Powered by Outside

Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 9:25 Quote
cmoney23 wrote:
SeniorBrucio wrote:
So I have done some googling and cant seem to find the info I am looking for.

My Acros Blocklock top bearing is rough so needs replacing at some point.

Pulled the bottom bearing out and top bearing is stuck or I assume in an headset cup meaning I have to replace the whole thing.

I am looking for the actual 2018 Strive headset measurements and then whether it is possible to replace the top bearing or do I need to replace the whole headset.

The top is a ZS 44 / 28.6 The bottom is IS 52 / 40. I believe You can replace just the bearing on the top. Just need to tap it out.

Can anyone point me in the right directionÉ

Thanks mate. Seems the bearings are not standard and I am not sure if Acros has them available so maybe a new headset will be in order at some point.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
Tiltmeister wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
Does anyone know the shock size on the 2019 Spectral AL? Can't find anything on the Canyon website

As far as I know it is 230x65. Got my 2019 Spectral AL 5 yesterday. It only took 2 weeks from ordering until I recieved the bike.

photo

Nice I'm torn between the 6.0 and 5.0. I emailed Canyon about this and they said it was 200x57 although they spec the CF 9.0 with a super deluxe which I'm fairly sure they don't make in non metric sizing? Very confusing

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 23:05 Quote
[Quote="willbikeleeds"]
Tiltmeister wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
Does anyone know the shock size on the 2019 Spectral AL? Can't find anything on the Canyon website

As far as I know it is 230x65. Got my 2019 Spectral AL 5 yesterday. It only took 2 weeks from ordering until I recieved the bike.

Nice I'm torn between the 6.0 and 5.0. I emailed Canyon about this and they said it was 200x57 although they spec the CF 9.0 with a super deluxe which I'm fairly sure they don't make in non metric sizing? Very confusing

Thanks mate.I asked Canyon myself and they told me it was 230x65. I have measured the shock and the eye-to-eye length is indeed 230mm and the stroke length measures 65mm. From what I've read the increased rear travel on the 2019 Spectral comes from using a longer stroke shock. The 2018 Spectral has a 230x60 shock which gives exactly 140mm of travel, wheras the 65mm stroke shocks on the 2019 Spectral gives a little more than 150mm rear travel.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 1:29 Quote
[Quote="Tiltmeister"]
willbikeleeds wrote:
Tiltmeister wrote:

Thanks mate.I asked Canyon myself and they told me it was 230x65. I have measured the shock and the eye-to-eye length is indeed 230mm and the stroke length measures 65mm. From what I've read the increased rear travel on the 2019 Spectral comes from using a longer stroke shock. The 2018 Spectral has a 230x60 shock which gives exactly 140mm of travel, wheras the 65mm stroke shocks on the 2019 Spectral gives a little more than 150mm rear travel.

I believe the shocks are identical other than the 60mm stroke shock having a 5mm reducer in it which you can remove if wanted.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 2:23 Quote
Quick sizing question for the new 2019 Spectral. I'm 5"10 / 178cm, do I go medium or large?

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 5:20 Quote
Hi everyone!

Anyone here running Works Componenets angleset? I remember some Strive owners from this thread tried and loved it.

I'm tempted to try one on my 2018 Large Strive CF, but I was wondering how will affect reach? How much will it shorten it? 5mm or more?

I tried some bike geo calculators, but they tell me it will lengthen reach by 3mm, which doesn't make sense to me.

So anyone here got some first hand experience?

Funny thing, I used to run one on my Nerve some years ago, and loved it, but can't remeber shit now how reach felt... f*ck you mr. Alzheimer...

@krag
You can ride both, but if you want to go large check your inseam, because of that stupid long seat tube.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
[Quote="Tiltmeister"]
willbikeleeds wrote:
Tiltmeister wrote:

That's great, thanks for clearing that up

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 7:03 Quote
krag wrote:
Quick sizing question for the new 2019 Spectral. I'm 5"10 / 178cm, do I go medium or large?

You are exactly between the two so either one can be good it's up to your preferences. Size M has shorter (440mm) seat tube so you could install 170mm dropper while with the L (480mm) you are maxed out with a 150 but I would even double check that.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

Anyone here running Works Componenets angleset? I remember some Strive owners from this thread tried and loved it.

I'm tempted to try one on my 2018 Large Strive CF, but I was wondering how will affect reach? How much will it shorten it? 5mm or more?

I tried some bike geo calculators, but they tell me it will lengthen reach by 3mm, which doesn't make sense to me.

Funny thing, I used to run one on my Nerve some years ago, and loved it, but can't remeber shit now how reach felt... f*ck you mr. Alzheimer...

@krag
You can ride both, but if you want to go large check your inseam, because of that stupid long seat tube.
Been running it for a while now and it certainly does affect things significantly.
Firstly the product is top notch, instructions are garbage though. The bearings are also reliable.
Secondly I have some unsolved creaking going on at the minute from the headset area. Not sure if this is from headset, fork steerer CSU or carbon cracking. Not sure if the extra stress has caused issues. I have replaced bearings, green loctited CSU and redone the headset.
For trail performance it's far improved on steep or fast riding. It has affected slow speed riding and climbing negatively as expected. It's a very nervous bike on slow speed greasy rocks and tight corners. But quite remarkable when you can charge fast, massively stable platform.
Didn't even notice the reach change, but did notice the BB raise.

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

@krag

I have 4 different bikes with works components headsets, 2 of which are strives (wife's) they are easily the best upgrade I could recommend.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
[Quote="tkdbboy"]
Tiltmeister wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:

I believe the shocks are identical other than the 60mm stroke shock having a 5mm reducer in it which you can remove if wanted.

Err...not really, unless yo want the rear tyre to "smeash" into the frame... 5mm of stroke could equal 10-15mm of wheel movement. Best to double triple check before advancing...may work, may not...

Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
[Quote="handynzl"]
tkdbboy wrote:
Tiltmeister wrote:

Err...not really, unless yo want the rear tyre to "smeash" into the frame... 5mm of stroke could equal 10-15mm of wheel movement. Best to double triple check before advancing...may work, may not...

Correct ... clearance is also a factor.

I was highlighting that changing the stroke from 60 to 65 is an available option to pursue.

On my Torque I went from 70 to 75 with no issues.
Removed the shock to see the frame at bottom out position then added the 75mm stroke shock with spring removed and compared.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 2:26 Quote
Kickmehard wrote:
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

@krag

I have 4 different bikes with works components headsets, 2 of which are strives (wife's) they are easily the best upgrade I could recommend.

I was thinking to buy a 1 degree works components for my spectral, in addition (or not) of the shock offset bushings.
Is the installation the same as a normal headset or doesit need surgical precision like with the canecreek angle set ?

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 2:37 Quote
[Quote="handynzl"]
tkdbboy wrote:
Tiltmeister wrote:

Well, since the 2019 Spectral is OEM spec'ed with a 65mm stroke shock, I feel 100% certain there will not be any issues with regards to clearance Joker

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 at 5:30 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
Kickmehard wrote:
Zlikovski wrote:
Hi everyone!

@krag

I was thinking to buy a 1 degree works components for my spectral, in addition (or not) of the shock offset bushings.
Is the installation the same as a normal headset or doesit need surgical precision like with the canecreek angle set ?

The installation is much easier than a cane creek but you do have to make sure the two cups are aligned correctly. I'm not sure about the new spectral but the semi-intergrated headset on the previous strive required a bottom cup that adds about 9mm. This means that a 1 degree headset slackens the HA by about 1.5 degrees. The BB only goes up by about 2mm. Ask works components, they have always been pretty helpful.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015135
Mobile Version of Website