Powered by Outside

Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)

PB Forum :: Downhill
Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
Oo sorry matey, must have skipped over what you rode. Well they are all great bikes and i am sure you will be happy with whatever you get!
Enjoy!tup

Jp

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Quick question. If you're so into finding a plow bike, how do you expect it to be able to jump/huck?

Anyone?

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
all it has to be is unique man

FL
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
prudent wrote:
You don't mention which kind of terrain you ride and weather you are going to race or not. But if it was up to me i would buy the socom, however this is only a worth while investment if you are going to look after it like its your child and if you have money to fix it (remember that it is a FRO frame). If you are riding bigger longer tracks (world cup tracks) or a mix of free-ride i would recommend the shocker as it has more travel and is one burly frame. I wouldn't buy a canfield as they are a pretty small company and therefore due to the current economics might have financial difficulty which can in turn affect warranty. Other bikes i would recommend is the Glory (cheap, easy to run and will survive being run over by a tank, downside being it weighs a lot), or perhaps a Nox if you are looking for something a little different. (German=good quality, have interesting frame designs with good suspension and look like sex in metal).

Hope this might have helped you out a little,

Jp

i thought i did mention what riding i would be doing in my first post. steep, rocky, loose, huck filled, fast runs. so FRX/DH.
although canfield is a small company its only 20 min from my house so i don't think warranty issues would be a problem, however buying used like i do it usually voids the warranty anyway.
thanks for the usefull imput. im seriously looking into the shocker. i have my slopestyle for more smooth runs so a straight up plow bike seems to be a logical buy.
If you want an DH machine get the Giant Glory DH around 40 pounds super stable at high and low speeds and can run over anything. It has 8.8 inches of maestro suspension is full active on braking forces and any other force a DH bike goes through. Where the shock is positioned the center of gravity is really low so it rails berms and flat turns. Here is the wedsite for more info on maestro suspension if you are interested. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-CA/technology/maestro/32/

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
Quick question. If you're so into finding a plow bike, how do you expect it to be able to jump/huck?

Anyone?

i did answer that as well up higher. now i have thought about it more though.

Every bike at the redbull rampage was a full on dh bike. almost all had DC forks. i think redbull is the definition of a huck bike don't you. now i didn't say DJ bike. that wouldn't work. alot of the FR trails around here are steep, loose trails that have the occasional double but they are the ones that throw you long. there is a road gap on the trail that having 8 front and rear would be nice (not necessary).

so i want this bike to be able to handle 15 foot drops to tranny and the 20ft double gap (again long not one that kicks).

make sense?

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:08 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
make sense?

Yeah, does to me.
Thanks, just trying to get you thinking about it.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:10 Quote
Have you checked out Rotec? Bit hefty, and super duper smooth. Has a pretty much vertical axle path as well, I see them on here occasionally, but not often.

http://www.roteccycles.com

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
make sense?

Yeah, does to me.
Thanks, just trying to get you thinking about it.

ah, got ya.

i must have made it sound like i knew nothing about bikes when i posted. its true i don't know a whole lot about DH specific bikes cause i have never owned them.

i did alot of research into the bikes i presented. just getting some ideas on them cause i can't ride them.

im well aware that a DH bike won't DJ good or pedal good. i just want one that is good within the DH bike class.
again, i have an intense slopestyle for all of my pedalling, jumping, FR needs.

this is supposed to be a totally different bike. made to do the things that the SS wouldn't be as good at. something where i don't have to pick my lines if i don't want to. something i can case a jump with and not be too worried. something that will soak up the crappy tranny off a 15 foot drop.

thanks for all of the comments though. it has definately made me think about other options

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 6:37 Quote
well, my brother decided he can't afford his socom frame after all and is going to sell it to me for crazy cheap.
i was really leaning towards a cove shocker but the guy selling it here on pinkbike was being pretty lame. not willing to work with me on anything.

ill probably pick up the socom and if i don't like it im sure i could turn a profit next year if i sell it.
i really wish i could have tried the shocker, giant, and the jedi. both look amazing. i guess me getting the socom is probably the smarter thing since i have ridden one a few times and loved it. also it should feel close to my SS suspension wise. just more squish.
plus it feels alot like the SS and it will be the same maintenance so i can do them at the same time.

i should also mention when i decided this i called my friend who has been riding one all season and he said don't worry about the strength. this guy has hit 20 foot drops and 35 foot gaps. i have seen it. so when i asked him if he thought they were weak he just laughed. his friend has been beating them on the northshore for the last 2 years.

thanks for all the advise. ill be sure to post some pics up when i get it done next spring.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 8:53 Quote
Congrats on the Socom, you are gonna love it.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:02 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
So i come from a AM/FR background and am going to build up a DH bike. currently i ride an intense Slopestyle and love it. so naturally i was going to get a socom but am having second thoughts. maybe you guys can help.
This bike will be my shuttle, resort, plow/hack, big huck bike. i want to beat the crap out of this thing riding it hard. it would require the occasional fire road uphill too. i might race it once or twice for fun but mainly ride really nasty, fast, tech, steep trails with it so a mid 14" bb might be best.

my thoughts

intense socom
positive - light, full seattube, vp suspension, US made, sexy
negative - weaker, bearings are expensive and wear out, hard to find, flexy

cove shocker
positive - burly, stiff, 8.75" rear link suspension, canadian made, easier to find used
negative- heavy, INTERUPTED SEATTUBE !!!! Madder , torn between large and medium.

canfield jedi
positive - awesome suspension, light, short chainstays, cool company
negitive - i will never find one used....ever

iron horse sunday
positive - light, strong, easy to find, look sexy
negative - no longer in production, too low of BB, people will call me a sam hill wannabe Confused

ok let me know what you guys think, i figured asking here on pinkbike would give me a better idea since you guys ride coves more than us here in the states.

im open for other suggestions but please no single pivots and no specialized or trek's. i want something unique.
The low BB is what makes the sunday such a gnar bike! I don't know what your talking about! The sunday would be a great choice but I would probly go with the shocker because ironhorse is pretty much done now.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:12 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
So i come from a AM/FR background and am going to build up a DH bike. currently i ride an intense Slopestyle and love it. so naturally i was going to get a socom but am having second thoughts. maybe you guys can help.
This bike will be my shuttle, resort, plow/hack, big huck bike. i want to beat the crap out of this thing riding it hard. it would require the occasional fire road uphill too. i might race it once or twice for fun but mainly ride really nasty, fast, tech, steep trails with it so a mid 14" bb might be best.

my thoughts

intense socom
positive - light, full seattube, vp suspension, US made, sexy
negative - weaker, bearings are expensive and wear out, hard to find, flexy

cove shocker
positive - burly, stiff, 8.75" rear link suspension, canadian made, easier to find used
negative- heavy, INTERUPTED SEATTUBE !!!! Madder , torn between large and medium.

canfield jedi
positive - awesome suspension, light, short chainstays, cool company
negitive - i will never find one used....ever

iron horse sunday
positive - light, strong, easy to find, look sexy
negative - no longer in production, too low of BB, people will call me a sam hill wannabe Confused

ok let me know what you guys think, i figured asking here on pinkbike would give me a better idea since you guys ride coves more than us here in the states.

im open for other suggestions but please no single pivots and no specialized or trek's. i want something unique.
The low BB is what makes the sunday such a gnar bike! I don't know what your talking about! The sunday would be a great choice but I would probly go with the shocker because ironhorse is pretty much done now.
For the Record IH is not done because they cannot use DW link before, they can still make wicked bikes.

And you never know but Cove might also be dead in time to come considering Gabe Fox is gone...

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
I don't know what ironhorse is going to do next. They lost sam hill, they're losing there DW-link design which to me made them pretty famous. Im assuming in the years to come specialized is going to get real popular in racing.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:22 Quote
its the low BB that turned me away from it. My current bike is 13.5" so i wanted my dh to be mid 14 for all the rocky sections and log overs around here. im constantly hitting my bash gaurd on my SS.

im picking the frame up today. ill post a pic of it. it won't be built up for a while though. got to piece it together.

Posted: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:23 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
ill probably pick up the socom

You stated that you were looking for a bike that you wouldn't have to worry about line choice and could just plow whatever, and the Socom doesn't quite fit into that. If you talked to Intense, they would ask if you like to pick lines or plow lines, and if you were more a fan of plowing lines they told you to go for the M3 or now the M6. If you favor line choice, the Socom works better. Apparently it was easier to get thrashed about on the Socom for some reason. I'm sure it'll be fine for all intended purposes, but I wouldn't go expecting it to plow the rough rocks as well as some other bikes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012853
Mobile Version of Website