Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 7:43 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Norco, I feel like they always have good attention to detail on their bikes and I don’t think Giant stands behind their product.

This yes

Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 7:44 Quote
scotteh wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
You should buy my large ranger frame so i can buy a phantom. only downside is it's the black one
Don't tempt me! Out of interest, how long of a dropper could you fit on your v3 Phantom?

I currently have a large Knolly Fugitive with a 456mm seat tube, and a 180mm OneUp dropper post (267mm insert length) slammed to the collar. On a large Phantom v3.2, the seat tube is 455mm with a maximum insert length of 238mm. Looks like I would only be able to run a ~150mm dropper on the Phantom, calculated as essentially the difference in insert length, since the seat tube lengths are ~the same, but the insert length is 29mm shorter?

Clap, get rid of those wheel decals and that Phantom is Drool

For what it's worth, I rune a large Banshee Phantom V3 with a 210mm Oneup V2 Post with room to drop 5mm or so if needed. Inside leg is about 33" (I do have a fairly low stack saddle which makes a big difference). Note tat max insertion depth on the banshee's is for full diameter post... the actuator can go further.

Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 8:04 Quote
BansheeRiders wrote:
scotteh wrote:
Looks like I would only be able to run a ~150mm dropper on the Phantom
For what it's worth, I rune a large Banshee Phantom V3 with a 210mm OneUp v2 Post with room to drop 5mm or so if needed. Inside leg is about 33" (I do have a fairly low stack saddle which makes a big difference). Note tat max insertion depth on the banshee's is for full diameter post... the actuator can go further.
Very interesting, thanks! That would mean I could probably run closer to a 170mm post as the OneUp dropper actuator is 15mm...

Which saddle do you have? And to the broader group - any favourite low stack saddles?

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2023 at 8:33 Quote
nubbs wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Norco, I feel like they always have good attention to detail on their bikes and I don’t think Giant stands behind their product.

This yes

Thanks for the input. Kind of confirmed my feelings. Some good “used” bikes out there right now.

Posted: Feb 26, 2023 at 3:16 Quote
scotteh wrote:
BansheeRiders wrote:
scotteh wrote:
Looks like I would only be able to run a ~150mm dropper on the Phantom
For what it's worth, I rune a large Banshee Phantom V3 with a 210mm OneUp v2 Post with room to drop 5mm or so if needed. Inside leg is about 33" (I do have a fairly low stack saddle which makes a big difference). Note tat max insertion depth on the banshee's is for full diameter post... the actuator can go further.
Very interesting, thanks! That would mean I could probably run closer to a 170mm post as the OneUp dropper actuator is 15mm...

Which saddle do you have? And to the broader group - any favourite low stack saddles?

I run a nukeproof sam hill enduro saddle. it's the only saddle (weirdly) that seems to have specifically targeted stack height. I also find it comfy and a good shape on descents to avoid catching it much.

Posted: Feb 26, 2023 at 6:09 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Shit. I have been eye humping the hell out of the new Conti stuff. May have to pull the trigger.

I was always a Maxxis guy. DHF, DHR2, Assegai, Aggressor, Dissector - all great tires I would run

I then tried some Michelin Wild Enduros on a demo bike and I gelled with them straight away. Perfect balance for me between being aggressive enough to use in the wet, mud and loam, whilst also hooking up great in the dry and on hardpack. The front and rear specific treads are great. Rear one is half way to being a semi slick but still has plenty of grip and braking traction. Front one super angular and aggressive.

I have the competition line ones (1000-1100g each) on the AM bike and the DH casing version on the DH bike (1350g or something)

Then I went to core bike (a trade show in the UK) last week and saw the new Kryptotal in the flesh and I have to confess that looks like a mean tire. I want to give that a try.

And then, check this, Pirelli had a really nice looking Enduro/DH tire on display as well Eek

Pirelli Scorpion

These big car tire companies are coming to bikes and they're not playing

Posted: Mar 2, 2023 at 21:44 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Haha i climbed 1 million feet only on mtb last year

photo

Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 2:50 Quote
Missed you brother!!

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 7:04 Quote
iggzdaloc wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Haha i climbed 1 million feet only on mtb last year

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 8:15 Quote
That's only 189 miles.

If you do a 10 mile climb every week, you'd hit that in 19 weeks, or around 5 months.

Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 8:27 Quote
Math is hard?

“It’s difficult to comprehend what it means to climb a million feet on a mountain bike in one year. It’s the equivalent of “Everesting” more than 34 times, or riding the complete Tour de France route (on dirt) every other month, or climbing more than 2,700 vertical feet every single day, 52 weeks straight.”

A local woman did it semi recently. It was a big deal and not easy. So much dedication

https://www.giro.com/news/reasons-with-margaux-elliott.html

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 8:53 Quote
photo

Proof.
It was hard. Most of it involved night rides since i had to work 6 days a week aside from a few trips. A lot of 7000 foot days after work only finishing at 10pm, summer solstice where i climbed almost 12000 feet. I met up with a friend in revelstoke in october and we climbed/hiked up mt cartier which was like 7k over 8 miles. It was an insane year but then you see what that Ben Hildred guy does and my year pales in comparison. Glad i did it but theres always someone more gnarly.

Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 9:21 Quote
Much respect!

More details please! Did you set a goal of one million feet? How many chains and cassettes did you wear out? Mostly on a big bike?

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 9:40 Quote
Circe wrote:
Much respect!

More details please! Did you set a goal of one million feet? How many chains and cassettes did you wear out? Mostly on a big bike?

yeah, i wanna know all the deets as well, thats mighty impressive.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2023 at 10:47 Quote
tbeezle wrote:
Circe wrote:
Much respect!

yeah, i wanna know all the deets as well, thats mighty impressive.

Goal was kind of a joke at first, my buddy and i were talking about mark weir doing it on a heavy ass VP Free with 2x9 or whatever it was, and how it shouldn't be too hard with 1x12. My buddy also completed a million so it was helpful to have someone else in it, although I think we only rode together 50% of the time due to schedule differences.

I think i used 2 cassettes; tail end of an e13 9-50t until maybe april, and then swapped to an XX1 10-52, which is still going strong actually. I used 5 chains; started with an xx1 until mid february, then a KMC that lasted all of 2 weeks (links kept breaking), and then an X01 that made it about 6 months, then two GXs, one of which is still going. I broke one wheel towards the beginning (a Roval Control Carbon that was on the rear of the big bike), but my Reserve 30s survived the whole year, although the rear wheel needs a rebuild now. I believe i went through 14 tires at the very least, most likely more.

I started the year on a specialized enduro, and then got a RM Altitude in may which i rode the remainder of the year. I had a rotating short travel bike during the year (Stumpjumper, forbidden druid, revel ranger) that saw about 300 miles total but i didnt really get along with any of them.

I also transitioned from flats to clipless in June which helped spice things up a bit haha.

happy to answer any other questions.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.070963
Mobile Version of Website