best tire preasure for DH

PB Forum :: Downhill
best tire preasure for DH
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 14:47 Quote
I prefer to keep my tires low so in the wet i run 26 PSI in the front and 32 PSI in the rear (although i ride a hardtail) and in the dry around 35 PSI front and 40 PSI rear, I am not too precise with my dry conditions since i live in england... Good weather is a rarity

Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
Seriuosly though it depends on what you ride. Bromont i would ride 35 front and 38 rear and for anything else....i would 50psi is the best

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 16:22 Quote
I did a full day's riding on a local DH complex, put the pump on the tubes at home, 10psi in the front and 12 in the back, on the rootiest, roughest tracks I've ever ridden >

That wasn't planned lol, I can't believe I didn't flat.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 17:21 Quote
3lfd3wd wrote:
I did a full day's riding on a local DH complex, put the pump on the tubes at home, 10psi in the front and 12 in the back, on the rootiest, roughest tracks I've ever ridden >

That wasn't planned lol, I can't believe I didn't flat.

At that point you could have flatted and wouldn't notice.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
jeez! 12 psi! im suprized u didnt bend the shit outa ur rim!

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 20:42 Quote
jf951 wrote:
jeez! 12 psi! im suprized u didnt bend the shit outa ur rim!

haha he never said he didnt, he just said he was suprised he didnt flat, nothing about his rims lol

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 22:59 Quote
Rims were fine too Razz

I was impressed by how well the bike tracked over roots, didn't realise why until I was at home

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 23:22 Quote
Good debate- I've run 18psi on Arrow 2.5's front and back on a wet track and did well, next race I ran them at 28psi in the "Malache" dirt- (Perfect Dirt) - and did really well. So it depends on the track, the tire width, your racing skill and goals will factor it in the correct pressure for your situation- although if you run higher than 40psi , your asking for a fast run with risks of pinch flatting. Tire choice for racing is critical- I'm not a fan of Kenda at all- they roll off a rim if you sneeze too hard- beads on their tires are Wal-mart quality. I race only on Arrow Racing products- they lock on the rim, sidewalls are designed not to pinch flat- I've raced all my races without problems- including hard practice days. The only US owned tire company= Arrow Racing! And I have yet to hear anyone bag on their MAXXIS tread. Good product for sure- Our local shop mechanic runs the Michelin treads and swears by them......

I want to take a tire gauge to some pro's bike at the next race for a survey....stand by for more interesting input.

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 0:49 Quote
Sounds like someone's employed by them! The name-dropping was a bit excessive Razz

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 1:23 Quote
i always run at ]
20 for downhill
40 for freeride
65 for street and park

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
3lfd3wd wrote:
Sounds like someone's employed by them! The name-dropping was a bit excessive Razz

Sounds like to me- I just taught you some shit you had no clue about- go ride some KENDA'S in your next race. I predict a flat!

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 10:23 Quote
as low as you can go without flatting

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 16:55 Quote
postcanyonloc wrote:
3lfd3wd wrote:

Sounds like to me- I just taught you some shit you had no clue about- go ride some KENDA'S in your next race. I predict a flat!

Ouch. That's rough. Really, it wouldn't matter what tire I had on, I could predict a flat on a Hood practice. That's a bummer man. I've started running 30-32psi, and that's been working better. I had probably 6 or 8 flats during last season.

P.S. I ran Kenda's at Sea Otter, and they worked well, but I also had a scabby leg from practice the week before where the front washed away. No bueno

Posted: May 2, 2008 at 20:50 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
postcanyonloc wrote:
3lfd3wd wrote:

Ouch. That's rough. Really, it wouldn't matter what tire I had on, I could predict a flat on a Hood practice. That's a bummer man. I've started running 30-32psi, and that's been working better. I had probably 6 or 8 flats during last season.

P.S. I ran Kenda's at Sea Otter, and they worked well, but I also had a scabby leg from practice the week before where the front washed away. No bueno

You all seem to forget (with the exception of Postcanyonloc) that it is highly dependent on the tire itself in many cases. Many people run tires rated for no less than 35psi as low as 20psi, then wonder why they wash out, pinch-flat, etc. Different conditions require different setups, but to assume one tire works for all conditions just by adjusting the tire pressure is a little naive.

Posted: May 3, 2008 at 2:04 Quote
postcanyonloc wrote:
3lfd3wd wrote:

Grow up tbh

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016992
Mobile Version of Website