Powered by Outside

“Pedaling culture” is dumb

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
“Pedaling culture” is dumb
O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 2:36 Quote
TimMog wrote:
jurassicrider wrote:
Descending culture is dumb. I pedal my bike all the way to the top and carry it on the descent .

Pedalling is dumb, full stop. I carry my bike up AND down.

Carrying? What a Harry hardout, I just leaving mine on the car rack for posing.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 3:57 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
TimMog wrote:
jurassicrider wrote:
Descending culture is dumb. I pedal my bike all the way to the top and carry it on the descent .

Pedalling is dumb, full stop. I carry my bike up AND down.

Carrying? What a Harry hardout, I just leaving mine on the car rack for posing.

If you were really that cool, you'd drive to the trail and leave your bike in the garage. Or not even have a bike at all.

FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 4:01 Quote
MTB sucks, gonna sell all mine an spend the £$£$ on RC crawlers cos its kewl

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 4:11 Quote
You guys have bikes?? Pfft....noobs.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 4:15 Quote
I use an electric wheeled arm chair, spend a day in the trailcentre car park just moping about
with a picture on my back of a bike I like

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 5:55 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Is this an American thing? Can't say I've noticed that attitude much at all here in NZ.

NZ does seem amazing - got room for a few more?

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 11:14 Quote
Shuttle bro culture is SUPER dumb.
I'd rather pedal up the mountain than share a shuttle truck with a bunch of bros. Pedalling keeps you fit. Fitness helps you enjoy the descent more. If you're pedalling you're spending MORE time on the bike, and that's the end goal right? Time on the bike? I'll take pedalling over shuttling almost every time.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 12:12 Quote
If I had to choose one school of thought I'd be in the "earn my turns" camp. I like days with big elevation and mostly ride to the trails, but the truth is that on the rare days I shuttle my descending skills develop a bit further.

There's room for both.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 16:10 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Gravelben wrote:
Is this an American thing? Can't say I've noticed that attitude much at all here in NZ.

NZ does seem amazing - got room for a few more?

Not too many more, don't want it getting crowded! Beer

Its not perfect of course, but to me enough things are great to balance out the not so good. Similar to Canada in many ways.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 21:20 Quote
Mashingmonk wrote:
What other gravity sport culturally forces you to pretend to like the slow struggle to the top?

Mashingmonk wrote:
I pedal a lot and enjoy pedaling. I don’t enjoy that there is such a judgemental divide in mtb culture

So I don't know whether to call you a hypocrite, and/or a liar... You do enjoy pedaling, but you don't like pretending you enjoy pedaling. And you're judging people who "pretend" to enjoy it (BTW, I actually enjoy pedaling my bike, uphill and down) while also claiming not to like people being judgmental.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 21:48 Quote
Mashingmonk wrote:
That feeling that leads us to rip on eeb riders or friends who like to shuttle or mostly ride park. What other gravity sport culturally forces you to pretend to like the slow struggle to the top as well as the rip down?
quick better make sure all the pinkbikers know I am cool.

FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 22:38 Quote
i think... you'll find it's spelt 'Kewl' nowerdays

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 23:23 Quote
MT36 wrote:

At the end of the day this world just needs as many people getting outside and having fun as possible.

This is part of the issue for me personally… more people is not a good thing. Obviously it depends on where, but the reason why I have some issues with shuttling remote areas or e-bikes in remote areas is the increased access and associated problems. I have no qualms with sharing trails but being able to ride up is a gatekeeper and prevents the masses from tearing trails up deeper into the wilderness. At bike parks or heavily utilized and maintained areas who gives AF. I see lots of e-bikes around the Tahoe rim trail area though and that is a no go for me. If you can’t climb in the back country without a motor then maybe you shouldn’t be there.

FL
Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 23:57 Quote
mockit wrote:
MT36 wrote:

At the end of the day this world just needs as many people getting outside and having fun as possible.

This is part of the issue for me personally… more people is not a good thing. Obviously it depends on where, but the reason why I have some issues with shuttling remote areas or e-bikes in remote areas is the increased access and associated problems. I have no qualms with sharing trails but being able to ride up is a gatekeeper and prevents the masses from tearing trails up deeper into the wilderness. At bike parks or heavily utilized and maintained areas who gives AF. I see lots of e-bikes around the Tahoe rim trail area though and that is a no go for me. If you can’t climb in the back country without a motor then maybe you shouldn’t be there.

I understand what your saying, but thats selfishly arrogant - Why should you feel more entitled because your fitter than the guy who just wants to have fun?

based on your statement, how do i get on? i have both an ebike and a regular bike(or 4 lol). 100% i would be taking my ebike to the "back country" if its long distance and im there to enjoy myself and the downhill trails there - especially if ive had to drive hours just to get close.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.055831
Mobile Version of Website