Powered by Outside

40 and over mountain bikers.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
40 and over mountain bikers.
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 0:46 Quote
That is really good article. Totally in alignment with my own soap-box rants.

Also, I may have seen you on Captain Ahab a few weeks ago. If so, you were not hanging around!

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
44 today! My dad always says age is just a number. I plan on putting an exclamation point at the end that saying with a lot of riding this year!! Anyone else feel like they've only gotten stronger on the bike with age?

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
Happy Birthday mws182. There is a point where getting stronger starts to go the other way. Keep up the good attitude and keep it at bay as long as possible.

At 57 and still pushing it as hard as possible but I don't know if am actually getting stronger.

The only thing that bugs me is riders younger than me saying "I hope I am still doing this at YOUR age" or "My dad can't do that" ugh.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
BlurredVision wrote:
Happy Birthday mws182. There is a point where getting stronger starts to go the other way. Keep up the good attitude and keep it at bay as long as possible.

At 57 and still pushing it as hard as possible but I don't know if am actually getting stronger.

The only thing that bugs me is riders younger than me saying "I hope I am still doing this at YOUR age" or "My dad can't do that" ugh.

Thanks Blurred!! I ride with several people in their early 30s and get that first line all the time :/ I'll keep pedaling!

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 8:50 Quote
Hello to all over 40 Mountain Bike Riders.

You should all check out this episode of Downtime Podcast..... How to shred until you are 70.

http://www.downtimepodcast.com/shred-till-70/

Loads of great info in there and the reaction to it has been huge! Have a listen and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Ben

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 18:07 Quote
mws182 wrote:
44 today! My dad always says age is just a number. I plan on putting an exclamation point at the end that saying with a lot of riding this year!! Anyone else feel like they've only gotten stronger on the bike with age?

Turned 41 Jan.10th. Only picked up a bike at 35, and feel in love. Since then, every year is an improvement in fitness and skill. A few set backs though (injuries). Broke my tibia / fibula a year and half ago. That one made me question things a little bit. Wife and kids weren't too happy. But they are over it and you know....YOLO.

Plan on lots of riding this year.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 18:28 Quote
BlurredVision wrote:

Dude, take it as a compliment because I'm sure it is meant as one.
I'm 42 and for the last 5-6 years I've been periodically riding with a crazy old guy who must be about 66 by now. He is a madman on the bike, he is insanely fast and fearless, enters all the local Downhill events, crashes and busts himself up but keeps on riding.

I don't know if I've ever said "I hope I am still doing this at your age" to him but I think it all the time, I most definitely want to be like him when I am his age, he INSPIRES me to keep riding and to stay fit!
I should probably thank him next time I see him.

So take it as a compliment, it may be subconscious but older riders are inspiring younger riders and they are having a positive impact on peoples lives.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
[Quote="MustRideAllTheTrails"]
BlurredVision wrote:

So take it as a compliment, it may be subconscious but older riders are inspiring younger riders and they are having a positive impact on peoples lives.
Truth. Anyone older than me that shreds inspires me to keep going and pushing.

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
I am 52, currently on a hospital bed with a broken shoulder blade, a couple broken ribs & a collapsed lung.

(I clipped the bars on a tree and was thrown shoulder first against another tree on the other side of the trail.)

It's not the first big one. Riding two wheels since 1971.

I have focused recovery 7th July to be back the bike (any bike). I used to think I only a few summer's left, now I am thinking at least another 15, age is a number, death is enivitable, life is imperminent, once accepted, why not?

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 12:00 Quote
Healing vibes SENT!

I'm 47, and recently ran into someone 20 years older than me. Yes, 67. He was on an ebike and found his love again after giving up on MTBing over a decade ago. Bad knees made him quit. He recently discovered ebikes, and now he's back in the game.

There's plenty of time left. Salute

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
I'm almost 65 and ride 30 to 40 miles a week, mostly XC. I can blow out or at least keep up with younger people climbing but my downhills are slow. I think it's because I am cautious. I had a hip replacement in 2015 and have broken ribs and smashed my face on several occasion. I just don't want to be injured anymore. I avoid a lot of real technical sections for the same reason. Hopefully I will be riding at 80. I encourage older folks to stay active. Age is way less of a factor than we think. You don't have to be extreme like me, just move. The worst thing anyone at any age can do is to become fat and sedentary.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
I’m 47 on the lift up now as I type.

Still downhilling!

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 5:01 Quote
47 going on 48. keeping up with my 14 yo. We're both two years into MTB riding, second season in bike parks.
He doesn't like to pedal up as much as I do, so we do bike parks a bunch. We're now doing local DH and Enduro races too.
https://youtu.be/Szdy_CyOV38

though, just sprained my ankle a bit from too much bending up on an easy, but casual landing on the tabletop right before the long step on step off.

the other week my son asked what I'd be doing at 60. I said I figured much the same. Just maybe getting a bit more travel for the bike parks. I'm riding 150/140 Meta TR.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009733
Mobile Version of Website