The Official Fox 40 Float Discussion And Owners Thread

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The Official Fox 40 Float Discussion And Owners Thread
Posted: Sep 9, 2014 at 21:34 Quote
davecheng wrote:
Just resurrecting this old thread to contribute a little more information.

I have a 2015 40 Float that was from one of the first batches of 2015 forks at the Canadian distributor, OGC.

Just changed the oil in my lowers yesterday. The fork looks like it came from the factory with 10 wt green in the spring side, and 20 wt gold in the damper side. Odd.

I refilled it with 20 wt gold on both sides.

That was the same with my 40 float. i just refilled both legs with 10wt fork oil

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 22:14 Quote
Has anyone tried to run a 27.5 with a 26 on a 26 frame? Did the rack difference change anything to you?

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 7:10 Quote
want to revive this thread with simple question:
does anybody know where can an individual buy specific kit

820-02-284-KIT Service Set: 2014 40 Float Updated Butted Blue (20 lb/in) Air Piston Assembly

thing is that my 2015 float 40 fork by default comes with green negative spring which creates negative sag (my weight is 75kg, pressure is 64psi so this is not enough to compensate negative spring stiffness). less stiff blue spring, which is part of above mentioned kit will solve the problem. I'm looking for anyone who know where this kit can be bought.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 7:18 Quote
singulardroid wrote:
want to revive this thread with simple question:
does anybody know where can an individual buy specific kit

820-02-284-KIT Service Set: 2014 40 Float Updated Butted Blue (20 lb/in) Air Piston Assembly

thing is that my 2015 float 40 fork by default comes with green negative spring which creates negative sag (my weight is 75kg, pressure is 64psi so this is not enough to compensate negative spring stiffness). less stiff blue spring, which is part of above mentioned kit will solve the problem. I'm looking for anyone who know where this kit can be bought.

Where in the world are you located? Europe, Us, Canada? A fox service centre in your area can help you out.

Posted: Jun 2, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
I'm in Russia, solved by contacting Fox Germany.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 5, 2015 at 9:03 Quote
Has anyone else noticed that running less than 70PSI seems to lower the travel? I’m light so have been running my 40 Float at 60-65 PSI. I’ve noticed at this pressure, the fork sits stationary at up to 1” into its travel and when I hold the wheel and pull up I can force it to fully extend. Then when I let go it immediately sucks back down again.

I also noticed that as I bleed all the air out the fork begins to automatically compress down all the way. Only at 70psi or higher does the fork sit at full extension.

Is this normal?

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 20:17 Quote
dingdong2 wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that running less than 70PSI seems to lower the travel? I’m light so have been running my 40 Float at 60-65 PSI. I’ve noticed at this pressure, the fork sits stationary at up to 1” into its travel and when I hold the wheel and pull up I can force it to fully extend. Then when I let go it immediately sucks back down again.

I also noticed that as I bleed all the air out the fork begins to automatically compress down all the way. Only at 70psi or higher does the fork sit at full extension.

Is this normal?

Yes, this happens with all of them.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 10:21 Quote
Thanks! Looks like I'll keep it at 70psi then.

benthirlwell wrote:
dingdong2 wrote:

Is this normal?

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 12:23 Quote
dingdong2 wrote:
Thanks! Looks like I'll keep it at 70psi then.

benthirlwell wrote:
dingdong2 wrote:

Is this normal?

I keep mine at 62psi and live with the reduced travel.

O+
Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 12:42 Quote
You guys need to get a lighter (blue) negative spring (stock is green), then you'll be fine.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 20:57 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
You guys need to get a lighter (blue) negative spring (stock is green), then you'll be fine.
Nope, I got the blue.

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 5:50 Quote
Interesting. I run the orange heavy negative spring. With 75-78 psi I only get about 3-5mm of negative travel. It feels perfect this way for me.

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 17:02 Quote
40 float owners, just wanna ask you guys something; 2014 and 2015 forks are the same basically just diff. decals right? Only thing I know for sure is that the 2016s use a new air spring, but other than that the damper is the same, bleed port, etc.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 13, 2015 at 18:57 Quote
boylagz wrote:
40 float owners, just wanna ask you guys something; 2014 and 2015 forks are the same basically just diff. decals right? Only thing I know for sure is that the 2016s use a new air spring, but other than that the damper is the same, bleed port, etc.

2015 uses a high-polish stanchion that runs much smoother

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2015 at 13:54 Quote
I'd like to add a bit more about my experience with this fork:

This is my second season on the 2015 40 Float. I'm a lightweight, and typically run 57 to 59 psi in the air spring. I've been living with approximately 20 mm of reduced travel at rest (unloaded) as experienced by others in this thread because the standard negative spring (green, 22 in/lbs) wasn't designed for such low pressures.

I've tried unsuccessfully through the many channels available to me working in the industry in Canada to get a lighter negative spring. This included contacting OGC directly for the parts listed on Fox's website.

Finally this week, I had some success.

Crankworx is here right now and the Fox Factory Race Support truck is here from California (not OGC). They had one of these super rare unicorns on them: the lighter, blue 20 in/lbs negative spring. I got the spring installed, and they also serviced my fork with new-style seals that don't stick out as much from the lowers, pictured below:

New-style 40 seals.

My fork feels great now. It has about 8 mm of negative travel at rest, compared to 20 mm before. These springs are rare, and because the "Solo Air"-style air spring redesign for the 2016 40 pretty much eliminates this part, I suspect they will only get rarer.

Great support from Fox! Thanks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.103069
Mobile Version of Website