Powered by Outside

Forbidden Druid

PB Forum :: Other
Forbidden Druid
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 25, 2023 at 17:39 Quote
If anyone is curious it is possible to install the new SRAM XX Transmission on a Druid LTD the answer is yes. The main challenge is the chain line. Forbidden had informed me that the chain line for the Druid is 52mm vs the expected 55mm of the new SRAM transmission. I thought this would be an issue for the upper idler pulley but it wasn’t. Instead it is the lower chain guide that is a problem. I used two 3mm axle spacers, one on each screw of the chain guide to push it out 3mm. Everything else was as described in the SRAM custom bike description of the manual.

I needed to remove 1 link in order to get the correct chain length AND had to do a micro adjust to 5 for a Druid size M. Just did a quick 5 mile ride to test it and it works perfectly. I also put one on my Stumpjumper Evo and I rode that for 20 miles yesterday. I didn’t notice any difference in the quality of shifts however the Druid is louder than the Evo. OTOH the Evo is almost eerily silent with the new Transmission. On both you really can shift your heart out at full power with no grinding. Had to force myself to do it the first few times but now I feel like if I ride a bike without it I will miss that part terribly.

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 20:54 Quote
Brian81wge1 wrote:
If anyone is curious it is possible to install the new SRAM XX Transmission on a Druid LTD the answer is yes. The main challenge is the chain line. Forbidden had informed me that the chain line for the Druid is 52mm vs the expected 55mm of the new SRAM transmission. I thought this would be an issue for the upper idler pulley but it wasn’t. Instead it is the lower chain guide that is a problem. I used two 3mm axle spacers, one on each screw of the chain guide to push it out 3mm. Everything else was as described in the SRAM custom bike description of the manual.

I needed to remove 1 link in order to get the correct chain length AND had to do a micro adjust to 5 for a Druid size M. Just did a quick 5 mile ride to test it and it works perfectly. I also put one on my Stumpjumper Evo and I rode that for 20 miles yesterday. I didn’t notice any difference in the quality of shifts however the Druid is louder than the Evo. OTOH the Evo is almost eerily silent with the new Transmission. On both you really can shift your heart out at full power with no grinding. Had to force myself to do it the first few times but now I feel like if I ride a bike without it I will miss that part terribly.

I shifted idler pulley out 3mm as well, shifts silently. I left chain length at 126 and set derailleur in "A" position.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2023 at 8:07 Quote
Anyone riding the dpx2 on the Druid and have that squish sound? Shock operates fine and feels good just wondering if others have that sound

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 11:10 Quote
rsmisko wrote:
Anyone riding the dpx2 on the Druid and have that squish sound? Shock operates fine and feels good just wondering if others have that sound

I have it and it drives me nuts. Works great otherwise.

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 7:01 Quote
tkrumroy wrote:
cmb47 wrote:
Curious what everyone was riding before they picked up their Druids and how it compares? I just sold my 2020 Norco Optic and it was hands down the best bike I've ever had. Phenomenal all around bike but life is too short to keep one bike! Being in NY, no way I'll ever get the chance to demo a Druid so I'd have to take a leap like I did the Optic.

I wrote this earlier today in a Facebook group. I just came off of riding the 2020 Hightower for the past 12 months.

“ Yep! I just came from a 2020 Hightower v2 that I rode for exactly the past 12 months. I put 1000+ miles on it during that time and just got my druid last week (I've only put 35 miles on it since.)

Here's my thoughts.

The geometry of the hightower feels like it fits my body better at 6'2" (I'm on an XL). The cockpit of the druid is slightly more cramped but I think that's expected moving to more of a trail bike than an enduro bike.

I miss the steeper seat tube angle of the hightower - I Honestly think that it climbs JUST barely better than the druid and I think that's only due to it being slightly lighter and slightly steeper seat tube.

However, it does NOT have to be ridden really hard to appreciate it. I took it to my local trail that I ride about 200x a year on today and I had my 3rd fastest time without really trying hard. I felt much more agile around the turns and found myself jumping a lot more of the roots than I used to on the hightower. It was simply more fun.

This past weekend I took it to the mountains and rode some really steep technical trails. The descents BLEW the hightower out of the water due to the rear suspension. It ate up all of the big chunk so much more effectively than the hightower did but somehow had me feeling more lively and more poppy and fun on the sections where I could get the bike in the air.

But - today I took it to a small jump track and I felt like the rear end was harder for me to get into the air off the lips of the jumps. It's a slow speed jump track and I could tell that the chainstay was slightly longer out back which I'm sure will just take a short time to get used to. I'm not worried about it but I thought that's worth mentioning.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong. There's parts I miss about my hightower and there's parts I like much better about the druid. You will have a blast on both bikes.

Today I changed the travel on my FOX36 from 160mm to 150mm and the bike is definitely more trail oriented now. For sure. So I would say this - if you want a fun trail bike that can eat up really big chunk, go with the Druid. But if you're looking for more of an enduro feel, something that may feel really stable at a bike park, I would maybe keep the hightower. Hope that helps!”

Curious on the long term review of the change from HTV2 to Druid. In looking at the actual seat tube angle of the Druid it is steeper so for tall guys as tbe post goes up it should be short ETT length? Also, was your HTV2 stock or try cascade link? I am enjoying my HTV2 with link and wanting to try the Druid but not sure it will be worth it?

FL
Posted: May 9, 2023 at 8:27 Quote
new Druid... looks similar to the Range:

photo

FL
Posted: May 11, 2023 at 23:37 Quote
I already asked in the news article about the druid V2, but i think i will get here a faster answer.
I think this is an interesting bike and i like the look, but I've got a question and hope someone can give me a serious answer.
why should I want a bike with 130mm travel that rides downhill like a 150mm bike but isn't snappy and light in the uphill, so mostly rides uphill also like a 150mm bike? Isn't there a higher wear and tear because of the shorter travel?
Please tell me, where is the real benefit of this whole less travel but rides down like more, if there isn't an advantage in the uphill?

O+ FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 8:49 Quote
Craess wrote:
I already asked in the news article about the druid V2, but i think i will get here a faster answer.
I think this is an interesting bike and i like the look, but I've got a question and hope someone can give me a serious answer.
why should I want a bike with 130mm travel that rides downhill like a 150mm bike but isn't snappy and light in the uphill, so mostly rides uphill also like a 150mm bike? Isn't there a higher wear and tear because of the shorter travel?
Please tell me, where is the real benefit of this whole less travel but rides down like more, if there isn't an advantage in the uphill?

What's your comparison and what are you looking for in a bike? If you're looking for an XC bike to climb and cruise the more mellow trails, this might not be it. But if you're looking for a bike that can climb well and handle almost anything you want to through at it on the downhills then I'd consider the Druid. It rolls really well and handles the chunk on the trail. I find it easy to manipulate and move where I want it to be. It feels poppy and playful compared to my enduro bike. Here's a first ride impression video. https://youtu.be/HW_ymKIwhd8 If your really curious, see if there are any demo opportunities near you.

FL
Posted: May 12, 2023 at 22:22 Quote
I ride a 2017 transition patrol. It‘s a 27.5 bike with 155/160 r/f travel. I‘m happy with the bike. It ok in the uphill, i can do a short sprint. And it‘s good downhill, very playful but also planted. I just wonder if with a newer bike with better geometry the uphill could be more efficient but downhill can deliver the same planted feeling as the patrol or even more if it‘s getting faster. I mostly ride rough natural trails.

I think the druid is a good bike if pointed downhill but i can‘t understand the concept of „rides like a longer travel bike“ if it‘s not more efficient as a longer travel bike like i.e. the canyon spectral. (Or my patrol)
Or is it better uphill and also downhill?

O+
Posted: May 14, 2023 at 21:43 Quote
Im probably of the minority opinion but the druid rides like a 130mm bike. i didnt think it was anything that special, and for suspension performance i actually preferred the newest stumpjumper. if anything the high pivot was just annoying and ripped my favorite riding pants. It actually climbed really well but i didnt think it was that crazy at all downhill.

O+ FL
Posted: May 15, 2023 at 7:14 Quote
The maintenance that comes with forbiddens is just a pain in the arse. The idlers last 2 minutes the linkage works it's way loose all the time. The steel idler and race guard is 100 bucks, they just aren't worth the hassle.

Had a druid and dreadnought got ride of both.

Did ride good though

Posted: May 16, 2023 at 14:22 Quote
To me, the druid pedals really well, especially on technical, punchy climb sections. The rearward axle path allows you to maintain momentum better. I feel like I can stay seated in these sections more consistently while maintaining momentum. I also ride a Pivot Trail429 which is a very efficient bike. These days, unless I plan on going for an insanely long day in the saddle or am going for a more XC oriented ride, I grab the Druid. With respect to descending capabilities, the druid eats up hits and has a pretty mellow "bottom out" feeling relative to other 130mm travel bikes. Like for example when I bottom out a stumpjumper or revel rascal, theres no question as to if I bottomed out the bike (it feels slightly harsh). On the druid sometimes I'm left questioning if a certain hit actually bottomed the bike out. I would say the advantage to owning a druid over a bike similar to say a Revel Rascal, Specialized Stumpjumper, or even a Pivot Trail429 is the descending capabilities and comfort. I would be interested in comparing the Druid to the new 2023 Transition Smuggler. I believe they would be very similar bikes in terms of capabilities. The smuggler is probably more efficient but maybe less confidence inspiring on the descents? I would have to seriously ride one to say though.

O+ FL
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 14:49 Quote
Looking for some sizing advice on the new V2 Druid. For reference, I'm 191cm tall (6'3) and looking to replace my Yeti SB 5.5 XL. I also own an Transition Spur (large) and Spire (XL).

I want my Druid to slot between the other two bikes and be my "daily driver" so to speak. I can make the S3 or S4 work, with slight modifications to both. The reach on the S4 looks perfect, with the S3 being slightly shorter than I would prefer given the steep 77* actual ST angle. The wheelbase on the S4 seems way longer than I would like for trail riding on our twisty, tight single-track, especially given the additional 10-12mm growth at sag (per the guys at Forbidden).

I'm a fan of the RAD bike fit methodology and both sizes can get me into my RAD number (86). It seems to me that I should be looking at wheelbase and rear center length more than reach and stack. Anyone similar to my height that can chime in in the ride characteristic of the new V2 in the S3 or S4 (in 29er) is much appreciated!

O+ FL
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 19:32 Quote
wellbastardfast wrote:
The maintenance that comes with forbiddens is just a pain in the arse. The idlers last 2 minutes the linkage works it's way loose all the time. The steel idler and race guard is 100 bucks, they just aren't worth the hassle.

Had a druid and dreadnought got ride of both.

Did ride good though
They don't make e-bikes so your opinion is slightly biased.

O+
Posted: May 23, 2023 at 11:11 Quote
hi all, just building up my new V1 Druid and decided to tackle the work myself (other than the brake cable routing - not equipped at home for that). I got it all looking and running great except the drivetrain. I checked Forbidden's website for chain length for an XL size. I followed the link count and found it was way too slack, removed 4 links and it's better but not shifting super well. Using an 11spd deore set up and looking for any advice on drivetrain tune up. I've watched the video about b-screw but need some advice on why the shifting isn't buttery smooth on the stand. Can't wait to ride it bit not feeling super confident at this stage. Should I stick with the recommended chain link count and live with a bit of slack in the highest gear (smallest cog)? Is that normal?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028249
Mobile Version of Website