Enduro/AM - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Enduro/AM - The Weight Game
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
Don't know much on the road bike side of things, but it seems as of late I've been seeing more and more of those massive lower jockey wheels. Can someone explain those to me?

1. Larger jockeys rotate more slowly and bend the chain less sharply, which reduces drag. A little. Very little. Everything counts, but this is deep into "marginal gains".

2. Larger jockeys increase the ability to manage changes in chain engagement (sprocket size) without increasing the length of the derailleur's control arm.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
They're also supposed to spin with less friction than the stock ones, the ceramic speed ones use oil rather than grease in the bearings.

They're alleged to save a couple of watts, and the price is guaranteed to cause your spouse to exclaim WTF.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
The decrease in chain articulation is supposed to be of benefit as well... i have oversized ceramic pullies on my Dura Ace mech and it's not remotely noticeable but I got em for free so totally worth it.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 16:10 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
The decrease in chain articulation is supposed to be of benefit as well... i have oversized ceramic pullies on my Dura Ace mech and it's not remotely noticeable but I got em for free so totally worth it.

True, but this effect is extremely small when it's not on the loaded side of the chain.

I agree the benefits are worth only slightly more than you paid - and I'd also jump at the chance to put free snake oil on my bike!

People who spend hundreds on CeramicSpeed derailleur upgrades ... I hope they've spent a lot of time and money optimizing every other detail before resorting to fancy jockey wheels.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
Thank you all! Happy to learn something new Salute

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 20:09 Quote
I recently read the new 2021 Fox 36 has shed about 100g over the 2020 with the reshaped arch. Any confirmation of that?

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

True, but this effect is extremely small when it's not on the loaded side of the chain.

I agree the benefits are worth only slightly more than you paid - and I'd also jump at the chance to put free snake oil on my bike!

People who spend hundreds on CeramicSpeed derailleur upgrades ... I hope they've spent a lot of time and money optimizing every other detail before resorting to fancy jockey wheels.
But they look shiney!!!!

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 23:53 Quote
A customer bought a pair of those ceramic speed jockey wheels and immediately let a friend borrow the bike..

Friend tipped the bike over and bent the hanger and immediately proceeded to shift the derailleur into the spokes.

Broke the der cage, bent the jockey wheels, blew out all the driveside spokes, etc.. All before the customer even had a chance to ride the fancy stuff himself.

Was like a 1200 mistake... Whoops.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 2:06 Quote
Pretty sure I bent my XT 12sp mech yesterday. Seem to have bent it back - but f*ck - with new derailleurs retailing at £100 I'm just going to have to pretend it's not bent

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 5:27 Quote
Damn it feels good to be a 10 speeda.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 8:23 Quote
photo

25lbs 9 oz....10 lbs lighter than my TCI!

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
Almost 12 lbs lighter than my mega lol

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 11:52 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
photo

25lbs 9 oz....10 lbs lighter than my TCI!

Ideal bike for Bend from the little riding I did there years ago.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
That's impressive! What's the travel?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.041400
Mobile Version of Website