Powered by Outside

OVAL vs ROUND...Thoughts?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
OVAL vs ROUND...Thoughts?
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2021 at 15:49 Quote
Seems like oval might help those of us on single speeds, who really need to mash when we climb? Anyone have any experience with this? (Before SS haters jump in and give me a wedgie, yes I also have a bike with gears, I just prefer the SS hardtail for local lunchride type trails)

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 5:52 Quote
elcam wrote:
Seems like oval might help those of us on single speeds, who really need to mash when we climb? Anyone have any experience with this? (Before SS haters jump in and give me a wedgie, yes I also have a bike with gears, I just prefer the SS hardtail for local lunchride type trails)

I'm not on singlespeed but I can imagine that helping. I would evaluate how much time you spend in the saddle vs. hammering the pedals. Ovals are great while seated but they create an odd dead spot in your power while out of the saddle or sprinting.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
ah, ok, good to know. thx. on the SS I'm out of the saddle 65% of the time... including 100% of the important times for a reliable pedal stroke.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
I have not noticed that while out of the saddle.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
No experience with SS but I'll echo comments on improved climbing. I noticed improved climbing traction on steep technical climbs, didn't really notice a difference elsewhere.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
Basically the difference is bugger all, I would be willing to bet some people couldn't even feel the difference, it makes the same difference as like changing your rebound or compression a couple clicks. A gear change 1 cog is far far more noticeable. It won't change the way anyone rides but those that are hypersensitive to small changes on their bike may be able to notice it. It feels just like a round chainring, but like 5% rounder than round if you can imagine that...imo you are better off spending the money on a quality round chainring that works well with the chain, isn't noisy or draggy and is durable...you will appreciate those aspects more.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Basically the difference is bugger all, I would be willing to bet some people couldn't even feel the difference, it makes the same difference as like changing your rebound or compression a couple clicks. A gear change 1 cog is far far more noticeable. It won't change the way anyone rides but those that are hypersensitive to small changes on their bike may be able to notice it. It feels just like a round chainring, but like 5% rounder than round if you can imagine that...imo you are better off spending the money on a quality round chainring that works well with the chain, isn't noisy or draggy and is durable...you will appreciate those aspects more.

doesn't really make sense when you can get a quality oval that does the same. I did not spend anymore on an oval than I would have on a round. Ovals are engineered to benefit us most when we are making the most power in our stroke. It makes sense if you think about it. I guess for those with really strong legs compared to body weight, or no previous knee or leg injuries, it's no big deal. I fall into the latter category.

And yes, I notice small changes.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

doesn't really make sense when you can get a quality oval that does the same. I did not spend anymore on an oval than I would have on a round. Ovals are engineered to benefit us most when we are making the most power in our stroke. It makes sense if you think about it. I guess for those with really strong legs compared to body weight, or no previous knee or leg injuries, it's no big deal. I fall into the latter category.

That's great if it makes a big difference for you then it's more than worth it. For me the gains are less than the drawbacks, at least with the Snaggletooth oval I purchased... It attracts lots of gunk, I would like to fit a bigger chainring but the oval limits it, it's a bit draggy that suggests the tooth profile isn't as well optimised as oem and the tolerance was so bad when I first fitted it that one night in the cold, it was like the chain literally fused to the chainring, I couldn't go anywhere until I poured boiling hot water on the chainring...this problem went away very quickly with use, but I feel that none oem spec tooth profiles can cause havoc to the chains and in turn faster cassette wear.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
My Absolute Black is silent and works great with my sram XO1 setup. I do have pretty strong legs and a (I think) smooth cadence but the oval ring definitely helped me even out power delivery on climbing which is exactly why I bought it. Bash guards are easy to fit to the tall part of the oval as well. I have no desire to go back to round ring at all.

FL
Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 15:51 Quote
I noticed the difference immediately! Like jumping on the bike an pedalling away straight after fitting it! The lack of power loss when the feet are at 12 an 6 o'clock is definitely, very noticeable!

I have read that absolute have the 'perfect' oval patented but probably advertising spiel, I also have a snaggle tooth (round) on my play bikev thats never been any hassle

Another thing I have noticed while riding hard on tarmac. That zzzZZZzzzZZZzzz noise of the tyres on the road is just ZZZZZZZZZZZZ with oval. They definitely put out a smoother cadence to round.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
gmoss wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

That's great if it makes a big difference for you then it's more than worth it. For me the gains are less than the drawbacks, at least with the Snaggletooth oval I purchased... It attracts lots of gunk, I would like to fit a bigger chainring but the oval limits it, it's a bit draggy that suggests the tooth profile isn't as well optimised as oem and the tolerance was so bad when I first fitted it that one night in the cold, it was like the chain literally fused to the chainring, I couldn't go anywhere until I poured boiling hot water on the chainring...this problem went away very quickly with use, but I feel that none oem spec tooth profiles can cause havoc to the chains and in turn faster cassette wear.

Haha, snaggletooth. That's funny. I am on a Wolf Tooth, which is wotking very well.

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
I used to be a big believer, rode for years with an oval and was convinced they were better, easier on the knees and better traction on climbs. Then came the new bike which came with a round chainring and I feel no difference....

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013061
Mobile Version of Website