Best dropper (quality not price)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best dropper (quality not price)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 7, 2017 at 7:49 Quote
Hey Pb folk,

I ride a santa cruz 5010 C and recently switched to platform pedals from my crank brothers mallets ( i lost my clipless shoes and desperately wanted to ride that day). I have already replaced the sektor garbage for a pike.

Anyways, now that I am no longer restrained to my bike (which contributed to over the handle bards in moab so many times), I would like to take advantage of the new tech.

I have put off buying a post on the desire to avoid another component that needs servicing and consideration, but I have finally finished school and can justify proper maintenance. That being said, I don't want the thing to bum out after the recommended service time of 50 hours of riding and desperately need to be tuned. (Is it hard to do it yourself?)

Easton have seems to be the most expensive, is it the best one? Does a quality one cost of $350?

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
9point8 and Fox transfer appear to be currently at the top of the dropper post food chain.

Raceface/easton license the 9point8 technology, but their reliability has been questionable - whereas the 9point8 product has been very good

Lots of people use KS and rockshox - lots of positive and negative stuff with them. I hated the 2 hydraulic actuated rockshox reverb I had, but really like the cable actuated KS and 9point8 product.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 9:24 Quote
onemind123:

I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

However, I have heard that the fox transfer is really fragile (https://www.backcountry.com/fox-racing-shox-transfer-performance-series-dropper-seatpost-internal-routing)
The reviews describe the post breaking during installation. Were they perhaps too aggressive with installation or maybe the posts were duds?

I also read on a another site, that the fox transfer is really vulnerable to getting dirt caked into and impeding performance.

I will look into the 9point8.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2017 at 9:28 Quote
The new DVO Garnet Dropper seems to be quite nice, I just put one on my Patrol and it has been excellent. I believe it comes with a 2 year warranty as well.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 10:40 Quote
Thomson dropper (updated with Wolftooth lever)..
got it november 2013,still running strong

O+ FL
Posted: May 10, 2017 at 11:44 Quote
Thomson and the top spec Fox Transfer.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 12:26 Quote
iv had 2 ks. one good ( icuz 27.2) one bad (dropzone 31.6)
my reverb is expensive high maintenance but hasnt let me down. but deffo needs regular tlc keeping on top of and isnt smooth compared to the ks or fox even after a service.
just got a fox transfer as the guys at the local service centre say they never get any problems with them and the ones that come in for service are obviously well used but still in excellent condition inside. a reverb could never last that long.
nothing on the fox that looks weak to me. have to be a idiot to wreck one on install.
everyone in uk and from what i hear says the fox is the most reliable.
Thompson are expensive, none serviceable so have to be sent away for weeks on end a small fortune so i never saw the point as the reverb is at least a easy fix local. thompson have a average dropper rep anyway.
thats my 2p

O+ FL
Posted: May 10, 2017 at 12:38 Quote
I have a KS Lev 150mm external routing on mySanta Cruz Heckler and a KS LEV Integra 125mm on my Scott Spark. Nothing flashy but they work when they need to and you can put them in any length . The only thing to upgrade is the Lever. Got each one used on Pinkbike for $200. Great price, easy to install, and work great.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 13:12 Quote
Imma go out on a limb and say the 2017 reverb.

We haven't seen any bs with this model in the shop since it was launched.

However. You could also check out the Swiss company yep.

They run lower pressure and still very fast, and its easy to service.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 21:34 Quote
New Reverbs and Transfers have been rock solid thus far. Installation on the RF/Easton/9point8 posts is enraging.

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 0:57 Quote
http://m.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Dropper-Posts,1762

O+
Posted: May 11, 2017 at 1:21 Quote
+1 on the Yep Uptimizer 2.0

I'm a 220lb fully kittet rider on an AM hardtail and I use the Yep dropper. Your typical handbuilt swiss quality that handles my trail abuse.
This thing just works but I have checked out the "how to service" and it looks super simple to service.
Dead easy install and the joystick remote works superb.

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 1:46 Quote
Second the YEP Uptimizer,

I have 2 of them, 125 mm is close to 3 years old and a new 155 mm.
Both works flawlessly. Swiss quality product.
I have done a service on the old one after almost 3 years of abuse, it took me 30 min. I did not even check the pressure and it just kept working. Absolutely brilliant piece of engineering.
The owner of YEP is Andrea Chiesa a former Formula One racer, super nice and helpful bloke, direct, reply to emails in hours. Really puts the effort in customer satisfaction.
There are millions of options nowadays and I know I am going to make mistake not trying different products but I will stick to YEP that is for sure.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2017 at 7:13 Quote
9 point 8 all the way

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
https://www.bikeyoke.de/

Bikeyoke dropper - It got best in test from Vital MTB recently

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012185
Mobile Version of Website