Karpiel?

Posted: Nov 8, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
Muttley wrote:
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
someone used a session 88 for this years rampage me thinks

The Rampage was WON on a session 88.

proven at 8:11 on this video

Views: 21,838    Faves: 597    Comments: 65

also i could be wrong but at 7:40 is that not a Kona Stinky?

Posted: Nov 8, 2009 at 14:40 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
and alot of owners that "bought into" the idea that these frames were pretty much unbreakable, also broke them

the Scream was actually the only frame he did not break, but it did not have enough rear travel (in his opinion) and he asked another brand to make him a custom hucking frame, which ended his relationship with Banshee Bikes

You can overbuild a frame as much as you like, gusset overlapping gusset overlapping gussets with extra metal jammed between. However, you need to remember to heat treat them if you want them to last. eh? *cough.

And paragraph number 2, reference to the Canfield Big Fat Fatty Fat or another bike? I know for sure it's a Canfield (EDIT: oh, wait. I think that could be the one that ended his relationship with Karpiel.), and also that he broke that aswell! lol

Posted: Nov 8, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
KarpielDownhill wrote:
I'm not one of those people, so il stick with suspension. im already gathering the money for it. a treck 10? im on about a karpiel not a treck Confused
Solid bikes are made solid, so that they will only crack when pushed beyond limits, in this bikes case it 70ft drops, which it apears to take well!

Well, i was using the session 10 as a comparison to the 88. But if you really want the karpiel, go for it. I can't see you going out and doing 70 ft drops though. I'm not saying you can't though, but you don't want to just jump into it because you have gobs of travel, it's a good way of hurting yourself. Work your way up to going big. Also, having a really heavy bike sucks for pedaling, or even pushing up a hill. Hope you have good shuttling services, or a chairlift nearby.

Oh, also. It's "Trek".

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 4:43 Quote
Muttley wrote:
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
someone used a session 88 for this years rampage me thinks

The Rampage was WON on a session 88.

pro's dont have to use the same frame all year though.

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 10:03 Quote

the bike buying public will never know the *truth* about which frames break, or which parts break if looking at "pro riders" for any kind of endorsement

something very interesting about bike companies is that they use skilled professional riders for their testing - these guys may go bigger than many amateurs, but also don't tend to land sideways, bail their bikes or totally f*ck things up like many Am's!!

if you really want to know how a product will survive, give it to a "hack" (poorly skilled AM rider that is known for crashing), a lack of love, lack of maintenance, lack of reading the instructions...this will kill any product WAY quicker than having a Pro rider who has a Pro mechanic on the test programme

did you guys know that Bender actually rode for Kona for some months?

if you really knew how many frames he folded, you would be shocked (Kona asked him to "move on") Wink

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 10:17 Quote
DustinOrssich wrote:
KarpielDownhill wrote:
I'm not one of those people, so il stick with suspension. im already gathering the money for it. a treck 10? im on about a karpiel not a treck Confused
Solid bikes are made solid, so that they will only crack when pushed beyond limits, in this bikes case it 70ft drops, which it apears to take well!

Well, i was using the session 10 as a comparison to the 88. But if you really want the karpiel, go for it. I can't see you going out and doing 70 ft drops though. I'm not saying you can't though, but you don't want to just jump into it because you have gobs of travel, it's a good way of hurting yourself. Work your way up to going big. Also, having a really heavy bike sucks for pedaling, or even pushing up a hill. Hope you have good shuttling services, or a chairlift nearby.

Oh, also. It's "Trek".
Ye i get you, ye i was gonna start on medium stuff on it, then build up to bigger things, but i dont think il be doing 70ft drops even after getting better on a bike!

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 10:20 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

the bike buying public will never know the *truth* about which frames break, or which parts break if looking at "pro riders" for any kind of endorsement

something very interesting about bike companies is that they use skilled professional riders for their testing - these guys may go bigger than many amateurs, but also don't tend to land sideways, bail their bikes or totally f*ck things up like many Am's!!

if you really want to know how a product will survive, give it to a "hack" (poorly skilled AM rider that is known for crashing), a lack of love, lack of maintenance, lack of reading the instructions...this will kill any product WAY quicker than having a Pro rider who has a Pro mechanic on the test programme

if you really knew how many frames he folded, you would be shocked (Kona asked him to "move on") Wink

You are right on many levels, but the most common cause of frame failure isn't being a hack, or riding too much like a pro. It's poor set up. Too much preload, wrong spring rate, poorly serviced suspension and bearings. All play a bigger role than general hackness.

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

as a pro rider as par say though,how many frames do you go through a racing pro would helping development wouldnt he where as you at a guess would be more of a destruction tester maybe,im only guessing on that part though.

sorry if that came out gobbeldy gook but i cant see what im typing at the mintue due to bugs.

FL
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 10:52 Quote
ok you probably wont listen to this post because your being so damn stubborn about getting an apoc but have you considered some of the othe more modern long travel frames that are more suitable for dhing not just hucking?
heres a list of some off the top of my head.
karpiel disco volante 250mm and it looks way nicer than the apocolype and is cheaper
the corsair crown 240mm (dual shocks like the apocolypse but looks way cooler and has received really good reviews)

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 11:05 Quote
almightybenners wrote:
ok you probably wont listen to this post because your being so damn stubborn about getting an apoc but have you considered some of the othe more modern long travel frames that are more suitable for dhing not just hucking?
heres a list of some off the top of my head.
karpiel disco volante 250mm and it looks way nicer than the apocolype and is cheaper
the corsair crown 240mm (dual shocks like the apocolypse but looks way cooler and has received really good reviews)
Sorry, but im still being stuborn to a apoc, plus i dont want a bike that i dont like or really want

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
people will never agree to your want's,i would buy the bike and ride it or get a test ride frist.

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 11:16 Quote
marquis wrote:
people will never agree to your want's,i would buy the bike and ride it or get a test ride frist.
ye, fair enough, the bike isnt to everybody's taste and needs, but i love them and itl get me into more 'extreme' things on it.

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 11:20 Quote
KarpielDownhill wrote:
marquis wrote:
ye, fair enough, the bike isnt to everybody's taste and needs, but i love them and itl get me into more 'extreme' things on it.

confidence/ability and balls will help too,but having confidence in the bike also helps i suppose.

buck the trend buy what you like and ride what you like.

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
marquis wrote:
KarpielDownhill wrote:
marquis wrote:

confidence/ability and balls will help too,but having confidence in the bike also helps i suppose.

now your talking Big Grin i hate having the same bike as everyone else, but i bet that il be a member of a very small karpiel owners group! ye, i can do medium stuff on the stinky, but the low freeride frame limits my speed/balls, this thing should give me more confidence all round.

Posted: Nov 9, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
KarpielDownhill wrote:
marquis wrote:
KarpielDownhill wrote:

now your talking Big Grin i hate having the same bike as everyone else, but i bet that il be a member of a very small karpiel owners group! ye, i can do medium stuff on the stinky, but the low freeride frame limits my speed/balls, this thing should give me more confidence all round.

now im lost Very confused low stinky.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024507
Mobile Version of Website