Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
seraph wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Interesting to note that a lot of the 2020 Stumpjumpers have Kashima Transfer posts instead of Command Posts.

Also there's a new 2020 Downieville edition Stumpjumper ST that's pretty sick.

That DVille SJ is cool and would actually be great for my local trails... But for Downieville, I'd much rather be on a standard long travel SJ with how chewed up it is now.. I have ridden it on my Enduros through the years and never really wished for a smaller bike..

Yeah I was thinking that as well. Actually it would have been cool to see the ST with a coil shock.

Not going to lie.. If I was shuttling DVille, I'd absolutely rock an Evo there.. Hell, even climbing an Evo up there would still probably be worth it for descending.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
seraph wrote:
Interesting to note that a lot of the 2020 Stumpjumpers have Kashima Transfer posts instead of Command Posts.

Are they still 34.9 or ? Any changes to Evo models or frames?

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
kwapik wrote:
seraph wrote:

Dealer site actually lists the new Downieville version with a 30.9 reverb... Which is strange because don't they make reverbs in 34.9?

Along with the 30.9 Kashima transfers on the Sworks bikes..

I don't really lack for stiffness on my 30.9 170 SDG tellis... But if you have a 34.9 frame, it would make sense to use a dropper that took advantage of it..

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
But if you have a 34.9 frame, it would make sense to use a dropper that took advantage of it..

I couldn't see how a post manufacturer is going to make different sized stanchions rather than just making different sized lower. Same bearings, guides, bushings, whatever, just a different sized tube.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 13:23 Quote
They do make reverbs in 34.9. The frame is 34.9 and are using a shim. They did it on the pre 2020 fuse.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I'm gonna try SDg for my next pair of shoes. Like MacAskills but in better colors. I just wonder how the soles will do.

On Freddo's new whip, I'll say it: I think 27.5lbs is heavy for a 100mm travel bike. That isn't any fault of his, you gotta equip the bike with stuff you like. I know the SB100 can built whippet light, but it's crazy how much weight the tires are likely adding, and I'm sure the AXS stuff isn't helping. I think we're kinda reaching peak lightness when a 100MM race XC bike is only 2-3lbs different from a high-end 150mm Enduro bike.

Then again my 120mm bike weighs 31lbs so I can't talk much.

By no means is the sb100 an XC race bike. It’s more of a short travel trail bike. I could’ve saved some weight, but then sacrificed performance and spent more money unnecessarily. This build is perfect for what I’m using it for. And it ain’t for racing XC, that’s for sure.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
You've had some bigger travel bikes in the past, have you ridden the SB100 enough to miss the travel?

What are some trails you ride locally? I promise I won't Strava stalk you...

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 13:59 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
kwapik wrote:
seraph wrote:

Dealer site actually lists the new Downieville version with a 30.9 reverb... Which is strange because don't they make reverbs in 34.9?

I don't really lack for stiffness on my 30.9 170 SDG tellis... But if you have a 34.9 frame, it would make sense to use a dropper that took advantage of it..

I was hoping Fox was going start making 34.9 Transfers. Cry

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
kwapik wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
kwapik wrote:

I was hoping Fox was going start making 34.9 Transfers. Cry

There's almost no reason for them to do so. Not too many bikes out there needing a 34.9 post.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 16:37 Quote
PHeller wrote:
You've had some bigger travel bikes in the past, have you ridden the SB100 enough to miss the travel?

What are some trails you ride locally? I promise I won't Strava stalk you...

I still have 6” enduro bike, and 8” DH bike. For the trails I’m using this for, the travel isn’t missed with the exception of a couple of drops and chutes in my local trails. I still do them, but it’s a bit rougher on this bike. I’m not on strava cuz I really don’t care about times, and overall I’m kinda slow. Just riding for fun and to keep in shape.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 19:47 Quote
Your SB100 will work better with a larger ring - suspension gets really compromised with small rings. That’s part of the conundrum with oval rings on big bikes.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
heinous wrote:
Your SB100 will work better with a larger ring - suspension gets really compromised with small rings. That’s part of the conundrum with oval rings on big bikes.
This is totally inaccurate... Suspension is designed around a given ring size, there's nothing particularly problematic with a 30t ring unless your bike was designed to run with a much larger ring. It really just comes down to the chain angle at sag with, which modern 1x setups varies greatly depending on which cog you're in on the cassette.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
Exactly. They’re not designed to function best with a 30t.

And an oval at low point like when you’re standing descending is in the mid 20s

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 21:17 Quote
Ah, my time to shine ...

I design bikes, especially kinematics. Get paid to do it. And I can tell you you're making too much of these minor differences. It's not like there's some objectively correct level of anti-squat and we all hit it, so don't you dare screw around with our perfect kinematics.

At 33% sag, for a given sprocket combination and centre of mass location, some bikes from respected brands have as little as 70% anti-squat, some have over 160%, and two fringe brands have under 20%. If you change your chainring by a few teeth, you'll change the anti-squat a few percent. Maybe as much as 20% if we compare 28T vs. 36T, which is the range we typically design frames to accommodate (sometimes only 34T). Your ability to change the kinematics of your bike with chainring size is trivial compared to the range of opinions on kinematics held by myself and other designers.

For what my opinion is worth, I'm a fan of very high anti-squat and I often recommend downsizing your chaining to increase anti-squat. The new Yetis have higher than average anti-squat, so I wouldn't recommend a Wolf Tooth 24T ring, but 30T is fine.

So go nuts, change your ring as much as you like. Optimizing your cadence is far more important than a few percent anti-squat.

To address the oval chainring issue: The typical design is to have the ring at [number of teeth] + 2T at max power and [number of teeth] - 2T at min power. A typical 30T oval ring will behave like a 32T at max power and like a 28T at min power. Not mid-20s. The bigger concern is the greater unevenness in the inertial forces of the rider's legs, not the varying anti-squat properties of the ring. Personally, I'm not a fan, but if oval rings work with your biomechanics, that's a more important factor than the kinematics.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
That’s a great breakdown, thanks!

I’ve really noticed the change in suspension with an oval ring, so much so that I went back to a round one and it makes a difference. It ‘felt’ like there was more difference in early to mid stroke, past sag, so I’d be curious your expertise on that?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.059184
Mobile Version of Website