The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 13:49 Quote
chrysanthos wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:
Anybody know what the Stock Bontrager Line 30 Comp Wheels weigh that come with the 2020 Slash 8?
Thinking of changing out the wheelset for something lighter

co-sign. Need something lighter and stiffer (DT Swiss EX511), still debating on whether to keep current rims.
I ll keep the hubs, did the rapid driver upgrade on the rear, they work just fine.

The DT Swiss EX 511 29 rim is 570g vs the stock Comp rim at 502g. These are the weights of bare rims. Stock Comp hub is a competitive 288g with free hub.

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 1:52 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:
Anybody know what the Stock Bontrager Line 30 Comp Wheels weigh that come with the 2020 Slash 8?

co-sign. Need something lighter and stiffer (DT Swiss EX511), still debating on whether to keep current rims.
I ll keep the hubs, did the rapid driver upgrade on the rear, they work just fine.

The DT Swiss EX 511 29 rim is 570g vs the stock Comp rim at 502g. These are the weights of bare rims. Stock Comp hub is a competitive 288g with free hub.

All that actually makes it sound like the wheelset ist actually pretty good. At least in the weight department.
Durabilitywise I havent had any issues in those 600-700km ive done with the bike since I got it.
Anybody know anything else about the rims?

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:

You know, I didn't account for the J Bend spoke vs the straight pull spoke in my analysis.

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
luckyguy19 wrote:
chrysanthos wrote:

You know, I didn't account for the J Bend spoke vs the straight pull spoke in my analysis.
The bonti wheel sets are very competitive weights, many other options you’ll be adding weight unless you had roval
Bonti hubs equal to dtswiss and bombproof I’ve found
Warranty on bonti always been good, smashed the line pro carbons and replaced free of charge with a full wheel replacement. Off topic both times Carbon fail with inserts cushcore & FlatTireDefender I now run without inserts as others found the same issue.

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
[Quote="nouseforaname"]
chrysanthos wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:

About 2100g, most of which is in the hubs, as the Line Elites use the same rim and are 1800g, and that makes the Line Carbon wheels that they're speccing on their higher end slashes right around 1900g which is kind of bullshit.

Most of that weight is all in the spokes and nipples. Line Comp and Elite share the same rim. But different Hubs, which is only a few grams difference last time I measured them. The spokes and nipples are a huge change to Nail head 14/15G spokes with Alpina alloy locking nipples

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
Are the wheels still 28H? I blew up the rear Comp 30 on my Slash 9.7 within a very short amount of time. And finding a quality 28H to lace it to was the chore. I thought DT's XM481 was available in that drilling but I could be wrong. I was looking for 30mm inside width.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 19:39 Quote
Yes they're still 28h

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 5:59 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
Are the wheels still 28H? I blew up the rear Comp 30 on my Slash 9.7 within a very short amount of time. And finding a quality 28H to lace it to was the chore. I thought DT's XM481 was available in that drilling but I could be wrong. I was looking for 30mm inside width.

Get the Line carbon rim now with lifetime warranty.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
Does the warranty apply if you build your own wheel? Hadn't thought of that configuration when the warranty program was announced. I had the Line Pro *wheelset* and had to utilize the warranty program but I imagine building up a rim might not be covered.

FWIW I have been on Synthesis wheels since summer '18 and have had no problems with them, whereas I cracked a set of Line Pro 40s in three rides. YMMV.

MrDiamondDave wrote:
sngltrkmnd wrote:

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 19:24 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
Does the warranty apply if you build your own wheel? Hadn't thought of that configuration when the warranty program was announced. I had the Line Pro *wheelset* and had to utilize the warranty program but I imagine building up a rim might not be covered.

FWIW I have been on Synthesis wheels since summer '18 and have had no problems with them, whereas I cracked a set of Line Pro 40s in three rides. YMMV.

MrDiamondDave wrote:
sngltrkmnd wrote:

It should be covered. I don't see why not

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
Coverage is wheel sets or rims.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 1:52 Quote
Hi I’ve just had my front Bontrager line carbon 30 rim replaced after it cracked on my slash 9.8. It’s only 3 months old. 2019 model. Trek have replaced it with a Bontrager line pro 30 wheel. Can anyone clear up for me if they are the same wheel or what the difference is between.

Thanks

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
plumberbob wrote:
Hi I’ve just had my front Bontrager line carbon 30 rim replaced after it cracked on my slash 9.8. It’s only 3 months old. 2019 model. Trek have replaced it with a Bontrager line pro 30 wheel. Can anyone clear up for me if they are the same wheel or what the difference is between.

Thanks

I believe it is the same rim but with a better hub.

The Zenki guy should be able to confirm this

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
plumberbob wrote:

Thanks

I believe it is the same rim but with a better hub.

The Zenki guy should be able to confirm this

Yep, congrats on the upgrade. Line Pro 30 is same rim, but upgraded hub and spokes. Considerably lighter than the Carbon 30 wheel, and a much faster hub.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
New race machine finally showed up! 2020 XT 12 speed, first carbon frame and wheels, XL, and the gorgeous purple phase! Super pumped!

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011471
Mobile Version of Website