Powered by Outside

Alpine Trail XR

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Alpine Trail XR
FL
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 3:07 Quote
Long Term review.

I've had mine just over a year now and have ridden and raced it pretty hard in all sorts of conditions, still loving it. Overall it has been an incredible bike, If it broke/lost it, I'd buy the same one again. Here's the major maintenance/changes I've had to do to it in a year:
I just replaced the pivot bearings today as they were starting to develop some play (thanks to the mud rounds).
I replaced the brake levers to 2 finger ones as I like the feel of those better but found the brakes overall did the job for anything we have to ride in Western Australia.
I did replace the rear wheel as I had almost all the spokes come loose during my first race on the bike and it couldn't be straightened. I actually still have the original front tyre on it which is amazing, I'll switch that out soon but it could still go another few months easily.
Dropper post is getting a bit sticky now so will give that an overhaul soon.
I wish it had 10 or 11 speed as I find 12 very unnecessary and finicky. That's just my opinion though and it'll cost too much to change due to microspline so I'll just keep complaining about that and not changing it.

That's it, hope that helps. As I said I'd definitely buy this bike again and would highly recommend it to anyone.

FL
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 5:11 Quote
Thanks, I appreciate the review! cheers!

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2022 at 16:20 Quote
I've been on mine for a little over a year now. I wrecked the back wheel and had a set of I9's built and changed the rotors to ice tech's and put a 203 on the back. The stock brakes are ok and get the job done and I'm a fairly big guy at 220lbs. As far as the ride goes - in comparison my last bike was a YT Capra, also 29'er, the YT felt a lot more nimble, the Marin Trail XR is more of a bruiser, confidence inspiring in the steep chunky stuff. Despite the heft it's actually not bad to pedal around on single track and put in some mileage. Overall it's a great bike and I've been happy with the purchase.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 25, 2022 at 17:31 Quote
I built my XR up last year as I cracked the frame of my AT 8 and swapped parts over. I can't speak on stock wheels or brakes as I run We Are One rims and Magura's respectively but I would recommend them 100% of the time to anyone looking for an upgrade. I upped forked it to a 170mm Factory 36 and a Float X2 for the rear and although not the Lyrik and coil; I can say the suspension kinematics are very supple. The X2 is generally a sensitive shock but I run loads of compression and rebound and the bike still is planted and eats up the rough. I'll agree with @Altmark on it not having alot of nimbility or sprightliness likely due in part to the sticky tires and 38 lbs weight, but the traction is mint so it all balances out. That being said the shorter chainstays are definitely noticeable, especially on the larger frames. It does keep the bike super flickable and fun despite its burliness, but there is alot of bike in front of you with a slack head angle and a potentially longer fork.

Overall I give it a 9.9/10. Super capable for 150mm rear (I've ridden all the park and raced on it), the traction and suspension is mint, stock build seems like a bargain with good kit, and if you like to be different you don't see alot of Marin's. Only minuses: it's pretty heavy (more likely my part choice but still heavier than carbon fanciness) and if you're looking for a sporty, pedally bike there are definitely better choices, it's not bad just not a firm platform.

FL
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 8:41 Quote
Whelp, looks like she was supposed to come in this week, and Marin just updated the order. Delayed indefinitely. Weird because it said it shipped to sea back in early march, but I guess things get caught up along the way. Average reliability of a supply chain in 2022 I guess

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
Venturebikes wrote:
Whelp, looks like she was supposed to come in this week, and Marin just updated the order. Delayed indefinitely. Weird because it said it shipped to sea back in early march, but I guess things get caught up along the way. Average reliability of a supply chain in 2022 I guess

Where are you located? The Transition Sentinel is a great option for the AT XR. We are a dealer for Marin and Transition and are located in San Diego, CA.

FL
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 9:36 Quote
Finally came in. Wow, what a bike. Surprisingly decent climber and fast on the chunky stuff. Love it. Only gripe is the X-fusion manic dropper stopped working on the first ride... nice. Otherwise, I'm super stoked on the purchase

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
Venturebikes wrote:
Finally came in. Wow, what a bike. Surprisingly decent climber and fast on the chunky stuff. Love it. Only gripe is the X-fusion manic dropper stopped working on the first ride... nice. Otherwise, I'm super stoked on the purchase

Glad you're loving the bike.

Marin just let us know about a defect in some of the AT rocker links. Reach out to your local dealer and they can check it. It's a free replacement if it's one of the bad ones.

FL
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 16:19 Quote
yep, i had two frame warrantied, They got slopped mid 2020 into 21 and had 2 bad batches. My rocker wouldnt sit on the frame square and bound up, mounting holes wernt straight an one was off by several degrees

FL
Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:
Venturebikes wrote:

Glad you're loving the bike.

Marin just let us know about a defect in some of the AT rocker links. Reach out to your local dealer and they can check it. It's a free replacement if it's one of the bad ones.

Weird, I've talked to the Marin dealer I was doing business through and they said they haven't heard anything about this recently. I appreciate the heads up.

FL
Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
My understanding is the Problem laid with Large size frames on a mass production run that catered for both the Trail 7 & XR.
If you can see it in person ask if you can remove the top shock bolts and then see if the shock slides in and out of the linkage nicely.
As a Sure fire way - Ask to remove the rocker linkage and see if the bolt holes in the frame are tapped straight(if they are not the linkage rocker will bind when its not attached to seat stay or shock.)

If the assembly isnt correct it puts stress on the shock, especially since its trunnion and i've seen 2 air shocks crack - my Rockshox coil's shaft was rubbing the anno off.

The Demo one i rode was perfect and had no issues.

Is this the referenced issue, or is there a new recall?

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
i believe effected frames were in the market in march-july ISH 2021.
Anything labeled 22+ should be good as They didnt do anther year model untill after the "assumed" dates above.
But anything before that should be mint aswell.

i to understand it was production runs during covid that got effected.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 18:39 Quote
We are seeing really bad QC from almost everyone from the past 2 years.

That said, I am appreciative of the manufacturers' efforts to get product to market.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 18:45 Quote
mjscyclery wrote:
We are seeing really bad QC from almost everyone from the past 2 years.

Thats very true, Alot of Poor Quality over last 2 years... and it sucks we are now paying MORE for less quality.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 19:01 Quote
FWIW Marin is expecting to lower prices a bit for 2023 as the costs to land product comes down. The cost to get a bike from the factory to North America has gone up almost 500% in the past 2 years.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021189
Mobile Version of Website