New Status anyone have one

PB Forum :: Specialized
New Status anyone have one
O+
Posted: May 13, 2023 at 14:24 Quote
I haven’t and won’t weigh mine. Nothing good has ever come of putting a bike like this on a scale.

Posted: May 13, 2023 at 17:09 Quote
husstler wrote:
I haven’t and won’t weigh mine. Nothing good has ever come of putting a bike like this on a scale.

Hahahaha, true that! Knew it was heavy already but damn, she chonky

Posted: May 13, 2023 at 22:29 Quote
I have been up and down with this bike. It feels burlier, and actually more "on" than "off" compared to the Ripmo AF I had, however I think I still prefer an even bigger everyday bike as a bigger guy. I had a 2021 Commencal Meta AM last year, and that bike felt like a proper big bike. This Status is a bit less in my opinion. Frame is not as beefy, and maybe the Zeb on the Commencal helped too.

I was hitting some 10-14 foot jumps yesterday on the Status and I get this slight "twitch" mid-air that Enduro-MTB the publisher spoke about in their review (just referencing in my mind to justify I'm not the only one thinking this, I want to like the bike). I have been feeling this a lot lately as I've been jumping it a lot.

I need a beefier bike to feel confident to send 25 feet. Some other modern enduro bikes feel like DH bikes from 5 years ago, yet that pedal well. The Status does not, in my experience. It's still a great bike for the right person though, I want to make that clear. I'm just a heavy dude that needs a beefier frame to feel confident sending, that's literally the only reason.

Idk if this is because I sized up to the S5, and this bike is now neither super maneuverable for me nor super stable like a proper enduro race bike.

Honestly, I think I've had enough. I am not loving it like I have a lot of other bikes. I listed mine for sale. Great bike, but not as great as some other bikes I've tried. I went with this bike because I was broke, and it does seem like a price point bike in my opinion. A great one at that though...but I just got a job soo, sayonara.

I finally put the bike in the low position, I had an issue with my first clevis that didn't allow the flip chip to go into low position for reasons. Will go into detail if you want, just ask. Got a new clevis through warranty, which was awesome and easy, and it does feel better in a lot of ways in the low position, but it also feels more twitchy too somehow. IDK, I need to move along.

I think I'm also just so picky because there are some crazy good bikes now. This bike 5-7 years ago might have blown me away.

Posted: May 13, 2023 at 23:21 Quote
Aside from the older-chassis 36 which isn't the stiffest fork around, I expect it's the short rear end that you're feeling let down by rather than the "beefiness" of the frame. It's not a well balanced frame in the S5 size and if you sized up to it then I expect that'd make it worse.

If you can borrow a 38mm stanchioned fork then it could be worth a try, otherwise you probably just need longer chainstays to be able to get a bit more weight through your feet.

Posted: May 14, 2023 at 0:33 Quote
I love my Status 140 as a slope/jump bike but I'm considering putting regular gears on it and running it as a slightly heavier duty trailbike as an alternative to my Stumpy Carbon. Though if I did that I would love to get a coil out back to match the Smashpot up front.
New XX1 AXS DH chimera derailleur. Made out of an XX1 body and GX DH medium cage. The cassette is a 3T Bailout 9-32 11-speed made by E13 for 3T. The chain is a regular XX1 Eagle. Disclaimer SRAM probably doesn t want you to do this. Also it voids your warranty so don t complain to me or SRAM if this damages your derailleur cassette chain or bike.

Posted: May 14, 2023 at 1:13 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I have been up and down with this bike. It feels burlier, and actually more "on" than "off" compared to the Ripmo AF I had, however I think I still prefer an even bigger everyday bike as a bigger guy. I had a 2021 Commencal Meta AM last year, and that bike felt like a proper big bike. This Status is a bit less in my opinion. Frame is not as beefy, and maybe the Zeb on the Commencal helped too.

I was hitting some 10-14 foot jumps yesterday on the Status and I get this slight "twitch" mid-air that Enduro-MTB the publisher spoke about in their review (just referencing in my mind to justify I'm not the only one thinking this, I want to like the bike). I have been feeling this a lot lately as I've been jumping it a lot.

I need a beefier bike to feel confident to send 25 feet. Some other modern enduro bikes feel like DH bikes from 5 years ago, yet that pedal well. The Status does not, in my experience. It's still a great bike for the right person though, I want to make that clear. I'm just a heavy dude that needs a beefier frame to feel confident sending, that's literally the only reason.

Idk if this is because I sized up to the S5, and this bike is now neither super maneuverable for me nor super stable like a proper enduro race bike.

Honestly, I think I've had enough. I am not loving it like I have a lot of other bikes. I listed mine for sale. Great bike, but not as great as some other bikes I've tried. I went with this bike because I was broke, and it does seem like a price point bike in my opinion. A great one at that though...but I just got a job soo, sayonara.

I finally put the bike in the low position, I had an issue with my first clevis that didn't allow the flip chip to go into low position for reasons. Will go into detail if you want, just ask. Got a new clevis through warranty, which was awesome and easy, and it does feel better in a lot of ways in the low position, but it also feels more twitchy too somehow. IDK, I need to move along.

I think I'm also just so picky because there are some crazy good bikes now. This bike 5-7 years ago might have blown me away.

Interesting take, fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. How big are you if you don't mind me asking?
I'm not small myself 95kg, 187cm on an S4 though and have never ridden S5 status.

I have owned a 2021 meta a bit as well and you're right, it definitely feels bigger than the status, I wasn't a fan personally and sold it pretty quick.
I have my status setup a bit different with a 38 and dhx2 so likely different feeling than yours. Happily hitting large bike park style jumps around 40ft with no issues. I prefer the bike in the high setting though the low is too low and slacked out with a 170 fork. Might be worth trying a different setup before you sell?

Posted: May 14, 2023 at 7:02 Quote
I’ve had some bikes with even shorter 420mm chainstays, but never one with this 515mm reach too. I’m 188cm and 100kg. I rode the S4 and it felt a bit cramped, and the S5 does feel a little big. I’m definitely in between sizes, and looking back I should have went S4.

Been playing around wit set up. Last I raised the stack by moving the stem above all the spacers, which reduced reach too. Low BB, 63.2 head angle, and high bars has this feeling like a mini dh bike. I like it like this, but I still don’t feel super confident jumping it.

I will say it’s pretty darn good in chunk. Better than I expected. Obviously not like a Spesh Enduro or Meta AM (race bikes) but not far off.

I believe the 2021 Meta AM had 430mm chainstays, which for a 29er is fairly short, and then 495mm reach. Bike felt much more balanced to me and I wouldn’t even think when hitting bigger drops and jumps. Just felt natural. The Meta was my favorite bike I’ve had in a while, by a longshot. If my Status sells, I’ll probably go that direction.

I actually don’t mind the 36 fork. I prefer a Zeb (haven’t ridden a fox 38 ), but never once did think “ugh I wish my fork was stiffer”

This is from Enduro-MTB
“ The Status is the exact opposite of bikes like the Norco Shore and Canyon Torque:ON, playing out its strengths on flowing trail sections and small jumps.”

“Even over very big jumps, the Status is easy to pull into the air and encourages you to commit to stylish tricks. However, like the YT Capra, it also feels a little nervous mid-air and inspires limited confidence. During botched landings and hard hits, the Status suffers more than its bulkier opponents, the Propain Spindrift, Nukeproof Giga or Norco Shore. On big jumps, experienced riders with the right set of skills and the courage to do so will get the Status sideways without any issue“

^^^ this is exactly how I feel. It’s almost like the bike feels top heavy, and it want’s to lean mid air on its own. I feel like I’m going to eat it hard on almost every jump, and I haven’t felt that on a bike in a while. I cannot have that.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 21:07 Quote
If I put a 230x60 shock and a 160 fork on my GF's status 140, will that convert it to a status 160? I heard a rumor the only different was a spacer in the shock on the 140 and a shorter fork, and that the frame was the same.

Posted: May 17, 2023 at 0:33 Quote
Frames are different. You need a a 160 yoke and front triangle as well as the fork and shock. They otherwise share the same rear end, link, bearings and other hardware.

Posted: May 18, 2023 at 1:56 Quote
davehuffstetler wrote:
If I put a 230x60 shock and a 160 fork on my GF's status 140, will that convert it to a status 160? I heard a rumor the only different was a spacer in the shock on the 140 and a shorter fork, and that the frame was the same.

Talk to your local shop, they may be able to get you a 160 yoke that you can put on the 140. Not sure if front triangles are the same or not, would be suprised if they're different though

Posted: May 18, 2023 at 4:21 Quote
The front triangles are different.

Posted: May 18, 2023 at 6:12 Quote
photo

photo

Finally did my semi-custom build.
Magura MT7 brakes, matching 203 rotors, galfer brake pads. The drivetrain is mostly SLX 12s (165mm cranks as recommended here), except the XT shifter and deore cassette. Renthal cockpit, ergon seat (might return the stock one, seems comfy), specialized boomslang pedals. Put one some clear frame protection in the active areas and some thicker on the downtube. Still need to finish the tubeless setup and some minor contact point tweaks.

I didnt have the chance to ride it on my local tracks, but I am generally impressed at its climbing abilities even with the shock open and its an absolute blast to send stairs with it.

Posted: May 18, 2023 at 10:04 Quote
while you're finishing the tubeless setup, change the tires for some maxxis, schwalbe, or anything else really. The Buthers are horrible

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027134
Mobile Version of Website