Nukeproof Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Nukeproof Owners Club
Posted: Feb 26, 2024 at 15:53 Quote
I'm able to be apart of this thread now!

I bought a 2020 used Carbon Mega 290 frame, used some components from my hardtail, bought new wheels/disc rotors and a Fox fork.

photo
photo

I need a little advice;

The rear shock is borrowed from a friend so I can use the bike until I get my own rear shock. It's actually from another Nukeproof Mega 290..

As I have a Fox fork, I was thinking about getting a Fox rear shock. I have found a Fox Float X2 Performance Elite Rear Shock that came from a Megawatt so it's the same size eye-to-eye and the same stroke length as my Mega 290 (230x62.5mm)

Is that an appropriate rear shock for my frame? If it is, I should be able to use my current bushings right?

Many thanks.

Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 13:09 Quote
CeeJayTee wrote:
I'm able to be apart of this thread now!

I bought a 2020 used Carbon Mega 290 frame, used some components from my hardtail, bought new wheels/disc rotors and a Fox fork.

Killer looking bike - very nice looking for a 2020. Appears that previous owner took great care of it.

Posted: Feb 27, 2024 at 14:13 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Killer looking bike - very nice looking for a 2020. Appears that previous owner took great care of it.

Much appreciated. I bought it with low expectations, as my budget for a used frame wasn't great. When I got it, I was quite surprised how good it was. It still has all of the clear frame protection stickers on it, and none of them are peeling off.

I bought a new set of rubber cable grommets as they had seen better days, and a new rear mech hanger to save any hassle.

re my rear shock; I decided against a a Fox replacement.

I bought the the super-deluxe-ultimate that I borrowed from a mate. There's a teeny bit of squelching when compressing/uncompressing, and I think it slowly loses air. There's no oil leaking, but I decided to send it to TF Tuned for a full service anyway. The price is good, and they are highly recommended.

After careful thought, it would make sense to keep using the shock that was tuned to this frame, rather than buying a new one, then paying more money to get that tuned etc.

It's my first full suspension bike since I had a Cannondale SuperV1000 back in 1997. Beer

Posted: Feb 28, 2024 at 5:33 Quote
Just a recommendation, the megneg air can upgrade works very well with that version of the Mega. Had it myself and it made a big difference.

Posted: Mar 1, 2024 at 23:26 Quote
Thankfully I've been able to get a spare seatstay and chainstay for my 2018 mega for a total of £40

Couldn't get any hardware or a swinglink, it sold too quickly

I've got 3 hangers for the frame. I'm unsure what years they cover but if anyone's struggling to get one I'm happy to help out

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2024 at 18:15 Quote
Anybody got a line on a current carbon mega spares? I am hoping to get some shock bolts at least, if not more bits..

Posted: Mar 10, 2024 at 12:54 Quote
Hi y'all. I've cracked the chainstay on my 2021 Mega 290 C and have bought the 297 carbon MX kit as the most cost effective way to sort the issue. 27.5" Neutron V2 rims were going cheap too, so I'll be re-building my current Neutron rear hub onto this rim. Spoke length is the issue. Does anyone know the rear hub offset of this bike? Does the MX kit alter the offset at all?

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2024 at 10:35 Quote
Do u know if u can put a 230x65 on a mega 29er

Posted: Mar 17, 2024 at 11:02 Quote
420allday wrote:
Do u know if u can put a 230x65 on a mega 29er

Yep, no problem. Did that for a while and there's room enough.

Posted: Mar 17, 2024 at 12:53 Quote
I've just taken delivery of a bargain Giga 297 frame with X2 shock courtesy of the CRC closing down sale. Virtually everything can be transferred across from another bike apart from the fork. I'm tempted by an older Lyrik as it can go to 180mm and can be found for a reasonable prices I'm not sure I'll be losing out on much compared to a Zeb or 38?

Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 5:56 Quote
Hey dude where your able to find the bolt size ?

cerw wrote:
Hi everyone. Can somebody tell me what is the thread on the lower swing link bolt on Mega alloy 2021? Or can somebody confirm that it is M15x1.5? I don’t know how but it fell of and deform last bit of thread in seatstay and i must create tool to repair it before screwing new bolt. Thanks :-)

Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 23:19 Quote
Hi Everyone, quick question. I'm replacing the rear triangle on a 2022 GIGA 290 and I have found a rear triangle off a 2021 GIGA model, are they compatible?
Thanks

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 1:15 Quote
1pQLdH wrote:
Hi Everyone, quick question. I'm replacing the rear triangle on a 2022 GIGA 290 and I have found a rear triangle off a 2021 GIGA model, are they compatible?
Thanks

Do some research on the strength of the ‘21.

I don’t know if they’re compatible but I know that the first batch of Giga rear triangles had issues due to too little carbon (creating weakness).

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 7:05 Quote
Hi folks,
Just building up a mega 290 and am intending on putting on some 36Rhythms. Mostly ride trail/Enduro in Tweed Valley so wondering if 38s are worth throwing on instead?
Am 75kg kitted up and just ride bikes for fun, not racing.
Any tips appreciated
Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017185
Mobile Version of Website