Specialized Status

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 4:43 Quote
Just use a reducer crown race. The bearings fit straight into the frame so there's no "headset" to replace.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 6:15 Quote
AgrAde wrote:
Just use a reducer crown race. The bearings fit straight into the frame so there's no "headset" to replace.

Brill. Cheers

Posted: May 16, 2023 at 6:21 Quote
There is no proprietary headset, specialized uses is42/52 for status so look at those headset options and check if there is any that fits a 1/8 fork

Posted: May 18, 2023 at 1:54 Quote
And then post pics once you have it fitted, sounds like it would be dope af!

O+
Posted: May 18, 2023 at 5:41 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:

Will do... building it up over next few weeks

Posted: Oct 22, 2023 at 20:08 Quote
I impulse ordered a Status 140 frame. Plan to budget build it with parts I have on hand; extra parts as well as donor parts.

Because I am a weirdo, I want to run 27.5 front and rear. I have a nice set of wide 27.5 plus wheels setup with 2.6" tires and I would ideally like to run them. I think I will rob a DVO Diamond 29er fork that is currently on another bike. It is set at 140mm, but adjustable up to 160mm. I could open it up and extend the travel, but I was trying to figure out how it would do running at the current 140mm setting.

In my mind, a 27.5 x 2.6 is pretty close to a regular 29er, but I just measured both, and I'm getting around a difference in diameter of nearly 20mm. I also measured the difference between a standard 2.4" 27.5 I have setup and the 27.5 X 2.6, and it's about a 12mm difference.

So if I just slap these 27.5 wheels on with a 140mm 29er fork, I'll lower the front about 20mm, and raise the rear 12mm. Am I asking for trouble doing this? I don't care much about the head angle being steeper, since this bike is a little slacker than I really need, but I am in the Northeast where rocks and pedal strikes are definitely a thing so lowering the BB is a bit concerning. I am planning on running 170mm cranks I have laying around.

I guess I could just throw the 29er front wheel on and run it as it's designed, but I really like bigger tires. My DVO won't take a 29" tire bigger than 2.4". I have some 27.5" tires that are 2.8" and 3.0" wide floating around as well, but they are more XC oriented and probably no good for this bike.

Anyway, any thoughts on whether this 27.5" x 2.6 setup is worth trying would be appreciated.

Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 14:51 Quote
In my opinion no, that sounds like an awful idea as it just won't suit the bike. Running full 27 is fine, lots of people have done that with a longer travel fork on front to compensate. I think the large tires would mute the fun playful nature of the bike though.

But on the other hand if it isn't going to cost you anything and you enjoy it that way then my opinion shouldn't matter.

Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 14:52 Quote
CamRivers wrote:
Jonnysnow wrote:

Will do... building it up over next few weeks

Any update?

Posted: Oct 23, 2023 at 14:56 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:
In my opinion no, that sounds like an awful idea as it just won't suit the bike. Running full 27 is fine, lots of people have done that with a longer travel fork on front to compensate. I think the large tires would mute the fun playful nature of the bike though.

But on the other hand if it isn't going to cost you anything and you enjoy it that way then my opinion shouldn't matter.

Thanks. Wont cost me anything to try…except for my time, which it sounds like I might be wasting

Posted: Oct 24, 2023 at 6:19 Quote
If it won't cost you anything, do it for the experiment!

Posted: Nov 2, 2023 at 17:19 Quote
I know there has been many questions about this already, but is getting a coil shock for the status worth it? Pros? Cons?

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2023 at 9:12 Quote
[PI=25846009]
Merrickohall wrote:
I know there has been many questions about this already, but is getting a coil shock for the status worth it? Pros? Cons?

I am running a 2023 Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil on my 2021 Status 160. It currently has a 500 Lb MRP spring with a MRP Spacer on each end. I emailed Rockshox and they said it was safe to run on that bike, as the 2023 model has a thicker one piece shaft and yoke built just for similar bikes. I am 6'2" and around 215 lbs.

So far I have had zero issues. I do have to run the hydraulic bottom out pretty far open, or it will bottom out, since the travel isn't extremely progressive, but the hydraulic bottom out does a great job of preventing bottom out and maintaining the bottomless feel. The coil is extremely plush and maintains traction well over bumps while absorbing big hits well.

The only slight downside is it doesn't "pop" quite as well off jumps as the original air shock, but increasing low speed compression a bit helped with that, and I prefer a plusher shock feel over a poppy rear end for downhill anyways.

I have a 170mm Marzocchi Z1 Bomber I converted to coil on the front running the Firm spring.. The bike is pretty heavy Size S4 around 37 lbs with all the coils, but it's my dedicated downhill bike, so I don't mind. I got the frame for $800 on clearance from specialized and only spent around $1200 total buying used parts and using parts I had on hand. My goal was to build a capable and inexpensive park bike, and I definitely met it.

I do feel the 27.5" rear wheel tends to slow me down a bit in heavy tech, since it doesn't roll over stuff as smoothly/easily as a 29, but it definitely keeps the bike feeling light and playful. The slacker head angle, even in high mode did take me a bit of getting used to. I had to move my weight more forward to initiate sharp turns than I was used to on my full 29 stumpjumper trail bike. For what I spent on the build, I am very satisfied though, and I only ride park a few times a month, so it's been a great first park bike.
photo

Posted: Nov 13, 2023 at 12:59 Quote
Sounds like a great bike especially for the money, nicely done.

Posted: Nov 29, 2023 at 9:24 Quote
Hello
Does anybody know what is the max seatpost insertion on a S2 140mm Status frame?
Thank you all

EDIT..I found my answer at page 21..thank you anyway Smile

Posted: Dec 24, 2023 at 7:37 Quote
Hi,guys status owners ,do you feeling chainstay is to short ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017020
Mobile Version of Website