

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 17:23 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
dood wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:

I own the shop I work in. I've been doing this job in the same town for several years now. My customers are some of the most highly paid and highly educated people in the nation. They design and build complicated things like atomic bombs. They can afford whatever they want, and they can afford to have whoever they want work on their bikes. I'm the guy they choose. Your approval or disapproval of my judgement is really quite meaningless. It won't affect my business in the slightest bit. Think whatever you like.

What’s the name of your shop?

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
dood wrote:

What’s the name of your shop?
Beanie's Bike Shop. Los Alamos, NM. We're easy to find and check out on the web or social media. We're in our third year here, and I worked for the last two shops in town.

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
I have been thinking of doing the same on a 2014 Niner AIR 9,

Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 3:55 Quote
odyofael wrote:

Careful, you might offend the Carbon Police... Wink

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
odyofael wrote:

Your username sums up the advice you provide.

Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
odyofael wrote:

Your username sums up the advice you provide.

Wow, sounds like I triggered the Carbon Police...

Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
Put the question to the manufacturer, if you don't agree with the response
then Just drill it and see how it works, I don't care for the outcome your
responsible for your own actions, though I would not buy a used frame with
such alterations.

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 21:34 Quote
I was able to use the front badge to route the dropper cable housing.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.049378
Mobile Version of Website