Powered by Outside

2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Aug 30, 2021 at 19:01 Quote
guffers158 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Giant Reign 2 from new and have been looking at upgrading my front forks as I've upgraded pretty much everything else. Can I fit 170mm forks to it? Also what size do I need for the fork as in specifications?

Love all the info. Been very helpful over that past 6 years.

Cheers,

Guffers

In theory you should be able to fit up to a 180mm travel fork, but remember that if you are upgrading the travel of your fork 10mm = to about -1 Head-tube angle. But yes it should fit 170mm.

Hope this helps
Thomas G

Posted: Sep 1, 2021 at 2:29 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Maybe you should look closely to those hanger parts and how they are connected without washer.

I still don't understand why would you want to add a washer there, it defeats the purpose of clamping the dropout to the frame. It would be exactly the same as adding washers (or purpose-cut spacer) to the slit in a stem, for example).

The whole thing is designed with cones that are concentric to the rear axle. The intention is that cones can cancel any radial play if properly set together. For this, these cones need axial clamping force provided by:
(1) Pre-clamping these tiny bolts so that the dropout is pre-set and clamping the frame nicely.
(2) When you bolt the 12 mm axle on, you then increase this axial "sandwiching" clamping force.

A washer there is just another path for the clamping force to go through instead of the cones where you actually want the clamping force to be.

So, honestly and without any intention to fight with an idiot over the internet, I would love to hear your logical explanation on why the washer is needed so I can be convinced and add it to my bike in minutes.

Smile

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 1:32 Quote
thomas-grew10bore-mtb wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Giant Reign 2 from new and have been looking at upgrading my front forks as I've upgraded pretty much everything else. Can I fit 170mm forks to it? Also what size do I need for the fork as in specifications?

Cheers,

Guffers

In theory you should be able to fit up to a 180mm travel fork, but remember that if you are upgrading the travel of your fork 10mm = to about -1 Head-tube angle. But yes it should fit 170mm.

Hope this helps
Thomas G

Ok thanks for that. Will any rockshox fork fit into the frame. Are all standard 27.5 forks the same size where they fit into the frame?

Cheers

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 0:20 Quote
guffers158 wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Guffers

Hope this helps
Thomas G

Ok thanks for that. Will any rockshox fork fit into the frame. Are all standard 27.5 forks the same size where they fit into the frame?

Cheers

Most forks now are all standard with a tapered steerer unless its at lower end of the scale where some basic ones still come as a straight steerer. As you're upgrading you will be fine, just check that it definitely says its a tapered steerer tuber (1.1/8 x 1.50) and it should all fit nice.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 23:55 Quote
Hi all,

I've finally decided to upgrade the original Dt Swiss M1700 Spline Two rims on my Reign to a pair of EX511's. I found a good deal on the rims and am now in need of spokes. I'm looking at the spoke calculator on the Dt Swiss website and don't know which hub to select. I know the new Spline 1700 comes with the 350 hub, but what about the older ones? Specifically the 2016 non-boost model that came on the 2016 Reign 1 in Australia at least.

I can see others on this thread have changed their rims on these wheels but didn't mention what hubs they are. I'm a complete novice when it comes to building wheels and don't want to end up with the wrong spokes so if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 0:09 Quote
rationalhaze wrote:
Hi all,

I've finally decided to upgrade the original Dt Swiss M1700 Spline Two rims on my Reign to a pair of EX511's. I found a good deal on the rims and am now in need of spokes. I'm looking at the spoke calculator on the Dt Swiss website and don't know which hub to select. I know the new Spline 1700 comes with the 350 hub, but what about the older ones? Specifically the 2016 non-boost model that came on the 2016 Reign 1 in Australia at least.

I can see others on this thread have changed their rims on these wheels but didn't mention what hubs they are. I'm a complete novice when it comes to building wheels and don't want to end up with the wrong spokes so if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
The M1700 spline uses EX511 rims. Spoke length will be identical, as will be the rims.
You should use new nipples when rebuilding, along with nipple washers. I think the ex511 comes with both, so no worries there.

Edit: I was thinking of the current gen m1700.
Don't use any spoke calculators pre-selected hubs, take your own measurements and plug into a spoke length calculator.

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 1:24 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
rationalhaze wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
The M1700 spline uses EX511 rims. Spoke length will be identical, as will be the rims.
You should use new nipples when rebuilding, along with nipple washers. I think the ex511 comes with both, so no worries there.

Edit: I was thinking of the current gen m1700.
Don't use any spoke calculators pre-selected hubs, take your own measurements and plug into a spoke length calculator.

Thanks. I probably should have been clearer. The upgrade is for wider (30mm) rims as I'm still running the original 22.5mm wide ones. You are correct, the rims I purchased came with new nipples and washers so all is well there.

I'm not confident getting all the measurements correct and as I said I don't want to end up with the wrong spokes, so that's why I'm using the Dt Swiss calculator (as they are Dt Swiss hubs and rims the calculator should be correct). That's also why I'm asking for help identifying the correct hubs to input into the calculator.

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
guffers158 wrote:
guffers158 wrote:
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Guffers

Hope this helps
Thomas G

Cheers

Just don't forget to pry the race off of the old fork and press it onto the new fork.

It's the bottom-most piece of your headset.

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
mobiller wrote:

Just don't forget to pry the race off of the old fork and press it onto the new fork.

It's the bottom-most piece of your headset.

ok cheers for that

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
G'day from Australia here!

I was just wondering if Giant actually did make an XL size 2015 Reign 2?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but did I see someone fit a Oneup 180mm dropper on a large frame? If so does anyone know how much more spare room there is under the actuator and cable roughly?

Thanks

Thomas G

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 2:41 Quote
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but did I see someone fit a Oneup 180mm dropper on a large frame?
always wondered about that question...
You can insert any length dropper in any frame. The only question is - will it fit your inseam?!..

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong but did I see someone fit a Oneup 180mm dropper on a large frame?
You can insert any length dropper in any frame. The only question is - will it fit your inseam?!..

Sorry, should've been more specific, what I meant was slammed as 'fit'

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 23:43 Quote

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but did I see someone fit a Oneup 180mm dropper on a large frame? If so does anyone know how much more spare room there is under the actuator and cable roughly?

Thanks

Thomas G

I have medium frame and 180 oneup dropper fully inserted, although it remains 55mm above the seat colar. So I doubt it could fully slam on Large. But you can do a rough calculation.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 0:11 Quote
ka81 wrote:

Sorry, should've been more specific, what I meant was slammed as 'fit'

People here don't know your 'inseam', so ...

I mean, you can have Reign size L, you can isert 200 mm dropper, but with your height (160 cm )) ) - it won't fit you in highest position...

Posted: Nov 6, 2021 at 17:40 Quote

Thanks

Thomas G

Measured my L seat tube at 255mm of max insertion space

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015859
Mobile Version of Website