Powered by Outside

Specialized Status

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2024 at 12:33 Quote
Just finished building up a single-speed coil ride. I sized down, and S3 feels super playful. 33.5 pounds is lighter than I was expecting.

photo
photo
photo

Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 2:49 Quote
photo
Decided to try out coil, bought the new RS coil while it was on sale. Still waiting for better weather to test it out properly, but so far I am liking it. Currently using a 500lbs spring and getting ~21% sag for my riding weight of 85kg/187lbs.

Thinking of trying a 450lbs spring to get closer to 30%. Which coil spring rates are you guys running for this weight?

Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 7:21 Quote
That looks sweet! You’ll have to give an update once you’re able to ride it a little more. Been thinking about doing this, but don’t want to ruin the fun feeling of the bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2024 at 18:59 Quote
KrampaKiller wrote:
Decided to try out coil, bought the new RS coil while it was on sale. Still waiting for better weather to test it out properly, but so far I am liking it. Currently using a 500lbs spring and getting ~21% sag for my riding weight of 85kg/187lbs.

Thinking of trying a 450lbs spring to get closer to 30%. Which coil spring rates are you guys running for this weight?

I'm 200 lbs and running a 550 on a Bomber CR. Pretty darn pleased with it.

I had my first park day on the Status 160 last weekend with a Bomber CR and Bomber Z1 Coil fork set at 170mm. Flip-chip in low mode, and it's a ridiculously fun bike to jump and drift around on. The rear end is really short and that's fun for wheel lifts and cutties, but you have to stay seriously over the front on flat turns or it'll understeer and wash on you. I'll probably try out the high flip chip setting and/or drop the fork to 160mm travel, for the next trip... see if that makes the front a little more forgiving on the not-so-steep and no-berm turns...

BTW, single speed is awesome for a park ride. 32 tooth oval + 14 tooth rear cog, easy to get around on and I never really wished for more gear going downhill.

Overall, two thumbs up. It's a bit much for an everyday trail bike, but it's awesome in the park and on steeper stuff. Fun N+1 bike setup for sure.

Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 9:54 Quote
photo

this is my 2014 status. lmk what u think. more pics on my profileWink

Posted: Apr 29, 2024 at 7:24 Quote
Anyone expect Specialized to refresh the Status this year?

Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 0:04 Quote
DylanJM77 wrote:
Anyone expect Specialized to refresh the Status this year?

Likely not until they sell through their current stock. Maybe next year.

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 14:32 Quote
I've been toying with the idea of building up a 2022 status frame as they are crazy on sale. I'm a little concerned with uphill pedaling but how is real world feel on a 140 travel S3/S4 frame? And have people built these with a taller fork with 27.5 up front to keep geometry in place or is this a fools errand with a bike designed to be mullet?

O+
Posted: May 2, 2024 at 5:48 Quote
I haven’t done the fork thing, but I can compare it to my Ripmo. Both of them configured with coil shocks… The Specialized has more traction under power, but less rear firmness. It is very lethargic compared to the Ripmo, it just accelerates slowly. I get more pedal strikes with the status on technical uphill bits. The status shines in loose stuff where the extra rear end grip is really nice, but overall it’s not a great climber.

But it is super fun on descents. If you’re just doing fire road climbs, this bike is awesome. It would not be my first choice on a pedally trail with technical climbs.

Posted: May 12, 2024 at 11:32 Quote
dmski wrote:
I've been toying with the idea of building up a 2022 status frame as they are crazy on sale. I'm a little concerned with uphill pedaling but how is real world feel on a 140 travel S3/S4 frame? And have people built these with a taller fork with 27.5 up front to keep geometry in place or is this a fools errand with a bike designed to be mullet?

Ive got a 140 Status setup with a 29” Pike set at 150mm but am running a 27.5 x 2.6 front wheel/tire. On paper this setup should almost preserve the geo exactly. I built it using spare parts since the frame was cheap and this was what I had on hand.

I use the bike as a general trailbike. It pedals “OK”. Its certainly not fast uphill, but I like the way it climbs otherwise. I think its ok in technical climbs as long as you dont need to get anywhere too fast.

I’ve taken it on 15-20 mile XC-ish trailrides (coaching NICA) and its done surprisingly well. Its a workout for sure.

Its a very playful bike. Lots of fun on descents, in berms etc. I’m 5’11” built like an orangutan and have an S4. Fits well in the trails, but for playing on jumps and the local flow trails, an s3 would be more fun.

Posted: May 16, 2024 at 8:12 Quote
Just ordered my 140 frame from Specialized then saw I could have saved the tax and most of the shipping by ordering from Jenson. Really had to resist the temptation to cancel and reorder. Hopefully the LBS that I am picking it up from will get a little kick back and I will put some good will into the the world.

Planning to remove the shock spacer and running a 170 27.5 fork. Should more or less preserve the geometry and result in a 170/147 full 27.5. I have gone the other way of taking a 160/130 27.5 bike to a 130/130 mullet but I like 27.5 better. The goal is to have compatible parts with my hardtail so I can swap wheels around.

Not sure when I will put the bike together or if I will go budget or take my time and get the rest of the parts when I see a good sale. First order of business is likely the fork. Could go cheap with a Domain RC for $260 or go for value on a 38 Performance Elite Grip 2 for $400. Seems like a no brainer to go for the 38 while it is a fire sale.

Posted: May 26, 2024 at 16:31 Quote
Apologies if this has been covered before, I was wondering if the Status 160 is rated to handle dual crown forks. Considering it comes with a 160 fork up front, I imagine a dual crown dropped to 180 would have the same axle-to-crown measurement and thus preserve the geometry pretty well. I know someone has done as it was posted in this forum but I can't seem to find anything definitive in the spesh user's manual for the bike on whether it's "approved" or not, ie. will it void the warranty.
If anyone has any info regarding this it would be greatly appreciated, cheers Salute

Posted: May 27, 2024 at 9:23 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
Apologies if this has been covered before, I was wondering if the Status 160 is rated to handle dual crown forks. Considering it comes with a 160 fork up front, I imagine a dual crown dropped to 180 would have the same axle-to-crown measurement and thus preserve the geometry pretty well. I know someone has done as it was posted in this forum but I can't seem to find anything definitive in the spesh user's manual for the bike on whether it's "approved" or not, ie. will it void the warranty.
If anyone has any info regarding this it would be greatly appreciated, cheers Salute

I'd say its probably fine with the 29er on the front and definitely fine with a 27.5, you could possibly go up to 190mm in the fork if you used a 27.5, but I dont know what the warranty would think.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2024 at 10:08 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:

See my post in this other thread August 17, 2021: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=222884&pagenum=17

Posted: May 27, 2024 at 10:33 Quote
switzb15 wrote:
jmartinbiking wrote:

See my post in this other thread August 17, 2021: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=222884&pagenum=17
Thank you, cleared it up for me - I guess no DC fork without unnecessary significant risk involved Cry

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.048381
Mobile Version of Website