Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 19:08 Quote
norfiril wrote:
I tried 3 different bars and stem, a reach adjustable headset and still find my bike too big for me.

Not always but I feel it hard to turn in tight corners, whip and also so exhausting to ride. Even with my first bars from my previous bike I experienced pain on my wrists and elbows (never happened to me before).

After a month with it shall I still try to adapt to it (and if so, how) or just I should consider to sell the frame and look for a shorter one?

How tall are you and which frame and size are you running?

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 1:12 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
I tried 3 different bars and stem, a reach adjustable headset and still find my bike too big for me.

Not always but I feel it hard to turn in tight corners, whip and also so exhausting to ride. Even with my first bars from my previous bike I experienced pain on my wrists and elbows (never happened to me before).

After a month with it shall I still try to adapt to it (and if so, how) or just I should consider to sell the frame and look for a shorter one?

6ft and XL. Not a big XL: the reach is the same as my enduro bike but it doesn’t feel like that. The WB specially feel long.

More or less is ok in bike park but on technical DH tracks I just can’t ride it well

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 1:27 Quote
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:

6ft and XL. Not a big XL: the reach is the same as my enduro bike but it doesn’t feel like that. The WB specially feel long.

More or less is ok in bike park but on technical DH tracks I just can’t ride it well

For an XL the phoenix isn't that long (I snooped your photo album to see which bike you have). I'm surprised you find it big. It's probably the long chainstays giving you issues. I'd say give it more time. I felt the same way when I got my 2021 supreme as it's a lot longer than any bike I've had. After a couple months I got the hang of it. I have a more aggressive attack position and I'm staying more forward when descending. Now my Enduro feels too small.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 8:45 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

For an XL the phoenix isn't that long (I snooped your photo album to see which bike you have). I'm surprised you find it big. It's probably the long chainstays giving you issues. I'd say give it more time. I felt the same way when I got my 2021 supreme as it's a lot longer than any bike I've had. After a couple months I got the hang of it. I have a more aggressive attack position and I'm staying more forward when descending. Now my Enduro feels too small.

Yep I was thinking the same today.

Sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it but I will wait maybe 6 months more before taking a decision.

Thanks for the advice!

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
norfiril wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
norfiril wrote:

Yep I was thinking the same today.

Sometimes I love it sometimes I hate it but I will wait maybe 6 months more before taking a decision.

Thanks for the advice!

Man I was snooping this thread looking for the exact opposite advice. I'm 6ft3 and most of my height is torso so i find my seat is always up my ass and i tower over my bike when i put my foot down. I also seem to go over the handlebars on downhill trails way too often so im trying to find a longer shorter XL bike.
My current bike is a 2012 specialized enduro and by the sounds of it, it would fit you a lot better than me.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
So i trashed my rear rim yesterday in the bike park. It's a DT Swiss FR2050, should i just get the FR 560 to replace it or would you recommend something else?

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 14:02 Quote
I have a e13 plus 35 50mm stem on my 2021 Capra pro al

What is a better more rigid stem that I could replace it with?

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 16:15 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:

the only reason to change a stem would be to change the length. You won't notice any difference in stiffness.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
Motofinne wrote:
So i trashed my rear rim yesterday in the bike park. It's a DT Swiss FR2050, should i just get the FR 560 to replace it or would you recommend something else?

Whatever you get make sure you use an insert.

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
G'day everyone I'm picking up a new Commencal Furious essential in the next few days. Does anyone got one of them and if so how do they ride?
Cheers.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 20:47 Quote
Motofinne wrote:
yeah the 560 is solid. And yes, put a cushcore in.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
Nobble wrote:
dhrider8051 wrote:

the only reason to change a stem would be to change the length. You won't notice any difference in stiffness.

^ dis, or dropping weight

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
Yeah definitely getting inserts now!

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 7:26 Quote
Gloves.

What are you using for gloves?

I like 100% but they don't last more than half a season. Tried some Leatt's and the back split open from a crash. Have also tried HandUp but I'm not a fan of the material on the palms.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
Chromag Tact are my current favorite. The fit is great, the palms are thin enough to offer great feel but sturdy enough to hold up, and the palm material is just slightly grippy, which I really like.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024076
Mobile Version of Website