Powered by Outside

Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 17:21 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:
So I bent my dh38 lowers in a crash and stripped my rear shock trunnion mount on my demo race 29. I was wondering if I could put an air shock on the 2020 demo?

Jesus. How bad was the crash
also the trunnion mount was from a bad torque wrench

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 17:52 Quote
So could I just bend the lowers straight and keep using them?

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 19:19 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

no

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 19:25 Quote
If the lowers are bent the crowns and stanchions could be sol as well

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 20:48 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:

Absolutely not. Ohlins has amazing customer service. Contact them or a dealer. They might do a crash replacement.

As for the trunnion mount, I never completely trust a torque wrench. If it feels like I'm over tightening it I stop. You must have been putting a lot of muscle into it to be able to strip it.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:

Absolutely not. Ohlins has amazing customer service. Contact them or a dealer. They might do a crash replacement.

As for the trunnion mount, I never completely trust a torque wrench. If it feels like I'm over tightening it I stop. You must have been putting a lot of muscle into it to be able to strip it.

I'm struggling to work out how the allen key broach didn't fail first. Trunnion threads are really, really strong. Even with a bad torque wrench it's going to be a serious challenge to strip one out.

Also yeah. Trying to bend the lowers straight again isn't going to work. New lowers is essentially the only solution

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
dhsender1234 wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
dhsender1234 wrote:
So I bent my dh38 lowers in a crash and stripped my rear shock trunnion mount on my demo race 29. I was wondering if I could put an air shock on the 2020 demo?

Jesus. How bad was the crash
surprisingly It wasn’t that bad, just unlucky enough to catch my front wheel on a root and the bike threw me forward. Surprisingly no injuries though.

Glad you are ok from that crash but are those trees and their roots covered on kryptonite or similar?

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
so recently I broke my forks and didn't want to spend money repairing them as I was looking into new bikes and wondered if someone who had been riding mtb for a year and a half would benefit from a downhill bike as downhill tech is the sort of riding I enjoy, thanks alot.

Mod
Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
@ i-love-downhill same situation, i started riding in nov. 2019. i just bought a downhill bike 4 days ago and i love it

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
I-love-downhill wrote:
so recently I broke my forks and didn't want to spend money repairing them as I was looking into new bikes and wondered if someone who had been riding mtb for a year and a half would benefit from a downhill bike as downhill tech is the sort of riding I enjoy, thanks alot.
you will probably hear from a lot of people how Enduro bikes are more than capable enough on downhill tracks. And while i agree I also think that the downhill bike feels very different and you can just get away with a lot more stuff. Downhill bikes are amazing and if you ride lift assisted exclusively then get a downhill bike. They also can handle more abuse and won't require quite as much repairs.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
thanks alot for the replies guys!

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 11:34 Quote
I-love-downhill wrote:

It really depends on your riding access and terrain in your area.

If you don't have shuttle access or lift access a DH bike while capable on the downs and great to ride is not much fun going up hills or pushing. Same is your terrain is less demanding and lower angle you may be better off with something easier to pedal.

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I-love-downhill wrote:

It really depends on your riding access and terrain in your area.

If you don't have shuttle access or lift access a DH bike while capable on the downs and great to ride is not much fun going up hills or pushing. Same is your terrain is less demanding and lower angle you may be better off with something easier to pedal.

^ this right here. I'm even considering trading my DH bike for an Enduro just because my local resort only has like 1 run where you really need a DH bike.

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 16:04 Quote
I tried 3 different bars and stem, a reach adjustable headset and still find my bike too big for me.

Not always but I feel it hard to turn in tight corners, whip and also so exhausting to ride. Even with my first bars from my previous bike I experienced pain on my wrists and elbows (never happened to me before).

After a month with it shall I still try to adapt to it (and if so, how) or just I should consider to sell the frame and look for a shorter one?

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
norfiril wrote:
I tried 3 different bars and stem, a reach adjustable headset and still find my bike too big for me.

Not always but I feel it hard to turn in tight corners, whip and also so exhausting to ride. Even with my first bars from my previous bike I experienced pain on my wrists and elbows (never happened to me before).

After a month with it shall I still try to adapt to it (and if so, how) or just I should consider to sell the frame and look for a shorter one?

Ive been struggling with this lately too. Reach is too long. Sounds like youve tried all the other things i would mention except for rolling the bars back a bit so grips are in line with stem cap. This it what i did and it helped greatly. Also could look into an eccentric bb to decrease reach/extend chainstay. Reach tends to be a bit shorter in the 'high' setting if your bike has the option for it

Maybe see if someone with the same frame would be willing to trade for a different size?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019003
Mobile Version of Website