Powered by Outside

Official Ghetto Parts Thread

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Official Ghetto Parts Thread
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 6:52 Quote
CRC needs that... I'd be making loads of savings lol.

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 7:02 Quote
sol-gh wrote:
CRC needs that... I'd be making loads of savings lol.

Wish they did this! I'd probably have earned enough for a new bike.

On topic, not sure it classes as ghetto but my XC bike has the non drive side chain stay almost worn through to having a hole in it! Not good! Might duct tape it up...

FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 11:20 Quote
This one time I sheered a 5mm bolt on my stem and couldn't get the bolt out. I had a plan, so jumped the fence onto where some new houses were being constructed (because I'd just seen all the builders go off for lunch), dipped the end of a 4mm allan key in wet concrete, strolled straight out of the site and back into my garage. Then I put the wet concrete in the sheered head of the 5mm bolt and stuck the 4mm allan key in afterwards. Left it for like 4 hours, came back and simply undid the bolt.

Did it again recently but with superglue (works much better).

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 11:27 Quote
My bikes not actually thaaat ghetto. It just looks excessively jank. The rust has picked up a bit over the winter, as has the raw patch on my stanchion. The most recent entry to the club is the lack of 3/4s of a bolt in the bottom of the lowers, so there is pretty much only friction on the shaft holding one side on

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 11:43 Quote
tom666 wrote:
This one time I sheered a 5mm bolt on my stem and couldn't get the bolt out. I had a plan, so jumped the fence onto where some new houses were being constructed (because I'd just seen all the builders go off for lunch), dipped the end of a 4mm allan key in wet concrete, strolled straight out of the site and back into my garage. Then I put the wet concrete in the sheered head of the 5mm bolt and stuck the 4mm allan key in afterwards. Left it for like 4 hours, came back and simply undid the bolt.

Did it again recently but with superglue (works much better).

I had this but used a blowtorch to heat up the bolt..

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 12:54 Quote
dingus wrote:
You can see where Bionicon got their inspiration from...

From me! Razz

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 14:15 Quote
I like this thread Fab

My front wheel is spoked wrongly, so it's wobbly as shit. However because its built wrong, the spokes don't seem to loose tension tup so it's not getting any worse!

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 14:43 Quote
Speaking of ghetto wheels I did a pretty ghetto fix on my old bmx. Broke a few spokes and the shop only had ones for 26" and no spoke cutter so I bent one end into a "J" at the right length, trimmed the excess and threaded it on with a nipple like you would normally, then I just took some needle nose pliers and finished the improvised head. Worked quite well

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 14:45 Quote
So at the rim or hub you cut off the extra?

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 14:51 Quote
The j-hook was to replace the head of the spoke at the hub. Was actually pretty legit as opposed to ghetto

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 14:52 Quote
Yea cause I was thinking, you can't cut off the threaded end cause then it's just loose and nothing to hold on to. Long as it works ehhh!

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 14:53 Quote
It outlasted some other spokes I replaced later on ( they were the right length)

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 14:57 Quote
Then it's a win. Ghetto fixes that work out always get you stoked. Might have to plastic weld some shit on my RC viper tonight lmfao not sure how it's gonna go.

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 15:23 Quote
tomcrowther wrote:
I like this thread Fab

My front wheel is spoked wrongly, so it's wobbly as shit. However because its built wrong, the spokes don't seem to loose tension tup so it's not getting any worse!

Wheel truing has never been on of my strong points. Haha

Posted: Feb 6, 2013 at 15:30 Quote
mr-nozzer wrote:
tomcrowther wrote:
I like this thread Fab

Wheel truing has never been on of my strong points. Haha

LBS mechanic was confused as f*ck with it haha 'it looks right, but it's all wrong' front still needs doing, but it doesn't touch my fork when riding so do not care

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023053
Mobile Version of Website