Numb hands - idea for solution

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Numb hands - idea for solution
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2023 at 15:08 Quote
redfoxrun wrote:
joelsman wrote:
Esi foam grips might help, also how is your upper body strength?
Handlebar to saddle height should be close, don't want the Handlebars much lower than your seat if at all.
Handlebar width? I'm 6ft and like under 780mm.
How tall are you what size frame are you riding?

Great idea with the foam grips. I can bench press my body weight a few times and stretch and lift regularly and also see a PT regularly. I'm 5'8" barefoot, ride a size large with 470 reach. I'll need to measure my handlebars.

I’m 5’11” and ride a bike with 475 reach. Sounds like your bike is too large for you?

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2023 at 16:47 Quote
For another data point I'm 5'10" with 455 reach, but I would be happy up to around 470 - my hardtail is also 455 reach static which = 472 sagged, I run 50mm stem on the FS and 35mm on the HT.

It does depend on your proportions (legs vs torso) and reach alone doesn't tell you everything, but at 5'8" I think a medium frame would fit you better than large - a more stretched out riding position puts more weight on your hands instead of your feet, which could be contributing to the hand issue.

As a test before spending money on new components, try moving your stem to the top of the steerer tube spacers if it isn't there already - that will raise your bar height while reducing effective reach slightly.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 17:39 Quote
Coming in a little late to the party, but this post intrigued me as I have dealt with some hand numbness myself, plus I also help mountain bikers repair their bodies and have some experience working with multiple causes of numb hands.

First, a number of suggestions about bike fit and components on this thread are pretty good. Numb hands is frequently caused by being too far forward on the bike causing more pressure than the hands can handle with pressure being put on the median and ulnar nerves. Steep seat tube angles, low handle bars are common causes. Raising your handle bars up 1cm at a time and shifting your saddle back a centimetre or so can help.

With in your body, there can be nerves referring down from the neck, shoulder, elbow etc.. Which can be helped by seeing a rehab professional with training on nerve impingements and mobility issues as well as the biomechanical causes of them.

If it is something that is occurring outside of mountain biking regularly seeing a doctor and possibly being referred to a neurologist to see if there is more significant damage to nerves. Hope this one is not the case!

Maybe the problem has been solved by now, but if it isn't hope this helps.

Chris

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2023 at 17:32 Quote
If you are not riding Oneup carbon bars, you are really missing out. Best money you can spend on a mountain bike for old guys.

Posted: Sep 25, 2023 at 8:50 Quote
Numbness in different places in your hand and arm maybe fixed by different changes, depending on which nerves are being affected.

I suffered from ulnar numbness (pinky and outer edge of my hand) and I traced it back to dropping my wrists and overweighting my hands when going downhill. I resolved it by rolling my brake levers down and switching to Ergon ge1 grips to help maintain proper positioning.

I am also a fan of 12° sweep bars. I have them on both my trail bikes, and the 8° bar on my gravel/pub restomod feels uncomfortably straight.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2023 at 13:54 Quote
Bar sweep is a personal fit thing depending on your wrist shape etc, some people like more back sweep (10, 12 or some even go to 16 deg) while I found most OEM bars with 8-9 deg felt too swept for me and I've been happier with Renthal's 7 deg backsweep.

The Renthals (I'm using alloy Fatbar 35s, nothing too fancy) also seem to dampen more vibration and feel less harsh than OEM bars I've had, though I've heard the OneUp bars are about the best for that.

Posted: Sep 25, 2023 at 18:28 Quote
I too like the Renthals sweep. I would actually like less sweep, but cannot find a carbon bar with less sweep and 40mm rise. I run the carbon lite fatbar. They work very well at damping.

Posted: Sep 26, 2023 at 9:07 Quote
Some good suggestions in here, but if you're having more problems at the bike park, it may not have anything to do with a too-steep STA or even bar height or reach. I'd say to look at tire, wheel, bar, grips, brake power and lever position, and damper service/setup, and that certainly wouldn't hurt.

But numb arms (not just hands) might indicate that you've got something going on physiologically. I had thoracic outlet syndrome (pretty rate), but could also something in your neck, etc. I would definitely take a look at your body as well as your bike, even if initially it's just working on posture on the bike and some core and shoulder stability exercises and trying to keep relaxed shoulders and arms as much as possible.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010569
Mobile Version of Website