Show your all mountain bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Show your all mountain bike
O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 14:34 Quote
meebo wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:
meebo wrote:

Consider magic mary front and big betty rear.

my ebike riding buddy swears by this combo.

Aye, i was running magic mary/hans dampf combo and now i wanted to try maxxis so i went with assegai/dhr2 combo and it serms like something is lacking that schwalbe has, specially the mary felt more supportive than assegai.

Which version of the Assegai did you go with. I found the EXO maxxterra to be good but tricky to get tire pressure right with.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 16:13 Quote
I AM sincerely interested in many of these tire options, which I WILL LIKELY purchase one or another on my next tire change. I've made several notes on these, I trust your input because I know you've all had experience with many tires that I haven't.

With that said, and weighing my options, looking for something commonly suggested, and needing to make a decision asap, I figured a good match (hopefully I'll like it) for my DHR2 on my carbon Roval 30mm rims would be this:
Assegai Wide Trail 29 X 2.6
https://www.backcountry.com/maxxis-assegai-tire-29in
photo
I like the tread. I like the lower TPI, I like that it's a bit stiffer/heavier than a few others I'm contemplating, so I ordered that.

Let's hope for the best, and it's only a tire, I can go for one of those XR4's or something else on the list if I don't dig it.

I'm really impressed w/all the help everyone was generous enough to offer. I've said it a hundred times, this PB forum is THE BEST to get actual useful help from riders that really know their sh*t.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
meebo wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

my ebike riding buddy swears by this combo.

Aye, i was running magic mary/hans dampf combo and now i wanted to try maxxis so i went with assegai/dhr2 combo and it serms like something is lacking that schwalbe has, specially the mary felt more supportive than assegai.

Which version of the Assegai did you go with. I found the EXO maxxterra to be good but tricky to get tire pressure right with.

If you ride aggressive at all or are a heavier rider you will not be very happy with EXO casing. Go with at least EXO+

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 16:47 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
I AM sincerely interested in many of these tire options, which I WILL LIKELY purchase one or another on my next tire change. I've made several notes on these, I trust your input because I know you've all had experience with many tires that I haven't.

With that said, and weighing my options, looking for something commonly suggested, and needing to make a decision asap, I figured a good match (hopefully I'll like it) for my DHR2 on my carbon Roval 30mm rims would be this:
Assegai Wide Trail 29 X 2.6
https://www.backcountry.com/maxxis-assegai-tire-29in
photo
I like the tread. I like the lower TPI, I like that it's a bit stiffer/heavier than a few others I'm contemplating, so I ordered that.

Let's hope for the best, and it's only a tire, I can go for one of those XR4's or something else on the list if I don't dig it.

I'm really impressed w/all the help everyone was generous enough to offer. I've said it a hundred times, this PB forum is THE BEST to get actual useful help from riders that really know their sh*t.

~JSV

where are you located, what do you ride terrain wise, how do you ride? I have been a tire whore for a long time before getting an XR4 to try. To take a suggestion here without understanding what and how the rest of us ride is doing yourself a disservice. I would not use an XR4 for more downhill, jump line stuff like many do here. You really need to dig into what you want in a tire and match best you can to what and how you ride.

I know I do not want a heavy tire (sub 800 grams). I know I don't need it. I want something I can depend on to grip in most conditions, from dry loose to mud. I want a tire that rolls well. I do not want to spend a bunch on a mtn bike tire. The XR4 fit that bill. Others did too, but it has been the best of those I have used, which include: Rekon 2.6, Ardent Race 2.35 or 2.4, Panaracer XCPro 2.35, DHRII 2.3, DHF, Forekaster 2.35, Bonty XR4.

I ride in the foothills and mtns of NC. most of what I ride is considered XCish, with lots of roots, some rocky sections, loose over hard, sandy, to groomed smooth trails. In the mtns typical mtn stuff like Pisgah, Dupont, Bent Creek. Lots of technical terrain, long climbs, etc. I like to go down hill as fast as I can stand, carve corners. I like to get a little air, but definitely not into big jumps. I like to hit the trail trash going down just to let the bike eat. I weigh 210 lbs nekked at 52 and come from a dirt bike background after spending several years prior riding the old school mtn bikes in the same terrain I do now. I ride a 2019 Highttower LT. Maybe this helps.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 18:24 Quote
Jasonbourne wrote:
Would you guys say that a 2.5 minion DHF exo+ (Front) And a 2.3 maxxis shorty exo+, (rear) both with cushcore are as stiff as a double down casing?

Nope. Thinner sidewall on the exo+ will roll easier. even with the cush core (I'm assuming pro cush core)

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
Just want to state how much I appreciate this post. Keep it going…… I’ll “Milk” it just a bit longer.
NorCalNomad wrote:
photo
secondtimeuser wrote:
Legen...
SileTzar wrote:

I'm going to try a new trend, just remember you saw it here first

...dary.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
@gmoss
You're correct. I understand the subtlety of the dynamic riding differences, that IS important. Many that have offered suggestions also included reference to their riding styles and/or conditions. I'm not going in blind, but my OCD nature will make me take several months to make a decision if I attempt to cross reference every statistical bit of knowledge I acquire and IT DOES happen to me lol.
(I'm still making a decision about drivetrain parts for one of my hardtails and it's been FOUR MONTHS because I can't decide!)

I went on general info and a bit on what info I had about a month before I posted the question here, so in a way I'm really taking your advice about that as well. That IS important. Just any tire won't cut it on any random surface or terrain.

I'm willing to concede defeat and get something different IF this doesn't cut-it for me, but I think I'm over an 80% chance this'll be at least an improvement over what I have up there now.

At least IF this assegai isn't quite right, I'll have a metric for what difference I'll be looking for in a tire next time. I'd be 100% on this DHR2 in back right now, except I'm going to 2.4 next time instead of 2.6.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 19:01 Quote
Just buy something, run it, and if you don't like it, sell it, and try something else. I have 4 tires hanging on the rack now that I have used, some heavily some a few rides. Sometimes you just have to try them to know. I have found over the years, for many things, that reading only does me so much good. I am bad about reading and reading about a change in parts or settings too.

I also tried Nobby Nics in 2.6 and decided real quick I did not like them. Ended up selling them with a set of wheels.

I also found out that I did not lime 2.6 tires on my 29 because they lacked the steering preciseness of a 2.35 or 2.4. Great at monster trucking thru stuff, but that was about the only advantage. I found them to undsersteer and had me going wide in corners so another reason I ended up on the XR4 Team issue. Heavy tires had the same affect for me, understeer and slower to change direction. 800g is my limit now.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
I buy my tires heavy enough they don’t go hiss. Currently that means exo+ up front and dd rear. I rode for years on exo with no issue lately it’s hasn’t been.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
EXO seems fine for me. I run an insert in rear to help with pinch flats but luckily my trails aren’t pokey, so not many punctures. I can imagine for a heavier rider they wouldn’t cut it, though.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 20:51 Quote
Helmet recommendations? Destroyed my giro chronicle today so need a new one asap. Thinking about a poc tectal or maybe that giro spherical mips

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 21:02 Quote
photo

photo

I like IXS. I have their light full face, and their open face trail lid. Fit nice, not too expensive, and absurdly lightweight. I like my Bell convertible helmet also.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 21:09 Quote
Scott makes a nice full face. I have the TLD stages, and really like it. The TLD stages breathes great. 6D for half shell has some of the best protection, but also warm for a half shell. 6D has some good service, and has repaired a helmet for me. Bell Super DH if you want convertible. Cant go wrong with TLD A2.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.043044
Mobile Version of Website