RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread
Posted: Apr 3, 2015 at 13:45 Quote
Absent wrote:
Hey guys, I've found a brand new Totem dual position air unsold in a shop near me. They want 700$ cad for it. Do you think it's worth it?

I have one and its a bad bad fork...bad s in good. good cal on lower oil but I bet its worth it brand new.

Posted: Apr 3, 2015 at 16:01 Quote
I'd say it's worth a bit less than $700 though. Saw a new 2014 lyrik in the buysell for $450CAD last week

Posted: Apr 3, 2015 at 16:14 Quote
riish wrote:
I'd say it's worth a bit less than $700 though. Saw a new 2014 lyrik in the buysell for $450CAD last week

yeah but it is at a shop... there is one over by me still hanging on to the notion they will get 400 USD for an
08 fox36 160mm! that 2 step 160-180 totem is a mega fork! peddle up blast down.

O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2015 at 18:43 Quote
Allright thanks guys. Anything else I should know? I'm hoping they didn't throw away the box it came in with those sweet sweet stickers.

Posted: Apr 4, 2015 at 2:36 Quote
I think you are in a very strong position to knock the price down since no one else is going to buy an obsolete 40mm 26inch fork. If you're sure that's what you want, go in there with $500 in cash. Politely suggest to them that if they don't sell it to you, they may never find another buyer. Really you're doing them a favour! Of course at $500 they aren't going to make any money but hey, no one wanted to buy Totems in 2012 or 2013 so the model was discontinued. Now no one wants 26" forks, or 20mm axles. These facts all increase your bargaining power. Good luck! If they refuse, just buy a Marzocchi 55. Bettter than a totem anyway in all but looks!

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 0:50 Quote
Totem is an awesome fork! I ran a couple on a Transition Blindside a few years back, first a 2-step and later a coil. Never had any issues with either with use on everything from bike park jump lines to shuttle days, and it held up just fine with friends on dual crowns. Shame they discontinued it, it was great for mini-DH builds.

Posted: Apr 6, 2015 at 6:34 Quote
Triple8Sol wrote:
Totem is an awesome fork! I ran a couple on a Transition Blindside a few years back, first a 2-step and later a coil. Never had any issues with either with use on everything from bike park jump lines to shuttle days, and it held up just fine with friends on dual crowns. Shame they discontinued it, it was great for mini-DH builds.

same here no issues. super solid, super plush, super stiff. only problem is once you have run Totems for a while everything else looks like wimp sticks.....Smile

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:05 Quote
Hey all, so I'm a new Lyrik owner and I've landed myself in a bit of hot water.
In a nutshell I recently aquired a (lightly) used 2014 lyrik RC2DH in good shape for my 05 specialized big hit. I thought I had everything tickity boo right until when I got it in the mail and realized I hadn't requested the steer tube length. Sure enough when I get it into my bike it's too short, even with all my spacers out.

With no spacer's I'm still about 3/8ths of an inch from the top of my stem. So the lower clamp bolt of the headset grabs but the upper doesn't.

Super bummed at this point as I was really looking forward to this fork as it is perfect for my current build. Now I'm looking for ideas/options.

So first question:
- Can I simply get a new 1 1/8th straight steer tube pressed into the uppers somewhere?
- if not what years of uppers are compatible with my dampener/lowers.

At this point I'm considering all kinds of crazy stuff like finding some old steel 1 1/8th forks and hacking off a bit from there and then jb welding the $#!% out of it to give me that extra 3/8ths of an inch. Then find a little longer bolt to screw everything to the star nut. I'd probably then put some small metal strips across the two pieces to further solidify everything.

Any and all advice desperately appreciated.
VF.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:11 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
Hey all, so I'm a new Lyrik owner and I've landed myself in a bit of hot water.
In a nutshell I recently aquired a (lightly) used 2014 lyrik RC2DH in good shape for my 05 specialized big hit. I thought I had everything tickity boo right until when I got it in the mail and realized I hadn't requested the steer tube length. Sure enough when I get it into my bike it's too short, even with all my spacers out.

With no spacer's I'm still about 3/8ths of an inch from the top of my headset. So the lower clamp bolt of the headset grabs but the upper doesn't.

Super bummed at this point as I was really looking forward to this fork as it is perfect for my current build. Now I'm looking for ideas/options.

So first question:
- Can I simply get a new 1 1/8th straight steer tube pressed into the uppers somewhere?
- if not what years of uppers are compatible with my dampener/lowers.

At this point I'm considering all kinds of crazy stuff like finding some old steel 1 1/8th forks and hacking off a bit from there and then jb welding the $#!% out of it to give me that extra 3/8ths of an inch. Then find a little longer bolt to screw everything to the star nut. I'd probably then put some small metal strips across the two pieces to further solidify everything.

Any and all advice desperately appreciated.
VF.

oh heavens no don't do that... first off take a look at the stem you are using and see if you can get one that has a shorter height.

As far as steer tube pressing...not too sure about that. I think you would need a whole uppers assembly.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:13 Quote
If you're going to macgyver it, get a solid or sufficiently thick metal tube that you can slip inside the Lyrik's steer tube. (jb)weld that shit nicely and have a sleeve at the stem end so you can install your current stem. Even with JB Weld's marketing, I personally cannot get myself to trust it for this lol

@sterling, he says that it doesn't even come above the top headset

edit; oh he confused headset with stem... Get yourself a shorter stem -_- Assuming your current one has a 40mm stack height

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:18 Quote
Sorry guys big typo there * STEM
Not headset.
The fork comes through my head set but is about 3/8ths of an inch from the top of my stem

Update I just measured it properly and I need about 5/8ths (~1.5cm) of an inch to get to the top of my stem
and the stem is basically half way in my current stem. There's about 3/4 of an inch of steer tube sticking out the top of my headset right now. I don't really think I'll find short enough headset to clamp fully on that amount of material.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:20 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
Sorry guys big typo there * STEM
Not headset.
The fork comes through my head set but is about 3/8ths of an inch from the top of my stem

thought so new syem Wink

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:44 Quote
theminsta wrote:
edit; oh he confused headset with stem... Get yourself a shorter stem -_- Assuming your current one has a 40mm stack height

My current stem stack height is 30mm, I'm doubtful that I'll be able to find one much shorter than that and even if I did I doubt I can find one that will be short enough for how much steer tube I have to work with...

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:45 Quote
New stem such as a funnduro should sort you out. Is your current headset zero stack/overly high top spacer? That could solve the problem too.

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 17:53 Quote
What riish said (except for the stem because the Funnduro has 30mm): What headset are you running? I ran into that problem too but I had a Crankbrothers headset (stack height of 10mm or something) which I used for the top set, while keeping a proper bottom set.

Basically, if you are running the smallest headset and shortest stem available and still not getting the steer tube around the middle of the upper clamp bolt, then you're screwed.

crankbro headset (i only recommend running the top part of the headset as they are rather weak)
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014386
Mobile Version of Website