Help a Privateer

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 14:02 Quote
Hi there, i am David Pinto and I decided a long time ago that the thing i would do for a living, was and is going to be Mountainbiking, how ever, it is not quite easy to make that dream come true, some profesionals even started as Privateers, they gave everything and eventually it payd off, right ?

well i am not so sure if it was that "easy sayd" it is a brave move as we all know. and along their way they got a lot of help from both friends and companies.

The thought behind this thread is to help people who want to be a privatee, to give tips and advices when a Privateer has questions or doubts, but also, it is there to privateers to help out weekend warriors on maybe some things they might not be sure about, or people who are considering to become a privateer.

ofcorse privateers are welcomed to help each other out. this is a fair play zone !
please keep in mind that we all are trying to live a dream ,wetherit is to be stronger, or the best, be a pro, or help others. we all have our dreams and just as so, we are equally rightfull to state that we are worthy enough to live the dream.

to start it off, i will go with my personal question:

Wich bike do you recomend for a privateer ?
it should be a bike that doesnt need much atention

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 14:24 Quote
You really can't go wrong with bikes these days! But it depends on what type of riding the 'privateer' does. Xc, enduro, dh, etc. after we know that, then bikes can get recommended. But as I said, bikes have become so damn good the last couple years, you really can't go wrong (especially if you're a privateer and don't have the luxury to pick and choose)

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 14:41 Quote
Honestly, whatever bike compensates for your struggles as a rider. If you're racing enduro, and aren't the best at pumping, pick something that has supportive suspension. If you're great at pumping but struggle in the gnarly stuff, pick something that's well-suspended ('18 Nomad comes to mind). I'd also suggest that you make as few compromises as possible given your budget. Spend as much as you can. If you were going into battle, risking your life, you'd surely pick the best weapons and armor available to you. The racetrack is your battlefield. Get the best weapon you can.

I'd also say that your need to pick a bike that you can work on. Sure, you want one that "doesn't need much attention". But realistically, if you're going to compete as a privateer, you're going to be riding at least 100 mile weeks every week for most of the year, and that probably means regular drivetrain maintenance. You're also going to be pushing your limits every day, on every ride, on every corner; when you crash, things break. So whether or not you have a no-fuss frame, you're going to be working on it so often that unless you've got a hookup with a mechanic, you'll need to do the work yourself to offset the cost. Obviously, that means that you need to have a balance between the bike you ride and your set of tools. I'd look for a frame with mostly external cables (or easy to route internally), brakes with DOT fluid (love shimano but their mineral oil is expensive), that has *zero* proprietary parts (nothing like a 5 week lead time on parts from Cannondale...), and that comes with a crash replacement program.

But seriously, this is kind of like asking which shoes are best for professional runners: they need to fit, they need to last, and you need something that's as close to your version of perfect as you can make it.

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 14:45 Quote
I would try different bikes and pick the one I felt confident on and the one where I was getting the best times on the trail, if it was for racing.

I don't think the brand really matters too much when it comes to quality if you want an aluminium frame, it probably does for carbon. Some brands have specific geometry traits like long top tubes or short chain stays or low bottom brackets etc... You may know if any of these things is what you like before you test.

I would also consider how easy it is to identify and locate spare parts for the bike I liked. Unfortunately all bikes will need continuous attention!

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 14:49 Quote
I have not raced ever. But I wrench a lot.

I have to say that Transition and Banshee bikes are really easy to work on. From BB replacements to frame bearing replacements.

Frame specs are pretty "standard" Like threaded BB, 142 rear axles, 31.6 seat tube. ETC.

Transition & giant, & others, use internal brake routing which can be very difficult if you don't have some bleeding prowess or tools. Shimano brakes are easier to deal with in that regard.

I wasn't a huge fan of giant because of the frame pivots getting grindy quickly, press fit BB creaking, rear axle clearance when removing, and internal brake routing.

Giant debatably offers some of the best value per dollar for part specs, so does Commencal.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 21:39 Quote
For enduro Orange alpine6 single pivot so easy to change bearings and it's aluminum so it won't crack as easy as carbon

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 22:27 Quote
tobb wrote:
For enduro Orange alpine6 single pivot so easy to change bearings and it's aluminum so it won't crack as easy as carbon

For some this point might seem pointless....but if you intend to ride a lot, you will have to swap out bearings..doing that on say a specialized Enduro is a huge PITA. Definitely worth considering or budgeting for frame maintenance.

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
I love your comment!
zsandstrom wrote:
Honestly, whatever bike compensates for your struggles as a rider. If you're racing enduro, and aren't the best at pumping, pick something that has supportive suspension. If you're great at pumping but struggle in the gnarly stuff, pick something that's well-suspended ('18 Nomad comes to mind). I'd also suggest that you make as few compromises as possible given your budget. Spend as much as you can. If you were going into battle, risking your life, you'd surely pick the best weapons and armor available to you. The racetrack is your battlefield. Get the best weapon you can.

I'd also say that your need to pick a bike that you can work on. Sure, you want one that "doesn't need much attention". But realistically, if you're going to compete as a privateer, you're going to be riding at least 100 mile weeks every week for most of the year, and that probably means regular drivetrain maintenance. You're also going to be pushing your limits every day, on every ride, on every corner; when you crash, things break. So whether or not you have a no-fuss frame, you're going to be working on it so often that unless you've got a hookup with a mechanic, you'll need to do the work yourself to offset the cost. Obviously, that means that you need to have a balance between the bike you ride and your set of tools. I'd look for a frame with mostly external cables (or easy to route internally), brakes with DOT fluid (love shimano but their mineral oil is expensive), that has *zero* proprietary parts (nothing like a 5 week lead time on parts from Cannondale...), and that comes with a crash replacement program.

But seriously, this is kind of like asking which shoes are best for professional runners: they need to fit, they need to last, and you need something that's as close to your version of perfect as you can make it.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 3:34 Quote
hey, guys, I've been thinking about changing tires, I have a 30mm inner width at the rear and a normal 25mm in the front,

I thought that the continental mountain king in the back is great option for enduro combined with Der Kaiser at the front

any opinions?

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 at 9:01 Quote
davidpr2 wrote:
hey, guys, I've been thinking about changing tires, I have a 30mm inner width at the rear and a normal 25mm in the front,

I thought that the continental mountain king in the back is great option for enduro combined with Der Kaiser at the front

any opinions?

Did you try these tyres? I was thinking about this combo myself.

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 at 15:07 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
davidpr2 wrote:

any opinions?

Did you try these tires? I was thinking about this combo myself.

Yes i did, i ran that combo for 1,5 seasons until i blew and destroyed the mountain king while training ( it was super worn out since i rode it non stop for 1,5 seasons which is around 500 km

the combination was greate but i had a feeling that the Kaiser was too narrow in the front, since my rim was 25mm wide upfront...non the less it was an amazing tire to have it in the front, super grippy and confidence inspiring, confidence that wasn't false either, i cut the middle part a little bit to have less resistance while climbing and reaching my top speed where my bike gets more like a burden due to role resistance in ratio to my weight...

I changed the front to a baron and i am having the kaiser on the rear, its a dream for this time of the season,

FL
Posted: Dec 28, 2017 at 19:15 Quote
if I was going to make it out as a privateer looking to succeed (I assume you'll be traveling, short on money, riding tough courses, training a lot, and potentialy crashing big) I'd look for a bike with a bomber warranty policy.
You can't miss two months of racing waiting for a warrantied frame, nor blow your budget getting a new one to keep going.
So, a bike from a manufacturer with good reputation for both making solid bikes, and having a trustworthy warranty.

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 0:06 Quote
ismasan wrote:
if I was going to make it out as a privateer looking to succeed (I assume you'll be traveling, short on money, riding tough courses, training a lot, and potentialy crashing big) I'd look for a bike with a bomber warranty policy.
You can't miss two months of racing waiting for a warrantied frame, nor blow your budget getting a new one to keep going.
So, a bike from a manufacturer with good reputation for both making solid bikes, and having a trustworthy warranty.

I agree, but it shouldn't last long until you're sponsored. At least in a grassroots level.

but yes, yeah, no worries about that, I have that fixed up for my self Smile

It was 6 months of preparation and headaches, but I am getting sponsored for 2018

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 12:54 Quote
I live in the PNW and the Der Kaiser has proven itself to be a solid performer year round. I run it up front with a DHR II out back, love it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012849
Mobile Version of Website