Powered by Outside

Strava Users Thread

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 18:46 Quote
Interesting, however, it doesn't look to be compatible with HR/power/cadence. Good for timing but a Garmin will keep time just this same albeit without the thumb button.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 18:50 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
octanejake wrote:
Or you could pause your device and not record the uplift... but that still leaves the problem of gaining elevation not actually ridden up.

Who can be bothered doing that 15x in a shuttle session?

I just make the ride private. Or better yet use a bar mounted timer and enjoy having accurate timing.
This.

About the bar mount, I just don't wanna carry anything I don't have to while riding downhill, and I carry my phone for the worst case scenarios, so it's the only thing I'll use to track my laps. Also, when riding places like Whistler or the shore, when I do a different trail every single lap, or even 5+ trails a lap, I'd have to carry a sheet and a pencil to make any use of that Big Grin

About the elevation not ridden up, I don't see that as a big deal myself, as I use it to track how much have I descended, which is actually a more useful information to me than what I've climbed, however it could be solved pretty easily incorporating the idea I've posted above.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 19:01 Quote
MrDuck wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
octanejake wrote:
Or you could pause your device and not record the uplift... but that still leaves the problem of gaining elevation not actually ridden up.

Who can be bothered doing that 15x in a shuttle session?

I just make the ride private. Or better yet use a bar mounted timer and enjoy having accurate timing.
This.

About the bar mount, I just don't wanna carry anything I don't have to while riding downhill, and I carry my phone for the worst case scenarios, so it's the only thing I'll use to track my laps. Also, when riding places like Whistler or the shore, when I do a different trail every single lap, or even 5+ trails a lap, I'd have to carry a sheet and a pencil to make any use of that Big Grin

About the elevation not ridden up, I don't see that as a big deal myself, as I use it to track how much have I descended, which is actually a more useful information to me than what I've climbed, however it could be solved pretty easily incorporating the idea I've posted above.

It can store up to 50 laps or interval. I record them when i get home.

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 19:04 Quote
octanejake wrote:
Interesting, however, it doesn't look to be compatible with HR/power/cadence. Good for timing but a Garmin will keep time just this same albeit without the thumb button.

Strava doesn't work very well on my local tracks because of trees and steep valleys. I use the timer for accuracy. I use strava for total distance, average speed and ride time.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 19:54 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
It can store up to 50 laps or interval. I record them when i get home.
Now we're talking!
..or we'd be if it still didn't require me to carry an additional device. And still I'd have to assign times to trails and all that, while Strava could do it for me really easily.

I'm using the app to monitor my mediocre training and progress, which I'd like to lead back to DH racing if my shoulder ever allows that, and honestly, originally I came up with an idea of a GPS based timer, then someone pointed me to Strava and it's super close to what I needed, but minor changes would make it a huge lot more appealing, I'd rather see it go that way, than buying some device that'll make timing any more effort, 'cos then I'd probably rather get back to trying to create an alternative app focused on MTB.. Only if I didn't have such a hard time creating some analyser engine to find segments in the GPX..Frown

Posted: Sep 2, 2014 at 14:08 Quote
Maverick (Android app) is the best app for recording .gpx files for sending to upload@strava.com.
You can turn your phone off, swap batteries, and go back to recording the same activity.

No more getting the message "Did you want to save this activity of 0.0 mi?" when Strava has chunted itself while you were busting your ass.

Another nice thing about Android is that you can hot swap your helmet cam SD card and review/trim clips while eating lunch, freeing up space and considering the best lines Big Grin

edit:
By caching Maverick's satellite, topo, and street maps, I knew exactly where I was throughout Cuba on two bike tours. All the uploading of my activities, however, took place when I got back to wifi. Maverick is incredible.

Posted: Sep 8, 2014 at 8:12 Quote
Quick question for all the app users. Does anyone know about recording multiple rides before uploading. Lots of the uk and welsh trail hubs don't have signal or wifi so if you finished a ride without signal , went again and then uploaded would it only upload the most recent overwriting the first or upload both?

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2014 at 8:32 Quote
jayandgt wrote:
Quick question for all the app users. Does anyone know about recording multiple rides before uploading. Lots of the uk and welsh trail hubs don't have signal or wifi so if you finished a ride without signal , went again and then uploaded would it only upload the most recent overwriting the first or upload both?
Are you using your phone or a garmin? My garmin can store several hundred rides without downloading them, you just need to reset the time. Your phone should be able to store the rides until it's able to upload them with a better signal.

Posted: Sep 8, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
I've had up to 15 rides waiting to be uploaded on my phone. Took awhile to upload once I was connected to the internet but I didn't lose any of my rides

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 8:12 Quote
second week back on strava and I won distance last week in the pb group. f*ck roadies eh lol

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 13:17 Quote
I'm using my phone. Too poor to afford a garmin...

ahh good to hear it accepts multiple offline saves Smile

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 13:29 Quote
steezydozit wrote:
second week back on strava and I won distance last week in the pb group. @#!*% roadies eh lol

Most of my riding is on the road at the moment and I'm still lucky to do 150km a week. Luckily race season is coming up so I'll be out on dirt more regularly.

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 16:22 Quote
enduro86 wrote:
steezydozit wrote:
second week back on strava and I won distance last week in the pb group. @#!*% roadies eh lol

Most of my riding is on the road at the moment and I'm still lucky to do 150km a week. Luckily race season is coming up so I'll be out on dirt more regularly.
I don't even like rides longer than 100k normally but when I go out for group rides they just end up being 160 so that was tough. Even I do some mtb on occasion. Too bad I'm so slow.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 18:59 Quote
enduro86 wrote:
steezydozit wrote:

100k on the trails a week is a good week

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2014 at 20:18 Quote
Just joined the club, curious to see what the other riders are like.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012306
Mobile Version of Website