Powered by Outside

Giant glory vs Intense Socom, what should i choose

PB Forum :: Downhill
Giant glory vs Intense Socom, what should i choose
Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 13:39 Quote
depends on what kind of riding you do. If you are going to do strictly dh then go for the giant if you are going to do dh and like free ride type stuff i would go for the intense also you should check out a santa cruz ullit thats bike is sick for dh and free ride.

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 13:42 Quote
marquis wrote:
MooMoo2323 wrote:
i injured my knee while riding and was out for almost 6 months. while recovering, i got a socom and built it up light: totem solo air, dh parts, but with XC wheels so i could ride it on trails as i built strength up in my knee. so, i cracked the frame where the top tube meets the seat tube while ONLY riding xc. b/c of that, i decided never to ride an intense again. and they're creaky, flexy frames too.

You mean this kinda flexxy.

photo

alot of that is in the rim....

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 13:42 Quote
mikeonetray13 wrote:
marquis wrote:
MooMoo2323 wrote:
i injured my knee while riding and was out for almost 6 months. while recovering, i got a socom and built it up light: totem solo air, dh parts, but with XC wheels so i could ride it on trails as i built strength up in my knee. so, i cracked the frame where the top tube meets the seat tube while ONLY riding xc. b/c of that, i decided never to ride an intense again. and they're creaky, flexy frames too.

photo

and tire

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 13:44 Quote
mikeonetray13 wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:
marquis wrote:

photo

and tire

Testers words not mine.

I picked this bike up and as I pedaled away from the booth an assertive and persistent creak was immediately apparent. By the time I had gotten to the shuttle truck other people waiting with us wandered over and puzzled over the rear end with us looking for the source. We grabbed the rear tire and torqued it back and forth and were amazed at the amount of movement. We went methodically over ever bolt and none were loose or sheared (well, we didn't take the cranks off to check the drive side lower swing link bolts). The rear wheel had sufficient spoke tension, the Saint hub acted fine, the rear dropouts were snug, the thru axle was tight and in tact (something I later confirmed when I flatted and had to remove the rear wheel). We couldn't find any cracks or obvious damage either. I put my fingers over the point where the swing links interface with the frame members as we flexed to see if the bearings had play, but this did not seem to be the case either. The bearing bores may have been a touch big allowing the cartridges to rotate in the bores or something. Dunno. The rear end just swam and made a horrible noise. This was not actually that obvious while riding the bike interestingly enough. The Travis fork was a big let down. it was really not that supple over trail chop and had an amazingly linear stroke that I was able to bottom without trying very hard off a small drop on the upper trails. I was so surprised I went back and rode off it 2 more times, and stuffed the o-ring to the crown each time with a good thunk. The Revox shock also was somewhat bucky and choppy. Pedaling manners when applying easy to medium pressure to the cranks (say, during cruising or easy climbing) resulted in a huge amount of shock movement and a very soft feel. We measured the sag and came up with with about 30% so the spring rate my not have been quite right. This is a race bike after all, and I have to say that hard efforts like cranking when carrying speed up rock faces and sprinting did pull the rear end into a more solid state suspension-wise. The geometry was excellent and the handling spot-on for carrying speed through g-outs and around all manner of turns and over off-camber rock sections, but things were never

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 13:46 Quote
[Quote="marquis"]
mikeonetray13 wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:

and tire

Testers words not mine. blahblah

yeah i would just asy that most that pic is the tire and the rim my bro did the same thing on his old bike too

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 13:53 Quote
mikeonetray13 wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:
marquis wrote:

photo

and tire

agreed, that rear triangle looks pretty straight in relations to the main frame.
it looks to me like that flex in the pic is 100% wheel flex and not rear suspension lateral flex.

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 13:56 Quote
mtblocos1 wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:

and tire

agreed, that rear triangle looks pretty straight in relations to the main frame.
it looks to me like that flex in the pic is 100% wheel flex and not rear suspension lateral flex.

Look at the upper link,bent away from where the wheel is pointing indicating the links are flexxing,people don't wanna believe that's fine by me i just posted what i found.

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 14:05 Quote
marquis wrote:
mtblocos1 wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:

and tire

it really doesnt look likt the link is bending of flexing, it is just the angle of the picture.

Look at the upper link,bent away from where the wheel is pointing indicating the links are flexxing,people don't wanna believe that's fine by me i just posted what i found.

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 14:07 Quote
looks like the only hting flexing is the rim/ tire the angle of the picture is making the pivot it lok flexy

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 14:08 Quote
mikeonetray13 wrote:
looks like the only hting flexing is the rim/ tire the angle of the picture is making the pivot it lok flexy

Intense owner ? by any chance.

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 14:09 Quote
well, lets not derail this thread with our profesional opinions of an internet picture.
fact of the matter, every bike has lateral rear wheel flex.....'cept the Demo Razz

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 14:10 Quote
marquis wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:

no i had a uzzi intense. i now am riding an orange and a keewee.

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 at 14:11 Quote
mikeonetray13 wrote:
marquis wrote:
mikeonetray13 wrote:

no i had a uzzi intense. i now am riding an orange and a keewee.

We won't even go there with orange lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015090
Mobile Version of Website