Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Mod
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 7:22 Quote
new to me counts
also, 26 aint dead. this guy on reddit HATED 26 like bro chill 26ers are fun

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 8:40 Quote
I rode a 26" bike long after the industry most everyone else had moved on. The standards and parts availability is what made me give it up, just didn't make sense to keep putting old parts on an old bike forever especially when new bikes are so good and most 26" bikes are beat to crap by now.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 8:54 Quote
26 are def more fun to throw around but when you're riding with friends that have 275 or 29 theres def a momentum gap there. 275 and 29 friends will leave you. Even on smooth jump trails.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 9:43 Quote
I did mean new as in I can buy one new with a warranty, although leftover new frames all the way back to 2018ish is fine too. I’m just trying to get some ideas.

I’m so confused on where to start a new build. I can’t demo any bikes. I used to ride a lot of different frames, but broke my neck in 2019 at Northstar on a Gambler. Had a few Gamblers, Glorys, Supremes, and Voltages in the 2010s..

95% healed up, docs gave me the green light 2 years ago, I just mentally haven’t been ready til now.

Thinking about new TR 11, frame is priced well. Also like Canfield Jedi and Commencal FRS, for different reasons. Would love to find a 2017 Giant Glory alloy in mint condition, I had one and loved how safe it made me feel, although it wasn’t the most “fun” dh bike ever.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 10:08 Quote
I've gone back and ridden 26" bikes on the same trails as my 27.5 and 29 rides and I'd never go back to 26" for anything other than dj or skatepark riding.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 10:28 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I did mean new as in I can buy one new with a warranty, although leftover new frames all the way back to 2018ish is fine too. I’m just trying to get some ideas.

I’m so confused on where to start a new build. I can’t demo any bikes. I used to ride a lot of different frames, but broke my neck in 2019 at Northstar on a Gambler. Had a few Gamblers, Glorys, Supremes, and Voltages in the 2010s..

95% healed up, docs gave me the green light 2 years ago, I just mentally haven’t been ready til now.

Thinking about new TR 11, frame is priced well. Also like Canfield Jedi and Commencal FRS, for different reasons. Would love to find a 2017 Giant Glory alloy in mint condition, I had one and loved how safe it made me feel, although it wasn’t the most “fun” dh bike ever.

I just ordered a new TR11, set to be delivered today actually. My previous was the new Trek Session. While the new Session is amazing for racing, it wasn't the most fun bike. Really leaning into whips or doing flips or spins on it just didn't work. Very odd when you're going up the lip and the rear wheel is moving away from you. The TR11 goes back at first but then pretty much from Sag it starts moving forward again. Seems like a great bike. And it is rad being able to run it mullet or full 275.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 11:38 Quote
mior wrote:
ShawMac wrote:
mior wrote:

Banshee legend

I thought I was the only one with this dream!

Damn financial responsibilities and obligations...

I see it as a classier demo

Its a very different bike to the demo. I ran a legend for a while. Cool little bike. Very stable, and pedalled like a dream. Unfortunately its now hanging on my workshop wall with a few cracks in the swingarm, and some welds where it had cracked previously. To help you calibrate on my riding style, i weigh about 70kg and have never cracked any of the 3 trek sessions I have owned.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

I just ordered a new TR11, set to be delivered today actually. My previous was the new Trek Session. While the new Session is amazing for racing, it wasn't the most fun bike. Really leaning into whips or doing flips or spins on it just didn't work. Very odd when you're going up the lip and the rear wheel is moving away from you. The TR11 goes back at first but then pretty much from Sag it starts moving forward again. Seems like a great bike. And it is rad being able to run it mullet or full 275.

Agreed. I've ridden high pivots, but not for more than a few laps. Never owned one. The times I rode them they felt totally alien, really weird in corners, really weird on jumps, just kinda weird everywhere. I felt like the only way to ride them was to kinda hang off the back all the time and just be a passenger. I've always figured maybe once I got used to it I might get on better with it, but I'm not really inclined to put the effort into getting used to it.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 12:16 Quote
I owned the first gen high pivot Supreme. I think 2016

It was definitely different, and felt weird on jumps at first. You do get used to it after a couple days. I don’t like the idea of idle pulleys wearing out and more parts to replace in general.

After my injury now, I won’t be prioritizing big air and whips (can’t flip or spin), and I’m thinking a racey bike like that is what I actually want.

I have a Status 160 that I can use for medium sized jumps and flow.

TR11 seems like a very neutral DH bike, and me not being the fastest guy in the world, it’s probably still racey enough for what I’m going to use it for.

Or just go full race with Canfield Jedi and live in the chunk

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 13:25 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:

It was definitely different, and felt weird on jumps at first. You do get used to it after a couple days. I don’t like the idea of idle pulleys wearing out and more parts to replace in general.

After my injury now, I won’t be prioritizing big air and whips (can’t flip or spin), and I’m thinking a racey bike like that is what I actually want.

TR11 seems like a very neutral DH bike, and me not being the fastest guy in the world, it’s probably still racey enough for what I’m going to use it for.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. May just be a sense of which brand to you want to support? I landed on the TR11 because they use the same frame for their Rampage guys as they do the WC race team. (Granted Salido and Riddle are full 275 but same frame and geometry). Good luck in your decision!

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 13:31 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. May just be a sense of which brand to you want to support? I landed on the TR11 because they use the same frame for their Rampage guys as they do the WC race team. (Granted Salido and Riddle are full 275 but same frame and geometry). Good luck in your decision!

Post pics of the TR11 and let us know how it rides!

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 13:48 Quote
I'm 80% of the way through building my TR11 lol

Picked it because the geo looked good and it was extremely competitively priced.

The only other things on the market that look interesting to me are the Gambler (I loved my 2017) and maybe the Demo.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 13:55 Quote
I can’t believe you guys don’t like 26, although I only ride dj and dh bikes so that could be why I dont mind

I always thought my buddies on their 275 were just faster riders…

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 15:10 Quote
I used to love 26” wheels and hate 29ers, simply for maneuverability. I haven’t tried a 29er DH bike yet, but all the 2020 and newer trail/enduro 29ers I’ve tried have been much more maneuverable than any big wheel bike I tried prior.

Something in modern geometry has practically solved the maneuverability problem with big wheels. For me anyways, I’m a larger dude. Idk if all this has translated to 29er dh bikes though.

Some of the geo changes companies made to the trail and enduro bikes, like steeper seat tube angles and ridiculously long reaches, do not translate as well to dh bikes. Some better than others obviously.

Maybe I should try a 29er bike this summer before I go whole hog. Or go mullet like the TR11, just to be safer and still benefit 50% from big wheels.

TR11 just moved up a notch over the Jedi.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 16:27 Quote
fredro wrote:
They still make 26"???? Honest question...

Clearly you are not into the dj scene.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018432
Mobile Version of Website