Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
Kieran-Young wrote:
gmoss wrote:
I was reluctant to try Maxxis as their dirt bike tires suck. But, I ended up liking them. However, I found something I like best. The Bontrager XR4 has become my tire year round now after switching up for the winter and summer months prior. DHF is good for the back, but I like the XR4 better. Plus, they are reasonably priced. I have them on both my bikes and another set on the table ready to go on soon. I run the 29 x 2.4's.
XR4’s are shit hot man. My dad had some on his HT in 2.6 on nice wide rims and they really took a lot of sting out of the bumps, bit fragile on the shaley/loose rocky stuff up the Golfy but they have a nice tread, grip and blow up really wide on bigger rims. I rate them. Expensive AF over here though.
I was looking at that Bontrager XR4, is it me or does that look a lot like the WTB Vigilante?
That's a nice simple deep tread pattern for an all around front tire. I'm gonna' look into that. How is it turning, meaning does it have stronger sidewalls than the Butcher--I'm guessing yes but have to ask (for 30mm carbon rim 29X2.6)

~JSV

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 18:13 Quote
XR4 is my favorite. One of the lightest all around tires as well.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 19:05 Quote
Stumpjumper Evo Alloy S2 27.5

Put some new wheels on my Stumpy Evo, eyeing some eeWings, anyone running those? how do they hold up to rocks?

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
burritos wrote:

Put some new wheels on my Stumpy Evo, eyeing some eeWings, anyone running those? how do they hold up to rocks?

Really starting to dig the stumpy Evo. Looks good.

And Probably the same as any other crank does. I can think of 100000 other things to spend 1k than some cranks tho.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Kieran-Young wrote:
gmoss wrote:
I was reluctant to try Maxxis as their dirt bike tires suck. But, I ended up liking them. However, I found something I like best. The Bontrager XR4 has become my tire year round now after switching up for the winter and summer months prior. DHF is good for the back, but I like the XR4 better. Plus, they are reasonably priced. I have them on both my bikes and another set on the table ready to go on soon. I run the 29 x 2.4's.
XR4’s are shit hot man. My dad had some on his HT in 2.6 on nice wide rims and they really took a lot of sting out of the bumps, bit fragile on the shaley/loose rocky stuff up the Golfy but they have a nice tread, grip and blow up really wide on bigger rims. I rate them. Expensive AF over here though.
I was looking at that Bontrager XR4, is it me or does that look a lot like the WTB Vigilante?
That's a nice simple deep tread pattern for an all around front tire. I'm gonna' look into that. How is it turning, meaning does it have stronger sidewalls than the Butcher--I'm guessing yes but have to ask (for 30mm carbon rim 29X2.6)

~JSV

I weigh about 210 nekked, run the 2.4 x 29 at about 17-18 psi front and 22-23 rear and like to go down as fast as I can stand. Haha. The XR4 for me holds a line excellent and doesn't roll that I notice till the psi drops below 20 in the rear. I have ran the front as low as 15 psi before, unknowinfly until after a ride.

Plus, they are reasonable. 2 at the bike shop cost me a $100.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 20:47 Quote
Tinshield wrote:

I second that, I've had them on the last two bikes I've owned and like them for my use. They are fairly light too, but I have slashed a sidewall before so keep that in mind.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 0:25 Quote
BrendanB229 wrote:
Tinshield wrote:

I second that, I've had them on the last two bikes I've owned and like them for my use. They are fairly light too, but I have slashed a sidewall before so keep that in mind.

Why not go SE4 then?
I've also been on XR4's in both 2.4 and 2.6 and as much as I liked them on all the "roll over" stuff I found the sidewalls to suffer a bit in high g turn.
The SE4 ticked that box too with the stiffer sidewalls

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
BrendanB229 wrote:
Tinshield wrote:

Why not go SE4 then?
I've also been on XR4's in both 2.4 and 2.6 and as much as I liked them on all the "roll over" stuff I found the sidewalls to suffer a bit in high g turn.

If you need the protection sure. I haven't had any issues cutting XR4's and like the feel of a light tire.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
Thorjensen wrote:
BrendanB229 wrote:

Why not go SE4 then?

If you need the protection sure. I haven't had any issues cutting XR4's and like the feel of a light tire.

Same.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:32 Quote
I liked the xr4 when I ran it, but found they lacked in the grip department (at least when compared to the minion or assagai). They definitely roll easily and are light, but I prefer to compromise for traction.

Jasonbourne wrote:
burritos wrote:
..eyeing some eeWings, anyone running those? how do they hold up to rocks?

..Probably the same as any other crank does

I would think far better considering titanium is considerably more durable than aluminum and carbon.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:19 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
BrendanB229 wrote:
Tinshield wrote:

Why not go SE4 then?

I actually have tried SE4s and SE5s, but they weigh closer to other brand's tires of similar tread patterns. The real bonus of the XR4 is the weight. The trail that I ride at a lot that is close to me is made up of lots of rock slabs so there is most definitely a factor of line choice when I slashed the sidewall (and it still held air the whole rest of the ride)

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
Thorjensen wrote:
BrendanB229 wrote:
Tinshield wrote:

Why not go SE4 then?
@Thorjensen
So are you saying the SE4 better alternative to the XR4? I looked at some profiles and thought there was another "SE5" that MAY be better for front, but you have used SE4, do you think it's better/stronger on the sidewalls (than the XR4)?

~JSV

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
What Spank wheels are those and what tire width are you running? I've been looking into some Spanks.
burritos wrote:

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
the amount of people replying above lately is absurd

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
reximus42 wrote:
What Spank wheels are those and what tire width are you running? I've been looking into some Spanks.
burritos wrote:

They're Spank 33's laced to Hope 4's on oilslick spokes, Minion DHF 2.5 front DHR 2.4 rear

Rolling way faster than the stock wheelset and really digging this tire combo so far.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014365
Mobile Version of Website