Santa Cruz Megatower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz Megatower
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
I used a healthy portion of blue loctite and my flip chip grub screw has been ok. I didn’t know there was a skinnier one out, but I definitely know my tallboy doesn’t have the same issue so something must have changed.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
I spent some time today sanding down my flip chip. Hit it with some 2000 grit sandpaper, remove 0.5mm of material, no more rattle.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 20:30 Quote
Man, from the sounds of it I’m glad I like the short chainstay setting and haven’t had to switch it.

On the other hand, what have you guys noticed in difference when switching to the long setting? I typically run my shock in the low setting and only switch to high when I’m doing bigger 20+ mile rides

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 21:50 Quote
605endurbro wrote:
Man, from the sounds of it I’m glad I like the short chainstay setting and haven’t had to switch it.

On the other hand, what have you guys noticed in difference when switching to the long setting? I typically run my shock in the low setting and only switch to high when I’m doing bigger 20+ mile rides

Better stability when going through fast chunky sections and only noticed it being a tiny bit harder pitching the bike into switchbacks. Long mode is the way to go if you ride hard

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 22:44 Quote
codahale wrote:
I spent some time today sanding down my flip chip. Hit it with some 2000 grit sandpaper, remove 0.5mm of material, no more rattle.

Sanding it down? Have you got a photo of it? Is this a common problem with the Megatower?

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 1:54 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
codahale wrote:

Sanding it down? Have you got a photo of it? Is this a common problem with the Megatower?

Super common problem. It isn’t a structural issue, it is just annoying.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 4:53 Quote
sharpy182 wrote:
codahale wrote:

The common problem is that the chip is just a little bit too wide, so the hub end cap ends up resting on the chip, not the chainstay, so the chip rattles in the chainstay as the rear wheel is loaded (and your rear brake squeals b/c the rotor is very sightly wobbly). If you sand down the inside part of the chip so that it’s flush with the chainstay, the hub end cap rests on the chainstay and the chip is secured in the chainstay by the thru-axle’s clamping load and not the grub screw.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
Or just get the slimmer chip.
So do you not fasten the grin screw given what your saying codahale?

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 11:17 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Or just get the slimmer chip.
So do you not fasten the grin screw given what your saying codahale?

Getting the slimmer chip would be best, but it’s not always an option for folks. Shipping and inventories are all pretty blown up right now. Personally, I didn’t want to spend two weeks with my rear wheel loosening up in the middle of rides.

And I do tighten the grub screw, I’m just saying it’s only there to keep the chip from popping out when you take the axle off, not to keep the chip from rattling.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
Ah ok fair enough

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 13:40 Quote
I made a video explaining the issue here: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/520008/

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 8:32 Quote
codahale wrote:
I made a video explaining the issue here: https://www.pinkbike.com/video/520008/

Appreciate you take the time to do that, explain it well.thanks

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
not sure if it has been stated here as comparison...
question: how much of a difference does the 170mm fork make in terms of climbing and descending? I ride more bikepark than tour but don't want to sacrifice the good uphill performance of the megatower nevertheless.
I ride HI with air shock and 3 volumes spacers and love the versatility this setup gives me, even on steeper DH tracks.
thx for your answer...
and if going 170mm is it worth to go for the 38 or is it overkill for me as a 77kg/170lbs ish guy

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
question: how much of a difference does the 170mm fork make in terms of climbing and descending? I ride more bikepark than tour but don't want to sacrifice the good uphill performance of the megatower nevertheless.
I ride HI with air shock and 3 volumes spacers and love the versatility this setup gives me, even on steeper DH tracks.
thx for your answer...
and if going 170mm is it worth to go for the 38 or is it overkill for me as a 77kg/170lbs ish guy

You can always go for thew 170mm shaft on your 36 and take one spacer from under the stem so that you dont loose grip in the front end. You could then try flipping the chip to LO possition and I´m pretty sure you´ll love it. I am running mine like that and it peddals pretty well, even though I use DD or DH tires

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 19:59 Quote
Fufi7 wrote:
thx for your answer...

I just threw a 170 airshaft in my 36 a few weeks ago and I really didn't notice much of a difference on the climbs. On the descents I felt that front end traction was slightly better and the front end was just slightly more supple because of the extra 10mm.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014193
Mobile Version of Website