Powered by Outside

Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 1, 2024 at 1:04 Quote
Alloypenguin wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Alloypenguin wrote:
Is this a safe compromise? Never used this many spacers previously....

https://imgur.com/a/SI35rrY

TIA!

There are so many things wrong with that setup. I might feasibly ride that bike to the shop. Once. But I certainly wouldnt ride it down an extended steep hill.

A) Disc rotor isnt going to be fully in the pads. If the pads wear enough they will meet and you will fairly suddenly lose all braking power

B) It's going to howl like a banshee, probably vibrate itself loose, and get really hot on long descents

C) your caliper mount bolts are bent now.

Yeah, its really only temp until the new brakes and mounts come. Bolts are still true.

No, the angled mount means that if those bolts are tight, the heads are being bent. I've seen (far too many) calipers set up with angled mounts and no cps washers, and the bolts are always bent.

I don't quite see why you have gone for this setup. In the picture you have posted, there is tons of spacer between the top of the rotor and the inside of the caliper. At least at the front, I can't see the back. It looks to me like you could fit the cps washers properly (both cup and cone ON TOP of the caliper below the head of the bolt) without losing all that clearance. You may need to add a could more flat washers to the two pairs you already have under the caliper spacer. This would be a much better setup, and one I'd be perfectly happy to run indefinitely.

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 7:00 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Alloypenguin wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

There are so many things wrong with that setup. I might feasibly ride that bike to the shop. Once. But I certainly wouldnt ride it down an extended steep hill.

A) Disc rotor isnt going to be fully in the pads. If the pads wear enough they will meet and you will fairly suddenly lose all braking power

B) It's going to howl like a banshee, probably vibrate itself loose, and get really hot on long descents

C) your caliper mount bolts are bent now.

Yeah, its really only temp until the new brakes and mounts come. Bolts are still true.

No, the angled mount means that if those bolts are tight, the heads are being bent. I've seen (far too many) calipers set up with angled mounts and no cps washers, and the bolts are always bent.

I don't quite see why you have gone for this setup. In the picture you have posted, there is tons of spacer between the top of the rotor and the inside of the caliper. At least at the front, I can't see the back. It looks to me like you could fit the cps washers properly (both cup and cone ON TOP of the caliper below the head of the bolt) without losing all that clearance. You may need to add a could more flat washers to the two pairs you already have under the caliper spacer. This would be a much better setup, and one I'd be perfectly happy to run indefinitely.

Thanks mate! Really appreciate your time and thoughts. I'll have another go at getting this right. Really just messing about until the new brake and rotor set comes Smile

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 7:05 Quote
More problems Frown Trying to use as many parts from an old but recent build and have now got this issue:

https://imgur.com/a/C6VkNQl

This is a RD-M8000 11spd derailleur that I am trying to mount on a hardtail frame I just purchased (Whyte 905 V3 2021). I know mech hangers are frame specific but are they brand (ie Shimano or SRAM) specific?? I cannot get this mounted with the current hanger. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers!

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 7:51 Quote
Hangars are not derailleur specific.

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but is your derailleur missing the little mounting link?

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 8:07 Quote
you're missing the shadow link.

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam/global/cg1SHICCycling/final/ev/ev/EV-RD-M8000-3859D.pdf

items #1 & 2

Alloypenguin wrote:
More problems Frown Trying to use as many parts from an old but recent build and have now got this issue:

This is a RD-M8000 11spd derailleur that I am trying to mount on a hardtail frame I just purchased (Whyte 905 V3 2021). I know mech hangers are frame specific but are they brand (ie Shimano or SRAM) specific?? I cannot get this mounted with the current hanger. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers!

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 10:39 Quote
Yeah, to use a Shadow RD without the link requires a Shimano direct-mount type hanger, and while they exist for several frames, it looks like nobody's done one for the 905 (at least according to my cursory search).

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 17:40 Quote
Is there anything unsafe about using these bolts ( i know they are atrocious but im just concerned w safety right now).

Thanks

Ugly bolts

Mod
Posted: May 1, 2024 at 18:08 Quote
id run it, based on the looks of that bike you arent racing dh or doing trials moves. I think it would take a lot of force to shear those bolts

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 18:53 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
Is there anything unsafe about using these bolts ( i know they are atrocious but im just concerned w safety right now).

Thanks

Ugly bolts
I wouldn't say those bolts are unsafe but a real pain in the butt when you want to center your caliper.

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 22:30 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Hangars are not derailleur specific.

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but is your derailleur missing the little mounting link?

It was Smile Thanks mate. Was still on the old frame.

Posted: May 1, 2024 at 22:31 Quote
aegiz wrote:
you're missing the shadow link.

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam/global/cg1SHICCycling/final/ev/ev/EV-RD-M8000-3859D.pdf

items #1 & 2

Alloypenguin wrote:

Got it, thanks mate.
Cheers!

Posted: May 2, 2024 at 7:09 Quote
I have one bike in the fleet with a shimano brake on it, and it desperately needs to be bled.

What’s the best cheap bleed kit that’s not gonna leak or fall apart? I see a bunch of cheap chinese ones on Amazon. Are any of them any good?

Bleedkit.com is also fairly cheap, but I generally prefer the cup on the lever over the syringe.

I’m not trying to cheap out but I’m also not gonna spend $50+ to bleed one brake when the rest of the fleet are SRAM and Hope brakes.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2024 at 7:30 Quote
Nobble wrote:
I have one bike in the fleet with a shimano brake on it, and it desperately needs to be bled.

What’s the best cheap bleed kit that’s not gonna leak or fall apart? I see a bunch of cheap chinese ones on Amazon. Are any of them any good?

Bleedkit.com is also fairly cheap, but I generally prefer the cup on the lever over the syringe.

I’m not trying to cheap out but I’m also not gonna spend $50+ to bleed one brake when the rest of the fleet are SRAM and Hope brakes.

Shimano is the cheapest system out there - you don't even really need a bleed kit (syringes) - just get the $5 cup.

Posted: May 2, 2024 at 8:16 Quote
This brake hasn’t been bled in at least 7 years so I want to flush it.

Flushing without the syringe on the bottom is pretty hard.

Posted: May 2, 2024 at 8:45 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:

Thanks

Ugly bolts

Nothing wrong with using a bolt with a different tool interface, per se. But what the photo doesn't show is, is the thread correct? Needs to be M6 x 1. I'm assuming it was and they threaded in smoothly.

Also can't tell how long they are--need to have the correct amount of engagement. I don't know what that length is offhand, but I believe it's something like 8 or 10 mm of threads that are actually threaded into the adapter

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027234
Mobile Version of Website