Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: May 10, 2020 at 22:44 Quote
Anything at the moment would be bodge of some sort. Best thing I've seen is that some just used drop bars and had the flatbar shifter hanging off the drops.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 5:36 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Has anyone run mechanical Sram Eagle using drop bar shifter/levers? like maybe Force 12 speed?
I know that AXS eagle builds on gravel bikes are a thing but i don't really want to fork over that much cash

Gevenalle does this

https://www.gevenalle.com/product/hydraulic-1x12/

I haven’t used this particular one but their 10 speed worked flawlessly. When I was too cheap to use them for 11 speed I used a seat clamp modified to hold a standard flat bar shifter on it. It worked very well as well.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 6:56 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Has anyone run mechanical Sram Eagle using drop bar shifter/levers? like maybe Force 12 speed?
I know that AXS eagle builds on gravel bikes are a thing but i don't really want to fork over that much cash

Gevenalle does this

https://www.gevenalle.com/product/hydraulic-1x12/

I haven’t used this particular one but their 10 speed worked flawlessly. When I was too cheap to use them for 11 speed I used a seat clamp modified to hold a standard flat bar shifter on it. It worked very well as well.
That might be the ugliest thing I've ever seen on a bike.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:19 Quote
its not that i absolutely need a 12th gear but having a bit more range for more grip when climbing up very dusty fireroads would be nice.

but yeah i have to agree with bblb on that last one...

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
Fair enough, I will counter with dropped seat stays.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:26 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:

how do you feel about those raised chain stays that Allied uses?

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
The easiest method is to just buy a properly indexed 12 speed bar-end shifter from Microshift, and run the excellent TRP Hylex brakes or something. Great setup if you like bar-end shifters, and you get full Eagle derailleur, cassette, etc.

https://www.microshift.com/en/product/bs-sr-m12/

Next option, if you must have integrated shifters, is to go 11 speed, but with Eagle range. This makes the most sense if you already own a SRAM 1x11 drop bar bike, with Apex/Rival/Force 1 shifters and derailleur.

Basically all Sram’s ‘X Horizon’ horizontal-swing derailleurs for 1x road and MTB are the same- but they use different cages and cable fins. So you can buy an additional Eagle derailleur, and combine them in two ways.

First, you can take the cable fin off an ‘Exact Actuation’ derailleur, (Rival 1) and instal it onto an Eagle (GX) Derailleur. (I say Rival and GX, as Apex and NX have riveted fins)

OR: you can swap the whole cage and pulley wheel assembly from a Eagle derailleur onto a exact actuation 1x11 road derailleur.

Now you basically have ‘11 speed Road Eagle’. Then you buy a wide range 11-50T 11 speed cassette from Sunrace, or that snazzy new Deore M5100 10-51T that Shimano just released.

There is also this guy in Germany that supposedly hand makes 12 and 13 speed SRAM road shifters...

https://m.facebook.com/StockRennsporttechnik/

And for the record, SRAM 1x11 road setups can easily clear a 46T, and maybe more with a road link.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
gotohe11carolina wrote:

how do you feel about those raised chain stays that Allied uses?
Woof, hadn’t seen that before. Reminds me of the old Haro mountain bikes.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
alreadyupsidedown wrote:
And for the record, SRAM 1x11 road setups can easily clear a 46T, and maybe more with a road link.
Their official capacity for long cage is 47t for what it’s worth. As a bonus they’re also backwards compatible with their 10 speed shifters.
As well the gevenalle shifters are indexed with the option for friction.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
So right now i have force 2x11 shifters/hydro levers, but i have the left/front shifter wired for my dropper, and i don't really want to go full AXS because i'd lose that dropper-in-the-shift-lever ability and its also expensive af, which is why i think i'll try the 9-46t cassette for now

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 8:03 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
alreadyupsidedown wrote:
Their official capacity for long cage is 47t for what it’s worth. As a bonus they’re also backwards compatible with their 10 speed shifters.
FWIW the gevenalle shifters are indexed with the option for friction.

I think you’re talking about long-cage 2x11. Total capacity takes into account the amount of chain slack the cage needs to hold, which is of importance on 2x drivetrains. We’re talking about cassette size clearance, which is more about how the derailleur contorts it’s offset upper pulley to clear huge cogs. For SRAM that is probably only 32 or 36T for 2x, and definitely 42T on 1x. But these are just official numbers, and you can put a much bigger cassette on 1x.

Yeah, the 10 speed MTB Exact Actuation stuff is great if you want a 2x11 SRAM road drivetrain with a clutch.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
So right now i have force 2x11 shifters/hydro levers, but i have the left/front shifter wired for my dropper, and i don't really want to go full AXS because i'd lose that dropper-in-the-shift-lever ability and its also expensive af, which is why i think i'll try the 9-46t cassette for now

That sounds like a wise move to me. Force 1 long cage will definitely clear a 46T. You can always get a bigger cassette in the future, and hack a GX eagle mech to make it work.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
Here's my latest review of the Kona Rove NRB
I figured... Roadies on a MTB website..this was the perfect forum.
Hopefully this helps people in future bike shopping!

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
Ooh, apologies. My mistake, memory begins to fail me as the quarantine hums along.

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
The best method is definitely just to do 11 speed. 46 on the back is nuts low. Harden the f*ck up if you need more.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013786
Mobile Version of Website