Can stroke length be changed on Fox DPX2?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can stroke length be changed on Fox DPX2?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 31, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
I know that w/ Rockshox Super Deluxe many stroke lengths use the same pistons (shafts? Sorry I don't know the nomenclature), and then add plastic spacers to shorten travel. These spacers can also be cut out to increase stroke/travel.

For instance the Super Deluxe 210mm x 55/52.5/50 are all the same shock, shorter lengths created by plastic spacers than can easily be accessed and cut out to make 55mm.

Does the same hold true for the Fox DPX2 shocks? I see on Fox's website that stroke length spacers are available in 2.5 and 5mm. Is the set up similar to Rockshox? If so can Fox DPX2 stroke length spacers be cut out or removed easily by a home mechanic to get longer travel?

I'm hunting around for a bargain on a 210 x 55 factory DPX2 shock, and it would be great to be able to to buy a 52.5 or 50 and convert it if not too involved mechanically. That would really open up the market.

Thanks!

FL
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
Did you find out the answer mate? I'm looking into the same thing for a 2020 Fox DPX2. Wondering if I buy a 210x50 if I can take a spacer out and make it 210x55

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
I’m wanting to do the same as above, need a 210x55 but only 210x50 seem to be available second hand haha

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 7:03 Quote
It can be done. You need to take the damper to bits to do it though so would have to be done by a service centre

O+
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 21:29 Quote
The spacers can't be cut out easily in my opinion. The only way to get is off is to completely disassemble the shock as they are rings dropped on the shaft inside the shock.

FL
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 21:48 Quote
Thanks everyone.
I got a response back from a local Fox service center here in Aus and they confirmed the same thing: Yes, you can remove the spacer from any 210x50 DPX2 to make it a 210x55. However, the process in removing the spacer does require a rebuild, as it is on the damper shaft.

So, I probably won't bother and just save the $$ for 2021 DPX2 in the right configuration from the start

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
I took a pair of dikes and cut the spacer off very easily

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
Apmx121 wrote:

Clarifying this was on a DPX2

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
eplanajr wrote:
Apmx121 wrote:

Clarifying this was on a DPX2

Hi , I want to do the same , is it the "top out" spacer? https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=854

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
Yes, super easy to cut with dikes. Just be careful not to scratch the shaft!

Posted: Aug 11, 2020 at 7:33 Quote
Mixed messages!

Am I reading right that you need to disassemble the damper to get at the travel spacer, but once you do that the spacer is easy to cut off?

Or is it that to slide off the travel spacer intact, you need to disassemble the damper? But if you are cutting out the spacer with dykes (Dremel, etc), then you don't need to take the damper apart, just be careful not to gouge the shaft (har har) in the process?

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 14:24 Quote
hankj wrote:
Mixed messages!

Am I reading right that you need to disassemble the damper to get at the travel spacer, but once you do that the spacer is easy to cut off?

Or is it that to slide off the travel spacer intact, you need to disassemble the damper? But if you are cutting out the spacer with dykes (Dremel, etc), then you don't need to take the damper apart, just be careful not to gouge the shaft (har har) in the process?

You only need to disassemble if you want to remove the spacer in one piece.

I would not use a Dremel...just a sharp pair of cutting pliers...and be careful not to scratch the shaft.

Posted: Jan 26, 2021 at 22:00 Quote
jaj23 wrote:
hankj wrote:
Mixed messages!

I would not use a Dremel...just a sharp pair of cutting pliers...and be careful not to scratch the shaft.

Hi, I'd like to do this but want to make sure of the location of the spacer. It's not the one before the metal washer, right? Is it behind the metal washer? See pic.
photo

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 16:47 Quote
microfiz wrote:
jaj23 wrote:
hankj wrote:
Mixed messages!

Hi, I'd like to do this but want to make sure of the location of the spacer. It's not the one before the metal washer, right? Is it behind the metal washer? See pic.
photo

Yeah that’s NOT the travel spacer. The travel spacer is aluminum and lives on the other side of that steel washer.
Be careful not to nick or scratch the shaft when you cut Wink

Posted: Feb 16, 2023 at 14:56 Quote
Anyone successfully removed the travel spacer in the end? Any pictures of the spacer before removing it?
Thank you!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014514
Mobile Version of Website