2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
2020 Specialized Enduro Thoughts
Posted: Feb 23, 2024 at 9:56 Quote
jojotherider1977 wrote:
Im curious how many 2nd and 3rd hand owners have had success with a cracked head tube replacement under warranty.

I'm a 2nd/3rd owner (not sure) maybe 6th, and last time I checked there seems to be a small crack on my head tube top cup.
Right now it has 1 DH and 1 enduro race after that last check, so probably it got worse.

I'll let you all know how that goes.

Posted: Feb 24, 2024 at 10:57 Quote
i think its broken again. Pimp

Its already the black matte warranty frame.

again

Posted: Feb 24, 2024 at 18:45 Quote
How are people cracking their upper bearing races so commonly? Over tightening the bolt into the starnut or whatever they're using to compress the topcap (or swattool)? It seems like there should never be any pressure on that race... All of the force should be on the lower race, unless you wreck and flip your bike, landing it upside down... No?

Posted: Feb 24, 2024 at 19:47 Quote
keju wrote:
How are people cracking their upper bearing races so commonly? Over tightening the bolt into the starnut or whatever they're using to compress the topcap (or swattool)? It seems like there should never be any pressure on that race... All of the force should be on the lower race, unless you wreck and flip your bike, landing it upside down... No?
Facepalm

Any sort of fore/aft load (such as braking) on the fork puts load on the upper race.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2024 at 22:38 Quote
It’s a major design flaw and I’m really surprised there hasn’t been a recall at this point. I’m on my third frame and the pattern is repeating itself again. Creaking and popping that happens with decreasing duration between headset cleaning/regreasing and then the crack presents itself. I haven’t had a frame last more than 500 miles.

It’s a shame because this is one of the best riding bikes I’ve ever owned but the headset area keeps failing.

Posted: Feb 24, 2024 at 23:21 Quote
Was that with a stock headset or aftermarket?

I put a King in mine and have had no problems despite putting it through some nasty shit.

Posted: Feb 24, 2024 at 23:42 Quote
duffman1976 wrote:
It’s a major design flaw and I’m really surprised there hasn’t been a recall at this point. I’m on my third frame and the pattern is repeating itself again. Creaking and popping that happens with decreasing duration between headset cleaning/regreasing and then the crack presents itself. I haven’t had a frame last more than 500 miles.

It’s a shame because this is one of the best riding bikes I’ve ever owned but the headset area keeps failing.

The main problem is, that the bearing seat is not well made. As this new frame arrived, the bearing was really sloppy in it, if i compare it with my Banshee headset, the headset bearing has a firm seat.

I was always thinking about, to but a CNC machined Cup in the frame to have a proper bearing cup, and not this carbon crap...

I love the bike!! Works awesome...

But yeah...

I was using since day one a chris king headset.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2024 at 7:21 Quote
Hamburgi wrote:
duffman1976 wrote:

The main problem is, that the bearing seat is not well made. As this new frame arrived, the bearing was really sloppy in it, if i compare it with my Banshee headset, the headset bearing has a firm seat.

I was always thinking about, to but a CNC machined Cup in the frame to have a proper bearing cup, and not this carbon crap...

I love the bike!! Works awesome...

But yeah...

I was using since day one a chris king headset.

Exactly, my current replacement frame (black s-works), has play in the upper headset bearing when it’s dropped in. A machined cup would have much better tolerances.

My other bike is a Yeti SB130. I wanted it slacker so installed the slack’r kit on it which is basically 2 machined cups that sandwich the head tube. Haven’t had one problem with that.

Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 6:38 Quote
[/Quote]

[/Quote]

That sound like a great idea. A metal cup on top would be great, as long as it has a tight fit to the frame.

Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 6:44 Quote
For what its worth, there should be some play in the top cup before torquing to spec. Its designed to float a little and then settle into place.

Anyway I also think its a crap deign, this will be rectified in the new Enduro for sure like they have done with the new Kenevo SL, Levo etc with the metal cups.

Stumpjumper previous gen had this same problem, I never fixed the float/movement unless I put PTFE or tape round the edge of the upper bearing.

Riding at Dyfi bike park was enough to get the bearing to float on my enduro I could feel it moving.

Awful design.

Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 7:20 Quote
If you can feel the bearing move you either have a bad frame or you didn’t tighten your headset enough.

An IS headset should not have play. The bearing sits in a 45deg taper just like any other headset except the taper is part of the frame instead of a machined cup pressed in.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 13:27 Quote
I'm riding mine with those headset cracks now for 2+ years, stuped creaking once I greased it a lot.

Posted: Mar 8, 2024 at 12:40 Quote
I’ve got a turquoise 2020 Enduro frame with 1000s of miles on it. I raced it and beat it to hell for two seasons at the bike park and it’s still going strong.

No issues. Never even changed a bearing haha.

Posted: Mar 21, 2024 at 14:48 Quote
New frame all sorted. Shop tried to charge me labour which I thought was odd. Apparently Specialized NZ doesn't pay labour for warranty jobs. I have an automotive background so this broke my brain a little where we do payout.

I went down a size to an S3. at 180cm is such a better fit for me.

photo

Posted: Mar 21, 2024 at 17:14 Quote
Unfortunately in the bike industry it’s pretty rare for a shop to get compensated for warranty work.

Generally if you got the product from them they’ll eat the labor cost. If not they’ll charge you for it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014986
Mobile Version of Website