YT Capra Owners

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 at 10:36 Quote
G-A-R-Y wrote:
wordy1979 wrote:
Anyone rode the following bikes: Patrol, Alpine 6, Dune?!?!?! Just wondering your comparisions to the Capra. Thanks.

Partol. not anywhere near as progressive so in comparison blows through it's travel, offers less support and not anywhere near as much fun to ride.

Alpine worse in every way.

Dune... weird geometry... (But I like normal length bikes)

Was it an Alpine 6 you rode??

Posted: Sep 7, 2017 at 16:13 Quote
wordy1979 wrote:

Was it an Alpine 6 you rode??

sorry. an Orange Alpine. I don't even know what the 6 part means.
There's no Orange I've ever ridden that's ridden as well as a Capra tho

ride the bikes yourself though. you're not me. and don't have my preferences. nevermind my quirks Wink

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 12:05 Quote
j-wasilenko wrote:
So my new new YT Capra CF Pro Race that's only been ridden 10 times since it was delayed so long in shipping out and then I was too busy to ride, has the headset bearings seized after coming back from summer vacation.

Contacted YT they said the headset manufacturer Acros is a good brand and make a good headset but I disagree. Complete crap. Said the bike must have been washed with a high pressure hose which isn't even possible since I have only washed it by hand. Basically told me to get lost, good thing I bought the high end version of the bike...

I was satisfied so far with the bike and YT until now.

Has any one else had the same issue with their headsets?

And can someone link me a good replacement headset? I don't want to loose any more riding time before the season is over.

Yeah I've had integrated headset problems. The original Acros lasted about 6 months. Swapped for a cane creek and that lasted about 3 uplift days, as did a second cane creek. Went back to Acros and so far ok after 2 months, but ive been really careful with keeping it tightened up correctly and well greased. If this one goes i have a Hope in the spares drawer.
Personally i think it might be something to do with the tolerances on the fully integrated headsets. I'd be happier with semi-integrated ZS headsets.
Never had problems before with headsets on previous bikes.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 15:29 Quote
The Acros on mine was terrible, lasted about 3 weeks. I put an Fsa in.

Posted: Sep 9, 2017 at 9:12 Quote
Took the headset bearings out again, the bottom one had some play again when the fork was in the frame, but the bearing itself was fine, so this does look like a tolerance issue. I think the combined thickness of the bottom bearing and the crown race is a factor i.e. they need to be slightly thicker than the CC and Acros ones ive been using. Got the spare Hope bearing/race out and it does look like it might be thicker, so thats gone on the bike and i'll be giving it a workout on Monday if i dont get rained off in Wales Confused

Posted: Sep 9, 2017 at 9:16 Quote
dlgis wrote:
Took the headset bearings out again, the bottom one had some play again when the fork was in the frame, but the bearing itself was fine, so this does look like a tolerance issue. I think the combined thickness of the bottom bearing and the crown race is a factor i.e. they need to be slightly thicker than the CC and Acros ones ive been using. Got the spare Hope bearing/race out and it does look like it might be thicker, so thats gone on the bike and i'll be giving it a workout on Monday if i dont get rained off in Wales Confused
i have a tolerance issue with the upper cup of the headset. The upper bearing moving in the frame, despite being the correct size confirmed by YT. I ended up creating a 0.1mm shim of aluminium and placing it around the headset bearing to make the front end solid. No headset play anymore.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 1:20 Quote
Check the headtube itself. When I had this issue it turned out the entire headtube had ovalised, which in carbon is something you want to know about early.

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 7:28 Quote
I know this has been asked a 1000 times but here goes again. CAPRA SIZING! Sorry.

At 176cm with 32 in seam just wondering if anyone out there has rode a medium and a large? Just wondering what to get? Ive just sat on my mates new XL and I thought it would feel like a train but funny enough it didnt! Very confused with sizing. Thanks.

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 12:23 Quote
wordy1979 wrote:
I know this has been asked a 1000 times but here goes again. CAPRA SIZING! Sorry.

At 176cm with 32 in seam just wondering if anyone out there has rode a medium and a large? Just wondering what to get? Ive just sat on my mates new XL and I thought it would feel like a train but funny enough it didnt! Very confused with sizing. Thanks.

With 176cm I would think you would struggle with the 150 dropper on large.

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 12:30 Quote
Ferisko wrote:
wordy1979 wrote:

With 176cm I would think you would struggle with the 150 dropper on large.

I'm on a medium size Patrol at present with a 170mm dropper post as I couldn't get the height right.

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 13:22 Quote
I checked the medium patrol and it has a very short 419mm seat tube. Large Capra has for it's length rather tall 480mm seat tube. Maybe you got long legs or ride your seat "high", but I'm 182cm and with the stock 150mm reverb I barely had 5mm to spare between seat clamp and reverb collar.

Posted: Sep 10, 2017 at 13:29 Quote
Ferisko wrote:
I checked the medium patrol and it has a very short 419mm seat tube. Large Capra has for it's length rather tall 480mm seat tube. Maybe you got long legs or ride your seat "high", but I'm 182cm and with the stock 150mm reverb I barely had 5mm to spare between seat clamp and reverb collar.

So you think a medium would suit me better??

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 at 17:39 Quote
I am changing out my drivetrain on the capra from Sram to Shimano and got everything I need to do it but am very wary of the cable routing for the derailleur. The shimano lever doesnt have the housing so I was just going to put it through the old sram housing which actually is pretty new. Are there any tips or things I should be aware of? I really don't want to take it to the LBS for this, its pretty simple besides my fear of cable routing through the old housing. Please help guys!!!!

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2017 at 22:17 Quote
I just installed the Cane Creek 40 in last night to replace the Acros headset. It seems to fit just fine but also thought it might be a 0.05mm in diameter to small. Hope it lasts longer and at least the bearings are easy to find online and replace.

I looked at Hope headsets as well but didn't see any that would fit. Which one did you pick up?

dlgis wrote:

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019740
Mobile Version of Website