Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 14:30 Quote
you had elastomer !

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 14:36 Quote
I mean my highest performance finishes were always in CX racing.. So I knew the spandex, canti brakes and skinny tires offroad and terrible steep head angles. But it was always on drop bars.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 14:46 Quote
Yeah riding is way different now. It was slower and definitely survive the descent not necessarily crush them as quickly now.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
Canti's and rigid ruled the day when I started. The name of clipless pedals made sense because it was an alternative to riding toe clips like roadies.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
Circe wrote:
Tire suggestions? I have Assegai/Assegai 2.5" but they don't roll for shit. I would go back to Minnion/Aggressor. That was excellent. Considering the WTB Vigi/Trail Boss. I'm not a Schwalbe fan (sorry Iggz)

Is there anything else I should consider? I want it to roll and grip.

Why don't you get on with Schwalbe? Is it their naming system? Anal Allen and Blumpkin Bob are great tire names!

I ran the Nobby Nic's on my Django and they offered as excellent grip as a tire can be at 32psi. Ordered a Ripmo V2 which comes with Assegai/Assegai, but I also ordered Magic Mary's to try out. The weight is the only gripe I hear about the Magic Mary so I'm keen to check them out when the Ripmo shows (which I am very very excited for).

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:22 Quote
Cali is dry, loose, hard, dusty...Minion type knobs best there

I’m running Mary/Hans2 combo in new Addix with Cushcore and low psi and seems good here in the Kootenays. But if I were somewhere like Cali, Kamloops, Kelowna I’d likely switch to DHF/DHR2...

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:29 Quote
Mountain bikes were heavily influenced by road and cyclocross designs for most of the '90s.

• Head-tube angles: about 70.5° - 72°
• Seat-tube angles: about 72° - 73.5°
• Stem lengths: about 100 mm - 150 mm
• Bar width: about 490 mm - 590 mm
• BB height: about 280 mm - 300+ mm, increasing throughout the decade
• Wheelbase: slightly over 1000 mm

These pretty much were cyclocross bikes, right down to the extra-long stems nearly replicating the extension to the hoods.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:32 Quote
B650wagon wrote:
Cali is dry, loose, hard, dusty...Minion type knobs best there

I’m running Mary/Hans2 combo in new Addix with Cushcore and low psi and seems good here in the Kootenays. But if I were somewhere like Cali, Kamloops, Kelowna I’d likely switch to DHF/DHR2...

Good feedback! Guess it's kind of hard to get away from the DHF/DHR2 combo for fast hardpacked trails as it's such a proven combo. I'll try the Assegai first and then the Mary's when things get damp again in the fall. I'm building up an XC hardtail so hopefully the rolling resistance of Assegai shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:32 Quote
Interesting bit on one of the recent cyclingtips podcasts about gravel bikes now pushing closer and closer to XC bike territory... it's like it's coming full circle

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:40 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Interesting bit on one of the recent cyclingtips podcasts about gravel bikes now pushing closer and closer to XC bike territory... it's like it's coming full circle

My Bjorn gravel bike has almost identical reach numbers to my Ibis DV9 that I just built up. Bjorn was intended to be a pretty progressive gravel bike, so I'm interested to see how much use it gets once my DV9 is built.

The Bjorn has been such a rad bike for bombing loops through town and being able to pop into trails as well. It's built with a Fox AX, so it's essentially like a super tall XC bike with drop bars.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
Fox AX rocks bigtime. Been loving mine.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
Mostercross has reinvented mountain bikes via exactly the same evolution: road → gravel → light trail. It worked then and it works now. And now we're seeing suspension on gravel / monstercross bikes.

Mod
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
Gravel bikes on trails is a fun way to get better.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Fox AX rocks bigtime. Been loving mine.

Mine was from the pre-production days so it's running 7 volume spacers + 160psi to get it still enough. It looks a bit comical when I pull the stack of volume spacers out as they just keep coming!

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 15:59 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
Gravel bikes on trails is a fun way to get better.

Hell yes they are;

Road bikes

Prolly going to be rocking this as my trail bike again, got f*cked out of my next bike pretty heavily. Sold my Honzo for it too. oof.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.055018
Mobile Version of Website