- The OFFICIAL Blk Mrkt thread - post your blkmrkt here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
- The OFFICIAL Blk Mrkt thread - post your blkmrkt here!
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
Yes, Mob and Edit1 were made of SuperTherm tubing which is the highend air hardend/heat treated tubing. Not standard 4130. And not retro, haha.

sherbet wrote:
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Weird all it does is make the tubing harder so it cracks more and does not flex as much. I have never heat treated a steel frame I made. How hot do they treat these bikes? It's not like they are getting them hotter than the welding is and if they are that is not good.

What brands do you stock? All aluminum is post weld heat treated.

Sunday and S&M come to mind. As far as I'm aware, BLK MRKT frames were also post weld heat treated during their heyday.

I'm no metallurgist, as is evident and obvious. Our steel repair guy states pretty bluntly that frames don't always need post weld heat treat from factory, but when rewelded for repair work, you must make sure the grains are all properly aligned. Most science I see regarding this also seems to point this way.

Again, if you have the ability to repair it, why not do it then sell it? This way you don't need to have the background thought of some dumb kid getting it and getting hurt as they didn't take the warning seriously.

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:08 Quote
Man I wonder what really happened to Carter from Black Market. The website and webstore are still up but all the security functions have expired so it comes up as "not secure" on the browser. Kind of weird for a guy to just disappear from a somewhat popular brand. I mean maybe he owed a bunch of money to the mob and had to go into hiding.

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
26" died. DJ mostly died with it. RIP BLKMRKT.

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
sherbet wrote:
26" died. DJ mostly died with it. RIP BLKMRKT.

Black Market also made the Roam, which was a 26/27/29" frame Blank Stare

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:33 Quote
For sure, but their roots were stoutly dj/street.

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
sherbet wrote:

No doubt. But considering their BMX/DJ roots I figured Carter was too stubborn to just let his company die. BlkMrkt frames still sell for a premium when you can find them. There's gotta be something else going on behind the scenes. I know a former employee of his, maybe I'll ask if he knows anything.

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:

No doubt. But considering their BMX/DJ roots I figured Carter was too stubborn to just let his company die. BlkMrkt frames still sell for a premium when you can find them. There's gotta be something else going on behind the scenes. I know a former employee of his, maybe I'll ask if he knows anything.

After speaking to people, carter didn't have a lot to do with blk mrkt in the end anyway

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
slopestyleworldwide wrote:
seraph wrote:
sherbet wrote:

After speaking to people, carter didn't have a lot to do with blk mrkt in the end anyway

That's not the impression I got, as I literally spoke to him when I ordered my custom painted Edit 1 and NSF frame with 135mm dropouts.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
Hey guys, I have been meaning to ask this question for some time so here it goes: Are blk mrkt bikes worth more because of their discontinuance ?

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
HunterPBS wrote:
Hey guys, I have been meaning to ask this question for some time so here it goes: Are blk mrkt bikes worth more because of their discontinuance ?

Alota people liked the geometry and mighta been american made if i recall correctly. Any discontinued part is worth alot to some one odd person out there thats looking for it.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 8:22 Quote
HunterPBS wrote:

They we're simply one of the first making modern street geo MTBMX frames. but honestly, today everyone has got it dialed. They are cool collector item because its few of the US made frames out there.

I initially had the MLM frame in a 24" with 135 drop outs, disc tabs, integrated headset in custom purple glos. Sold it in order to buy an Edit1 with 44mm HT so i could run a tapered fork, as well as ISCG tabs to run a chain guide, was thinking more fun at the DJ's and BMX track.

The EDIT1 cracked at the headtube, I think it was manufacturer defect and from there on Carter really could give a shit.

Now I ride a chromag Monk and just as happy.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 23:09 Quote
photo
Picked up my first DJ and it’s an older BM Riot, thinking 08-09ish. Parts are pretty original and I’m looking to upgrade it a bit. This thing is heavy! Looking to upgrade the fork as that front end just feels so heavy. Probably do some different bars and stem. I know the fork steerer has to be straight so looking for suggestions for something to used to watch for. Anyone else have an old riot that’s been updated a bit? Looking for inspiration

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 6:47 Quote
Generally some older forks. Pike 454 u-turn air, or Argyle rct. Old reba (qr20 version) were nicely light. Maybe some older Fox. Anything with 15 or 20 mm axle will be fine but not marzocchi if it has to be light.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
Lightest i could find was an xfusion fork, just gone rigid since then though

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 10:24 Quote
Lightest available for a straight steer bike would be the old DT Swiss or White Bros forks. Not sure how strong they are though. Maybe if you got a 130mm DT Swiss fork and lowered it so you'd have more stanchion overlap.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014210
Mobile Version of Website