Powered by Outside

What is the typical Specialized motor warranty process?

PB Forum :: eMTB
What is the typical Specialized motor warranty process?
Posted: Sep 21, 2023 at 20:05 Quote
I don't endorse putting businesses on blast every time they disappoint you, but if these folks left you high and dry for weeks, and didn't have a damn good excuse--I say they deserve being named and shamed.

Posted: Sep 22, 2023 at 5:54 Quote
barp wrote:
I don't endorse putting businesses on blast every time they disappoint you, but if these folks left you high and dry for weeks, and didn't have a damn good excuse--I say they deserve being named and shamed.

I agree, and I thought about mentioning them here, but I don't want to be that guy. Plus, Specialized was so alarmed by the situation I know for a fact that shop is in big trouble already. Specialized reps were in the process of investigating them and said their whole service team was untrained which is why they quickly pulled my bike from them and gave it to the other shop.

Posted: Sep 22, 2023 at 20:18 Quote
Haha, fair 'nuff.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 23, 2023 at 10:01 Quote
Yeah not to pile on here, but I own two Levo's one for me one for my wife. Between the two I've replaced 4 motors since 2020 when i bought the first one. Pretty much all have been a week turn around, the longest being 2 weeks and that was the peak of the 2021 bike/part shortage. It was always the same, take bike in they open ticket with specialized/mail off bad motor, new motor came in 3-7 days. That shop is doing you dirty.

Posted: Sep 23, 2023 at 12:22 Quote
pbfan08 wrote:
Yeah not to pile on here, but I own two Levo's one for me one for my wife. Between the two I've replaced 4 motors since 2020 when i bought the first one. Pretty much all have been a week turn around, the longest being 2 weeks and that was the peak of the 2021 bike/part shortage. It was always the same, take bike in they open ticket with specialized/mail off bad motor, new motor came in 3-7 days. That shop is doing you dirty.
Humm, I don't believe for a moment that OP's experience was an isolated case, and would not obsolve Specialized from accountability.
I took my less than 2 weeks old bike to a Specialized owned store with a failed freehub body.
They tried to sell me a replacement part, which they had in stock, with the threat that a warranty claim would take up to 2 weeks.
I offered to buy the part with the condition that when the warranty claim was approved they would refund my money.
I was told that would not be possible.
I asked them to initiate the warranty claim and I would wait 2 weeks rather than get screwed over like that.
Called 2 weeks later and was told there had been no response from Specialized but that they would send a follow up email.
Called a week after that and was told the warranty claim had been denied due to normal wear and tear.
Called Specialized Rider Care to voice my grievance and was told no warranty claim had ever been submitted, they were sorry for my inconvenience, and that they would contact to store to investigate.
Yes, a regional service guys got involved. Yes, I got a call from the store saying a warranty replacement part was being shipped to them. Yes, in 2 more weeks (5 weeks total) I got a new freehub body installed on my bike.
I'm certain Specialized is aware of these instances of total failure in warranty servicing process, even through their own stores, but fails to take necessary steps to put an end to it!

Posted: Sep 24, 2023 at 2:20 Quote
I don’t know why things would be different here in the Uk but spesh has always had the best customer care . I’m lucky to have 2 lbs within 10miles , 1 is a spesh turbo shop and the other is independent and sells them , both shops stock motors and I’ve used both for motor warranties. Both just examined this bike and swapped the motor for a new one there and then . They put in a claim but will change the motor before spesh get back to them which is why I’ll buy spesh again .
I don’t believe spesh runs loads of tests on these blown motors before making a decision , something else is happening !

Posted: Sep 24, 2023 at 13:13 Quote
I took mine to lbs first, was told spesh don't cover warranty fitting of a motor and if I didn't want to pay the £50 plus more if any cables etc needed replacing too I should go to a specialized store. Don't know if that's standard practice or not but not too much of problem as a specialized shop was only another half an hour away. Dropped it off on a Friday at the specialized store (Harrogate), they had ready by the Wednesday with a replaced motor and new motor cable. All in all three days turnaround not sure exactly when but it was last year, thats my experience so far. Couldn't have done more for me, kept in touch etc answered any questions I had. Even let a mate of mine pick it up for me, just rang ahead.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 27, 2023 at 6:39 Quote
16rally wrote:
Humm, I don't believe for a moment that OP's experience was an isolated case, and would not obsolve Specialized from accountability.
I took my less than 2 weeks old bike to a Specialized owned store with a failed freehub body.
They tried to sell me a replacement part, which they had in stock, with the threat that a warranty claim would take up to 2 weeks.
I offered to buy the part with the condition that when the warranty claim was approved they would refund my money.
I asked them to initiate the warranty claim and I would wait 2 weeks rather than get screwed over like that.
Called 2 weeks later and was told there had been no response from Specialized but that they would send a follow up email.
Called a week after that and was told the warranty claim had been denied due to normal wear and tear.
Called Specialized Rider Care to voice my grievance and was told no warranty claim had ever been submitted, they were sorry for my inconvenience, and that they would contact to store to investigate.
Yes, a regional service guys got involved. Yes, I got a call from the store saying a warranty replacement part was being shipped to them. Yes, in 2 more weeks (5 weeks total) I got a new freehub body installed on my bike.
I'm certain Specialized is aware of these instances of total failure in warranty servicing process, even through their own stores, but fails to take necessary steps to put an end to it!

Again this sounds like 100% the shop, they tried to sell you a part from their inventory, of course spec won't honor any of that and refund anything; and why would the LBS refund you and take back a used part... I don't understand how you think that's a fix that would work for anyone but you...

Then when you contact specialized directly they forced the matter with the LBS and it got fixed...

Not saying there's not a lot of shitty bike shops out there, there are, but nothing in your story indicates the manufacturer is screwing you. Just the dumb hourly bike store puke that was too stoned to wait on hold with the vendor.

Posted: Sep 27, 2023 at 10:17 Quote
pbfan08 wrote:
16rally wrote:

Again this sounds like 100% the shop, they tried to sell you a part from their inventory, of course spec won't honor any of that and refund anything; and why would the LBS refund you and take back a used part... I don't understand how you think that's a fix that would work for anyone but you...

Then when you contact specialized directly they forced the matter with the LBS and it got fixed...

Not saying there's not a lot of shitty bike shops out there, there are, but nothing in your story indicates the manufacturer is screwing you. Just the dumb hourly bike store puke that was too stoned to wait on hold with the vendor.
A few rebuttals and I'll leave it at that:
1) I was proposing for them to refund my money after specialized approved the warranty claim and supplied them with the replacement part. I wasn't suggesting for them to take back a used part.
2) I made it clear that this was a Specialized owned store. More than that, a corporate store, one that Specialized built from scratch. I know, because i worked across the street from that location which used to be a ski shop.
3) One of two parties fabricated a big lie. Either the store saying that my warranty claim had been denied, or Specialized Ryder Care claiming that no claim had been submitted. Either way, no error and/or omission but a deliberate, premeditated lie!
4) and finally, if it was the shop, that is still Specialized in this instance. And that is the reason I said earlier that Specialized cannot be completely obsolved from accountability.

Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 10:26 Quote
I'm not sure what the deal is with these specialized shops here in SoCal. I have my new S-works Kenevo SL in a Specialized owned shop down here and am waiting to hear back on a claim for my X2 shock being blown out after only a short time on it. So far after going on two weeks they say it hasent been decided if its being covered or will be a paid repair.

Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 13:17 Quote
prezendes wrote:
I'm not sure what the deal is with these specialized shops here in SoCal. I have my new S-works Kenevo SL in a Specialized owned shop down here and am waiting to hear back on a claim for my X2 shock being blown out after only a short time on it. So far after going on two weeks they say it hasent been decided if its being covered or will be a paid repair.

I've had good luck going direct to Fox, setting up a warranty claim, and mailing my part to them. It is a little risky because you have to commit to mailing it to them before they can make their decision on if it is covered, but in my experience they're very fair about what is and isn't covered. And of course they'll offer to mail it right back if it isn't covered under warranty... but at that point you may as well pay them to fix it. And if I'm paying out of pocket for a repair I'd much rather it be direct to Fox also so I know I'm getting a thorough and skilled repair job (hopefully).

Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 17:18 Quote
prezendes wrote:
Forget about Specialized handling your warranty claim. Go get your bike ASAP, start an online warranty service request directly with Fox, send your X2 in and you should have a new one in about one week.
It's a pretty low risk endeavor because of Fox's current campaign on taking care of 2021-2023 Float X2's.
As an aside, I have a feeling if you called Specialized Rider Care they will tell you no claim has been filed with them yet.

Posted: Oct 14, 2023 at 21:15 Quote
Yeah, if I don’t hear back from the next week I’m planing on doing that. They told me they sent my shock to Fox though and it’s not at the shop.

Posted: Oct 21, 2023 at 16:19 Quote
Got mine back at last with an all new shock. They also gave me a new AXS reverb dropper to replace the failed fox transfer so I can’t complain!!

Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 16:50 Quote
getinsideways415 wrote:
Does anyone know of warranties and transferable?

Yes. Need original receipt of sale. I had my motor replaced in this situation.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012239
Mobile Version of Website