Megatower or Reign for Enduro

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Megatower or Reign for Enduro
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
Yeah, but at the end of the day it is still a Giant. Haha

Smart money is buying frame and build yourself, unless you like the build kit. I never have. I have been able to get a lot more bike for the money doing it that way.

I have not compared directly with Giant, and maybe it is diff in other countries, but when I recently looked at a Trek in the store, it was more than I paid for my bike and it was aluminum, and did not have as good of stuff on it and the carbon was no better.

Personally, regardless of the bike brand, if you don't get what you want now, you will eventually and it will just cost you more when you finally do. Life is short.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 16:47 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Yeah, but at the end of the day it is still a Giant.

I don't think that's a bad thing. The existence of cheap bikes in their product line doesn't preclude the high-end products from being good.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
Meh, I never have liked anything about the brand, just always liked the smaller brands. Liked it better when SC was considered boutique and built in the US. Was pissed when I found out they were not, till I got back at it and realized how true to their core they have stayed. Resale here sucks on Giant. Just not a fan.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 17:13 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Meh, I never have liked anything about the brand, just always liked the smaller brands. Liked it better when SC was considered boutique and built in the US. Was pissed when I found out they were not, till I got back at it and realized how true to their core they have stayed. Resale here sucks on Giant. Just not a fan.

We're all entitled to our personal preferences, but it's not fair to Giant to speak ill of the quality or performance of the bikes or to recommend against them to someone who may not share your views. Some of their bikes perform very well and the Reign 29 has particularly good geometry and kinematics; it's worth checking out for someone on a budget that would be stretched thin by a Santa Cruz.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 17:24 Quote
It's silly to say that Giants bikes won't hold up over time. I see plenty of giant glories with 5+ years of bike park and downhill beating on them that are still in great condition

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
Never have liked their susp, nor Specialized. I did not say anything about their quality. There are plenty here spewing nonsense on both sides. What I read here often is that SC is high cost because it is SC. I have found that to not be the case. Lifetime warranty and free bearings for life is a bonus. Add in great resale and they are tough to beat between these two. There is a reason the Mega is this guys dream bike...

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 17:37 Quote
gmoss,

Suspension: I've mentioned the 2020 Reign 29 specifically because the kinematics are significantly different from prior models. You probably wouldn't like the v1 Nomad kinematics, either - at least, I hope not, as they were some of the worst around! - but Santa Cruz got it together and the new bikes are great. Give Giant the same chance.

Relsale: Resale on bikes is always terrible. Better to save a grand up front and get a few hundred less on the sale in several years.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 20:13 Quote
I would say you get what ever fits your riding. If this were me, I would have to get the Megatower because it is bigger it would handle better on the downhill. (for me) They are both great bikes and they would both be really fun to ride. Although at the end of the day get what ever you perfer.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 20:24 Quote
never ridden wither, but the mega tower looks, and sounds sooo sick

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
shred14 wrote:
I would say you get what ever fits your riding. If this were me, I would have to get the Megatower because it is bigger it would handle better on the downhill. (for me) They are both great bikes and they would both be really fun to ride. Although at the end of the day get what ever you perfer.

If you look at original post, OP is tight on money and Reign 1 alu is 3000 EUR cheaper that Megatower with comparable build kit. I would dare to say that he would get excellent bike in both cases, if he is willing to pay that extra thousands of $$$ for minimal difference in real riding and of course (to some posters here) VERY important label on frame its up to him.
Resale value after few years is shit in all cases, no point in looking at that. Giant also have lifetime warranty on frame for 1st owner.

For that price difference he can buy one quality spare bike or bike for his lady Big Grin

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
rahrider wrote:
sitkadog wrote:
rahrider wrote:
Haven't ridden the reign. The megatower is an amazing bike imo. It doesn't feel as big as it is and I wouldn't mind riding it all day. Pedalling is amazing. My wife has been riding santacruz for 20 years and has never had a single problem with any of her frames. They even give you free bearings every year. solid quality product that you can ride for years.

I have never heard that said about any giant.

My 2 cents

I’d never pay an extra $2k for free bearings. A full kit for a reign is like $80. Had a few giants, they were great. would never pay the premium for the Santa Cruz name.

It's not about the free bearings. It's the fact that when you have a Santa Cruz, it will ride as well after four years of riding it hard as it did when you bought it. The free bearings are more a symbol of their premium quality and standing behind it. SC bikes are known to be quiet, smooth and durable - I have lots of experience with them and believe the hype; you may not. You can enjoy your giant, I will enjoy my overpriced bike and I'm ok with that. This guy has a dream bike and a giant to pick between. I know what it's like to pass on your dream bike. The one you get instead rides fine but it just doesn't make you happy like your dream bike would. I say make yourself happy.

I also happen to live in BC which means I ride everyday where others save up to go for a 2 week dream vacation. What I save on travel, I can spend on bikes.

My 2017 Reign SX is quiet as the day I bought it. All original bearings. Used for everything from XC type rides to muddy days at the bike park. It’s been so reliable and low maintenance it’s my main bike in the winter.

Would I have bought the Nomad at the time? Sure, but the money I saved paid for two full season of park riding including passes, food and some of the gas too.

When the money matters, Giant is a solid choice if you don’t want to go the YT route. I’m glad I did.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
I recently was looking at similar bikes and was pretty set on a megatower. Then I found out about the 2020 Norco Sight and ordered the C.2. the difference here in AUS ended up being $2100. Only mildly annoying thing is I am still waiting on the sight and didn't race local enduro state titles or EWS qualifier because waiting on new bike. But am going to Derby and Maydena early next year which is much more affordable with the savings.

Posted: Dec 30, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
And what is your experience with a FS on the acceleration on flat for the first 5 seconds? Have you tested it? I tested a Cannondale Habit 3 29er 2020 with carbon front... But it felt like I was pulling a cow, It was exactly the same feeling with their ebike Trail Neo 2 Hard tail(but worse), for some reason it felt heavy to pedal while accelerating, I have no clue how did Cannondale manage to fault there, I never felt this issue on any other bike. And I rove BMX, HT MTB, Road Bicycles, and a Cannondale Bad Boy that had similar issue...

How is your experience with the Giant Reign 2 or 3, do you feel the heaviness on the acceleration?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012694
Mobile Version of Website