Ripmo AF Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
Ripmo AF Thread
Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 21:39 Quote
Yeah not a Ripmo af but i got rid of my mojo 3 a year on as pedal bashing rocks and short tt/reach is not cool nor inspiring a ride

Wish i kept it now as my only fully in the fleet as running ht now

Pedalled amazing tho mind best ive ever tried even with crappy plus NNs

Lost a heap and I mean a heap of money on that my most expensive shop purchased bike to date

It seems that the industry, and ibis are not the only ones guilty of this just simply do not properly prototype and long term before releasing new models

It’s almost as if they also forget to do ghings and create changes that would benefit the rider’s experience

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 23:42 Quote
I've had the Ripmo AF for a couple of months now and love it. The weird thing is, I puncture a hell of a lot now, having gone years without a puncture on my Nukeproof 290 and Merida 160 before that.

It may be down to one or more of the following reasons, but I was wondering whether anyone else was experiencing something similar;

1) I'm hitting things harder at the same tyre pressure as before. I am going faster no doubt. This bike simply encourages faster speeds.
2) I changed from Stans Flows MK3 to DT Swiss EX511. Profile of the rim cutting tyres?
3) Coincidence and just bad luck - you wait for one bus and 3 come along at once and all that.

Anyway, the Ripmo AF is going to go down as a classic for sure. The one thing they could tidy up on is giving it a proper chainstay protector like those seen on the Enduro/Megatower/Ransom as my ziptied old tyre looks a bit funky

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 23:57 Quote
dubod22,

All three theories are plausible.

1. When I think back a couple of bikes ago, I was using tiny tires with fragile casings - and tubes! - at about the same pressure I currently use. On my current bike, I would probably flat that old set-up a dozen times per ride.

2. Not sure if the DT has a more harsh profile, but the Flow MK3 is probably less stiff in the radial direction, which could soften an impact.

3. Can't rule it out.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 0:17 Quote
what's the feedback on the Ripmo AF so far? I'm looking at replacing my Trek Slash, am after something similar but a bit more poppy.

Is the bike just a bulldozer or can it be playful?

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
dirtrider121 wrote:
what's the feedback on the Ripmo AF so far? I'm looking at replacing my Trek Slash, am after something similar but a bit more poppy.

Pinkbike’s RC did a youtube review ride of it vs a canyon

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
dubod22 wrote:
I've had the Ripmo AF for a couple of months now and love it. The weird thing is, I puncture a hell of a lot now, having gone years without a puncture on my Nukeproof 290 and Merida 160 before that.

It may be down to one or more of the following reasons, but I was wondering whether anyone else was experiencing something similar;

1) I'm hitting things harder at the same tyre pressure as before. I am going faster no doubt. This bike simply encourages faster speeds.
2) I changed from Stans Flows MK3 to DT Swiss EX511. Profile of the rim cutting tyres?
3) Coincidence and just bad luck - you wait for one bus and 3 come along at once and all that.

Anyway, the Ripmo AF is going to go down as a classic for sure. The one thing they could tidy up on is giving it a proper chainstay protector like those seen on the Enduro/Megatower/Ransom as my ziptied old tyre looks a bit funky

All 3 scenarios are plausible. Depends on the tires too. I kept the assegai as the front tire and replaced the rear assegai with a dhr II exo + tr . On the stock ibis rims(best wheelset for that price that you can buy) im running tubeless off course and running 19 psi on the front and 20 on the rear. Pretty rocky trails here in Greece and need that extra traction. No problems so far.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:

Yeah I saw that, good review but doesn't really answer what I'm after though

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
dirtrider121 wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:

So my anwser to help you out since i have the bike for a month now. I was a dh racer and i wanted a bike that will short of replace the dh bike and do pretty much anything. So long story short, this bike can do whatever you want it to do. Its an absolut bulldozer that pedals way too good for what it is , its affordable for what it is , it has one of the best kinematics on the market , it looks better than the pictures you see online , its poppy , its fast like most 29ers are. Best bike ive ever had bar none. Just buy the god damn thing. You wont regret it.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
Hey guys!

I'm tempted to get myself a Ripmo AF and hope to get some insights here Smile
For the last 6 months my bike has been a Canyon Spectral (incidentally the very same model that RC tested the Ripmo against) and I'm getting rid of it once I get the warrantied new frame. Other than the failed rear end, I really liked it for its nimbleness and really good rear suspension (and front suspension come to think of it, those 36 Rhythm forks are surprisingly good).
Before that I had a MK1 Jeffsy 29 AL, flawed but immense fun on the trail. Both were size M, so really quite short compared with what people my size (5'10") are usually riding and shared one trait that I'm looking for: nimble, poppy machines.

During my search I've also ridden a Stumpy 29 (great but sizing was off, also the Expert is expensive) and a Trek Slash 8 (good overall but the rear suspension felt too.. mushy, sort of, also the XR4 tires were a disgrace but that'd be an easy fix).

Has anyone else ridden some of these bikes and can give some comparison? Also, if nimbleness is key, is the Ripmo AF the way to go? If so, M with a high rise bar or L and just get used to a longer bike?

My luck is I've got a set of 4p XT brakes that I'd throw on, which would get rid of the only real flaw of the bike (the NX would be sent flying once it's worn down). I mean, even the wheelset seems to be a great mix of width and weight at sub 1900g. Tires I don't know yet but as long as they're not too different from Minions, I'm all good..

If you have read everything until here, I salute your patience and thanks for anything that helps me decide!

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:

So my anwser to help you out since i have the bike for a month now. I was a dh racer and i wanted a bike that will short of replace the dh bike and do pretty much anything. So long story short, this bike can do whatever you want it to do. Its an absolut bulldozer that pedals way too good for what it is , its affordable for what it is , it has one of the best kinematics on the market , it looks better than the pictures you see online , its poppy , its fast like most 29ers are. Best bike ive ever had bar none. Just buy the god damn thing. You wont regret it.

Yeah I"m waiting to see some Podiums taken with this bike. I agree with everything you said. I actually put exo casing tires on mine and carbon handlebars and it made the bike even more playful and agile. I think if you are going to buy this bike you have to get the air shock. I don't know why people want/need a coil for this bike unless you were racing DH or EWS.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 11:18 Quote
FiLaReToS wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:
titaniumtit wrote:

Thanks for that, really helpful. I'm seriously considering it now. Looks the best value bike out there at the moment.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 21:13 Quote
dirtrider121 wrote:
FiLaReToS wrote:
dirtrider121 wrote:

I think one of the bikemag reviewers made a good point; It's not just a good value bike, because that would imply it's has limitations, it's just a good bike in general. It holds its own against superbikes two-tree times the price. The geo is modern, the dw linkage is good and the fact it's alloy means you don't have to be too precious about it. First week I had it I got a massive scratch on the top tube in a shuttle. No big deal, it's a bike.

Thanks for that, really helpful. I'm seriously considering it now. Looks the best value bike out there at the moment.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 21:23 Quote
Kmccann137 wrote:
I don't know why people want/need a coil for this bike unless you were racing DH or EWS.

A coil shock isn't very different from an air shock. It's the same damper in some cases, just with less ramp-up of the spring rate. Some air springs are quite linear, such as the Topaz, with its large negative spring, and even more so for the Super Deluxe with MegNeg.

A little less friction, a little less trouble with heat management, a modified spring curve: coil shocks offer a slightly different feel, but it doesn't radically change the character of a bike.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 6:11 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Kmccann137 wrote:
I don't know why people want/need a coil for this bike unless you were racing DH or EWS.

A coil shock isn't very different from an air shock. It's the same damper in some cases, just with less ramp-up of the spring rate. Some air springs are quite linear, such as the Topaz, with its large negative spring, and even more so for the Super Deluxe with MegNeg.

A little less friction, a little less trouble with heat management, a modified spring curve: coil shocks offer a slightly different feel, but it doesn't radically change the character of a bike.

Makes sense. This bike is basically ruining my desire to ride my DH bike this upcoming season. Weird that this bike makes me want to actually reduce the size of my quiver ha.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
To be fair, I should note that some air shocks are very different from coils. In the days of the RockShox Monarch and pre-Evol Fox, air shocks typically had less advanced dampers and crazy spring curves. Totally different feel from a coil, but because of the design of the shock, not intrinsic properties of air and coil springs.

The new air shocks are so much better that I agree with you: there's often little reason to use a coil shock. Not because we don't need the different properties of a coil, but because the properties are (sometimes) so similar.

And yes, I've found the same thing about diminished interest in DH bikes. My pedalable bike is similar to the Ripmo AF and a trail has to be pretty rowdy before the DH bike is significantly better. Both our bikes are above-average on pedaling efficiency, so the range of trails on which they're an ideal tool for the job has expanded to cover almost all terrain I would want to ride. The only downside is that less-challenging trails have become a real snooze.

Several years ago, I felt the ideal two bike quiver was an overforked trail bike and a downhill bike. Now it may be an enduro bike and a cross-country racer with a little extra capability - "downcountry", if we're going to accept the term, but racier than most of the bikes in this year's Pinkbike group test. I could - and do - live quite happily without the downcountry bike. The current jack-of-all-trades bike is nearly a master of them all!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020861
Mobile Version of Website