Powered by Outside

New Status anyone have one

PB Forum :: Specialized
New Status anyone have one
O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 17:35 Quote
Also have not experienced sketchy in the air because of the bike. That’s all me.

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 20:15 Quote
markrulesok wrote:
has anyone ridden a commencal clash (2020 ideally) and how does it compare to the status?

I love my clash but am wondering if something with short chainstays might suit my style/local trails more.

Would probably run it non-mullet with a longer fork.

Status looks fun and the price is crazy in the sale, but hearing people say it feels sketchy in the air doesn't sound great

It is one of the best jump bikes I ever ridden, much easier to pop, and move in the air. Long TT allow u to do bar tricks much easier.

Posted: Oct 17, 2023 at 2:05 Quote
markrulesok wrote:
Status looks fun and the price is crazy in the sale, but hearing people say it feels sketchy in the air doesn't sound great

There was one very vocal guy that reckoned it was horrible to jump but I assume he just had his shock set up like shit because I can't even start to understand what he was talking about. The bike jumps great.

Posted: Oct 31, 2023 at 9:58 Quote
Selling a dark green status 140 - Size S3 in the Denver area if anyone is interested.

Mostly stock!

Posted: Oct 31, 2023 at 22:37 Quote
No selling in the forums. Jail

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 8:23 Quote
I'm about to buy a Status 140 frame. I'm assuming the Fox Float X is better than the DPX2? There is a $100 premium for the Float X.

Also, I want to run my old Fox 36 27.5 fork and 27.5 front wheel. The fork is currently at 170mm travel, I can increase it to 180mm internally I believe.

Is anyone running a 27.5 fork? I like the idea of short(er) rear travel and big front travel. I have done this on another bike and it was a blast!

Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 9:19 Quote
Endurahbrah wrote:
I'm about to buy a Status 140 frame. I'm assuming the Fox Float X is better than the DPX2? There is a $100 premium for the Float X.

Also, I want to run my old Fox 36 27.5 fork and 27.5 front wheel. The fork is currently at 170mm travel, I can increase it to 180mm internally I believe.

Is anyone running a 27.5 fork? I like the idea of short(er) rear travel and big front travel. I have done this on another bike and it was a blast!

Float X is widely considered $100 better than DPX2, go for it.

I have an S4 140, and putting a 170-180mm fork on the front is going to make it ride like a chopper. Good luck in tight turns. IMO the smaller front wheel isn't an issue, but combined with a long fork, being way out front, would ride interesting...

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 9:27 Quote
ultimatist wrote:
Endurahbrah wrote:

Float X is widely considered $100 better than DPX2, go for it.

I have an S4 140, and putting a 170-180mm fork on the front is going to make it ride like a chopper. Good luck in tight turns. IMO the smaller front wheel isn't an issue, but combined with a long fork, being way out front, would ride interesting...

Thanks @ultimatist. Do you think even if I figured out the correct axle-crown dimension to simulate the stock A-C (547mm) with 29 wheel, it would ride shitty? Does fork offset have something to do with it?

My 36 fork has an A-C of 559 at 170mm. So 12mm longer than the stock 547mm. But if I'm running a 27.5 wheel, then that is roughly 20mm smaller than 29er. So it seems like I'm pretty close to stock geo?

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 10:46 Quote
I’d run what you have. If it’s shit, get a shorter air shaft, like 160mm.

Was also debating a dual 27.5 setup for my status 160 - 27.5 takeoff Zebs and 38s are nearly 50% less expensive than the same thing in 29. Made me think about a longer fork and new front wheel …

Let me know how it goes!

Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 12:12 Quote
Look, if you have the parts, you'll gain the experience and only spend time trying it out. MTB is one of the few product domains where we can still tinker. It's just my nerdy, theoretical hypothesis: you'll have to manage front traction more with a smaller tire way out there on a longer front-center.

Status riders often like to ride ass-out cause at least we know what the front will do. This setup will be more of a handful. And on straighter, faster sections, the 180 fork may be writing checks the 140 shock can't cash. Let us know how it goes!

Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 22:33 Quote
You're not going to be too high and choppered out.

With no-one on the bike, you'll be close to stock height. Bottomed out, you'll be ~40mm below the stock bottomed out height. Your average ride height is going to be somewhat in between. Your wheelbase will be basically the same. 12mm longer fork gives you what, 6mm longer wheelbase for the same offset? but the shorter offset 275 fork will cancel that out, and as you'll be further into the travel than the stock fork the bike will be shorter while you're actually riding it.

It'll probably feel a little front heavy/steepened up when you're riding down steep descents, because you'll be sinking into a lot more travel than stock, but depends how stiff you run the fork. I'd give it a go.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2023 at 4:35 Quote
Thank you guys! I love the vibes in this forum! The Status seems like a great bike to mess around with, and this forum really embraces that.

Other forums I've been on would frown if you added 10mm of fork travel for "messing up the geometry" lol.

Will post up if I follow through with it!

Posted: Nov 11, 2023 at 16:16 Quote
New bike. I just finished frame up build
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2023 at 20:41 Quote
Nice!

What travel on the Zeb? I’m thinking I want a longer fork. 170?

Posted: Nov 11, 2023 at 21:22 Quote
Build sheet
Specialized :
Status S4 Frame w/fox x shock
Power arc saddle 143mm

RockShox :
Zeb select+ 29” 170mm 44 offset

SRAM :
Eagle GX Derailer 12 speed
Eagle GX shifter 12 speed
Eagle GX chain
Eagle GX 10x50t cassette
32t chain ring
BSA 73mm bottom bracket
Eagle GX crank set 165mm
Brake adapter rear 200mm

Raceface :
Atlas 35mm bars 820mm
Atlas 35mm stem 35mm
Aeffect r 30 27.5 wheel XD 148mm
Aeffect r 30 29” wheel 15x110
Grippler grips
Aeffect r Pedal

PNW :
34.9 Dropper post loam 200mm
Puget Lever

Magura brakes :
MT5 front and rear
Rotor storm hc 203mm front
Rotor storm hc 203mm rear

Maxxis tires :
DHF 29x2.5 tan wall
DHR 27.5x2.4 tan wall

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011262
Mobile Version of Website