“Pedaling culture” is dumb

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
“Pedaling culture” is dumb
Posted: Jun 27, 2023 at 11:12 Quote
true true could just take the chain off; but, i could have had a welding project.

E-bike pedaling culture does effect us it's kinda juxtaposition when your battling the climb and then you have 10+ e-bikers pass up a climb telling you to get out of their way because they want to pass on single track trail it has an affect.

is there any etiquette for e-bike vs 100% human powered geared vs SS. The funny thing is SS your usually in the middle your faster then most geared, but just can't sustain the speed of an e-bike.

i have definitely been in few situations where I'm single speeding and other riders notice and give the right away because they realize what's happening I'm keeping moment and speed. But increasingly riders on e-bikes have not seen this same recognition. Usually e-bikers are of the mentality that they get more laps, more fun, and greater fitness then you and that's better so don't burden me.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2023 at 6:48 Quote
I ignore and change the subject if I’m with adults still immature enough to want to kill somebody else’s joy out of their own insecurities. They either get the hint and knock it off or we end up going our separate ways. I’d rather share the stoke it’s way better.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2023 at 6:51 Quote
csvetich wrote:

is there any etiquette for e-bike vs 100% human powered geared vs SS. The funny thing is SS your usually in the middle your faster then most geared, but just can't sustain the speed of an e-bike.

Sure there is etiquette. The etiquette is the same either way. But here’s a post from IMBA

https://www.imba.com/blog/emtb-etiquette

FL
Posted: Jul 7, 2023 at 7:45 Quote
MT36 wrote:
mockit wrote:
MT36 wrote:

At the end of the day this world just needs as many people getting outside and having fun as possible.

This is part of the issue for me personally… more people is not a good thing. Obviously it depends on where, but the reason why I have some issues with shuttling remote areas or e-bikes in remote areas is the increased access and associated problems. I have no qualms with sharing trails but being able to ride up is a gatekeeper and prevents the masses from tearing trails up deeper into the wilderness. At bike parks or heavily utilized and maintained areas who gives AF. I see lots of e-bikes around the Tahoe rim trail area though and that is a no go for me. If you can’t climb in the back country without a motor then maybe you shouldn’t be there.

I can appreciate that. I live in the stix so on backcountry trails here it is a novelty when I see other riders on the trails. I know Tahoe is a different situation for sure.

At the same time, I work in a high risk healthcare specialty, and the overwhelming majority of pain and suffering I see daily is due to crappy lifestyle factors cemented over the course of years and decades. If more in our country were out enjoying nature and exercising, we would live in a much healthier culture, mentally and physically.

I don’t think it is fair for experienced or skilled mountain bikers to gatekeep and say who can and should be out riding. This planet needs people connecting with nature and themselves.

The thing about e-biking is that as an activity it is exactly not about exercising, fitness and a healthy lifestyle.

E-biking is about instant gratification, about not having to work for your reward and about greater excitement in a shorter amount of time without the effort. Consumerism on two wheels - that’s what it really is.

As such e-biking is more or less just another aspect of the culture that causes those health complications you mentioned. And it’s therefore more than fair to have an attitude towards e-bikers.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2023 at 11:16 Quote
Muscovir wrote:
MT36 wrote:
mockit wrote:

This is part of the issue for me personally… more people is not a good thing. Obviously it depends on where, but the reason why I have some issues with shuttling remote areas or e-bikes in remote areas is the increased access and associated problems. I have no qualms with sharing trails but being able to ride up is a gatekeeper and prevents the masses from tearing trails up deeper into the wilderness. At bike parks or heavily utilized and maintained areas who gives AF. I see lots of e-bikes around the Tahoe rim trail area though and that is a no go for me. If you can’t climb in the back country without a motor then maybe you shouldn’t be there.

I can appreciate that. I live in the stix so on backcountry trails here it is a novelty when I see other riders on the trails. I know Tahoe is a different situation for sure.

At the same time, I work in a high risk healthcare specialty, and the overwhelming majority of pain and suffering I see daily is due to crappy lifestyle factors cemented over the course of years and decades. If more in our country were out enjoying nature and exercising, we would live in a much healthier culture, mentally and physically.

I don’t think it is fair for experienced or skilled mountain bikers to gatekeep and say who can and should be out riding. This planet needs people connecting with nature and themselves.

The thing about e-biking is that as an activity it is exactly not about exercising, fitness and a healthy lifestyle.

E-biking is about instant gratification, about not having to work for your reward and about greater excitement in a shorter amount of time without the effort. Consumerism on two wheels - that’s what it really is.

As such e-biking is more or less just another aspect of the culture that causes those health complications you mentioned. And it’s therefore more than fair to have an attitude towards e-bikers.

I think that's a blanket statement that's not true everywhere all the time. Here where I live we have fire road climbs that go up 3,000 feet in just a few miles. And we have a mix of analog riders along with e-bike riders that use pedal-assist to get up those climbs. Some of them can barely do it even with an e-bike but others use the e-bike so they can fit in the lap after work before the sun goes down. They go up the fire road and they ride down the trail and they don't get in anybody's way and they're courteous. Many of these folks own all manner of other bikes too and they're fit and in good condition and they're not being passive consumers about it.

I think it's healthy to maintain an open mind and be positive towards others, even e-bike riders. As an adult, I can make up my mind pretty quick about what kind of rider a person is but there's no need to judge a book by its cover in my opinion.

Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 2:57 Quote
Where I ride we have a continuous increase of ebikers, I’d say 80-20% in favor of ebikes. Since covid we also have a huge number of trail runners and ocasional hikers. Some of them do need one so they can do a 30km morning ride, but the majority are young healthy dudes.
Talking to them personally, i keep earing the word fun and you’re able to do x many runs down the trails! Many of them are newbies and super noisy, super excited talking very loud about a feature or something they’ve done. The issue that bothers me the most is the increased litter on the ground! Some of these new emtbikers don’t have a “environment etiquette”.

At 47, i don’t ride my bike to do x runs. I love the mountain, the silence, even the climb I face it as a personal challenge, then stopping to eat and drink while enjoying the view. Going down the trail, drifting a corner, to conquer a drop, cleaning a jump gap, smiling after doing it, riding on a rainny day with mud on my face.

A couple of months ago I was on this new jump some guys built: it’s so well made that I was doing it and repeating for like 20 minutes. For now personally, dumb or not, I don’t need an ebike to have my kind of fun.
Is pedalling culture dumb? For some it’s sport, hobby, a way of life or whatever. As long as I’ll have fun doing it, I’m in.

Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 4:24 Quote
The whole reason I'm on a bike is to pedal

Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 9:06 Quote
Muscovir wrote:
MT36 wrote:
mockit wrote:

You have zero clue about what you are talking about. I am not an ebiker, but people who ride ebikes also get exercise, they just get to the top quicker and do more laps.

Posted: Jul 11, 2023 at 21:55 Quote
I would rather pedal, plain and simple and if it's not for others that's fine as well.

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 9:34 Quote
I love it when I pedal my ass off to get to the top of the mountain on my acoustic enduro bike to only get stuck behind some slow ass dude going down mountain in a E-bike

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 10:13 Quote
Steveurchin wrote:
I love it when I pedal my ass off to get to the top of the mountain on my acoustic enduro bike to only get stuck behind some slow ass dude going down mountain in a E-bike

seriously doubt you even need an enduro bike, get an xc bike and maybe you'll not be so bitter about being passed uphill. Beer

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 11:32 Quote
jahosofat wrote:
Steveurchin wrote:

seriously doubt you even need an enduro bike, get an xc bike and maybe you'll not be so bitter about being passed uphill. Beer

I’m not pissed about getting passed up hill lol
I’m pissed about the E-biker that is in the way going down!

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 11:36 Quote
jahosofat wrote:
Steveurchin wrote:

I’m definitely not hitting the jumps at San Clemente on an XC bike hahaha

Posted: Jul 17, 2023 at 12:27 Quote
Steveurchin wrote:
jahosofat wrote:
Steveurchin wrote:

I’m definitely not hitting the jumps at San Clemente on an XC bike hahaha

weenie... Geek

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017198
Mobile Version of Website