Powered by Outside

Lets see those fuel ex's

PB Forum :: Trek
Lets see those fuel ex's
O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2023 at 6:04 Quote
BaGearA wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:
I just finished by Ex Gen 6 build and had a solid evening of running laps to tune the suspension. I quickly realized that the spring calculator I used is off by a lot so I'm running way too much sag.

photo

If anyone else is considering using a coil, use the link and image below to help you determine what you need.

Formula for calculating spring rate - Scroll down the page to "Spring Rate Calculation #1" http://canecreek.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-coil-springs-mtb/

See here for the Gen 6 spring rate chart.
photo

Hope this helps! I have 2 standard black springs on the way (500lb and 550lb), and I'll update once I try them.

2 months in and what do you think of the coil ? I'm running the FLoat X FS which is nice but craving the feel of coil again

I ran the coil for just under 2 months and switched to air for the month of June, in preparation for a race. My primary reasons for the switch are below.
1.) I had a 7 day stage race and the air shock was 1lb lighter.
2.) The Float X has a climb/trail switch that actually works.
3.) Easier to adjust spring rate for the unknown type of trails I would be riding while traveling.

As for the performance of the coil when I was running it, it was mostly good but still not quit what I was looking for. The bike was quiet, and super supple, but would also get caught up in bigger pockets of roots and rocks. I ran a considerable amount of compression damping and rebound to compensate for what I felt was lack of support, and it did not feel good on high speed sections with a lot of chunk. I often wondered if my spring rate was still too low. After setting up the Float X and playing around with spring rate, I realized that I likely need to jump from the 500lb spring to the 550 that I have sitting on the workbench.

I just arrived home from my trip so I'm about to rebuild the bike today, swap on the coil again, and run the 550lb spring. I'll update when I have some time on this spring.

Posted: Jul 21, 2023 at 10:06 Quote
Funny how many people are over forking and building tweaking there new fuels..just ride a slash fools..my slash is actually way lighter thanks these new fuels pedals great and leaves nothing on the descents..the new fuel doesn't know what itwhats to be

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2023 at 11:25 Quote
Bulleit90 wrote:
Funny how many people are over forking and building tweaking there new fuels..just ride a slash fools..my slash is actually way lighter thanks these new fuels pedals great and leaves nothing on the descents..the new fuel doesn't know what itwhats to be

The Slash is quite a bit longer and it's slacker, not always a great combination depending on the area one is riding. I went from a longer/slacker bike to the new Fuel and got considerably faster on the descents. The size of the Slash and the imbalanced geometry (on paper) made the Fuel Ex the clear choice.

I do agree that the new Fuel does not need to be over forked. A 38 and/or Zeb is way overkill and 160mm is honestly unecessary with the geo when running full 29". I'm 193 lbs, running a Factory 36 at the stock 150mm, and the bike handles great. It even handles all of the steep stuff in the PNW (just got back from Sqaumish). As for running a coil, that's just a preference in feel, one that I'm not sold on but I continue to experiement with.

O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2023 at 19:46 Quote
Bulleit90 wrote:

photo

Posted: Jul 22, 2023 at 22:44 Quote
My TTX22M arrived today , will go on during the week and I'll only ne able to report back next week.

Very excited , had a ttx22m on my santa Hightower 4 years ago and i was blown away

Now to have one on a modern bike that's been ground up tuned for me is a very exciting prospect.

Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 5:10 Quote
photo

Very impressed

was very much worth it to wait to have it tuned for me

Unbelievable on the downs , ups not great but with the enduro valve putting it in 3 makes a huge difference

Posted: Aug 3, 2023 at 7:33 Quote
Talk about please? front fork travel? rear wheel? 27,5?
Brdjanin wrote:
Hi guys, just finished build of my custom Fuel Ex and here are photos
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Aug 3, 2023 at 18:35 Quote
Love My wee fuel, 240mm oneup dropper, oneup 35 bars.. only dislike is the small headtube causes alot of flex in the front, side note: Forekaster in the rear is awesome.
photo

Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 4:00 Quote
I need something like these!!!
NZracer91 wrote:
Love My wee fuel, 240mm oneup dropper, oneup 35 bars.. only dislike is the small headtube causes alot of flex in the front, side note: Forekaster in the rear is awesome.
photo

Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 8:42 Quote
NZracer91 wrote:
only dislike is the small headtube causes alot of flex in the front

Maybe there really was something to the (much-derided) "Straight Shot Downtube" and its accompanying "Knock Block" after all?

O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 9:10 Quote
NZracer91 wrote:
Love My wee fuel, 240mm oneup dropper, oneup 35 bars.. only dislike is the small headtube causes

I guarantee you are not feeling flex from the headtube.

Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 10:44 Quote
NZracer91 wrote:
photo

Just looking at the mega extension of that seat post and the stack of spacers under the stem I’m thinking you got a bike that’s at least a size too small for you. Glad you love it though.

Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 14:24 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
NZracer91 wrote:
Love My wee fuel, 240mm oneup dropper, oneup 35 bars.. only dislike is the small headtube causes

I guarantee you are not feeling flex from the headtube.

It's not so much the headtube but the lack of, The fork steerer is flexing, ive ran this exact setup an bar height on every large but often with bigger headtubes.
All good if you cant feel it.

Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 14:30 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
NZracer91 wrote:
photo

Just looking at the mega extension of that seat post and the stack of spacers under the stem I’m thinking you got a bike that’s at least a size too small for you. Glad you love it though.

If you make that Headtube the same length as other larges and spacers ontop of stem... suddenly it looks different.

at 6ft with long inseam(and cramped knees, for e.g i have to open my knee more than others or it cramps) shorter torso and arms. the fit of this bike is spot on.

If i posted the same photo with a 210 dropper at same height it would again look different. or even if the bike itself has a longer seat tube(the fuel is quite short) it, again would look different

I've always ridden larges, ones like the current slash is to big for me.

ThIs bike is excellent, it fits awesome to pedal and standing its a wee rocket.

Curious here, Why cant it be acceptable to fit a bike like an XC bike for the ride up the hill but also be great fitting for down the hill.. why is that a problem on pinkbike? All those XC racers must be doing it wrong?
Do i have to sit too low like many do so i look cool?

Posted: Aug 6, 2023 at 15:01 Quote
I see nothing wrong with that setup.
The fuel frames are very low and long now - Perspective is probably the issue.

short seat tube allows for longer droppers, Im assuming Based on that image about 885mm pedal to saddle Rail which is about right for me aswell and im 182, basically 6ft.

Short headtubes are a problem currently which also introduce low stack so running it in the stock config with stem spacers with some slight riser bars is normal.

If the headtube and Seat post were longer like on other brands say the spectral... while running same bar and saddle height it would look different..... I chose the spectral because that bike is smaller but looks bigger due to seat tube and headtube being taller.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019590
Mobile Version of Website