Privateer Bikes 161

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Privateer Bikes 161
Posted: Nov 20, 2023 at 21:54 Quote
JackyStyleTom wrote:
Hi guys!

I'm considering a full bearing change on my stock 141 (no issues/creaking so far but std maintenance after 2 years). I have the size/types but I was wondering which "quality" to chose. Which option did you select to replace yours? (cheapest, most expensive, privateer,...)

The total cost can be quite steep with some brands (SKF for example).
As there is no brand details for the kit sold by privateer, I do think it must be close to the cheapest option and I can save a bit in ordering them elsewhere or get higher quality bearings for the same price.

Looking at the market for something new but nothing has convinced me yet to upgrade (closest was a Madonna v3 but it's too expensive). Very pleased with the bike so far !

If you’re happy with the stock bearings, I see no reason to spend more and risk worse quality with another brand.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2023 at 2:32 Quote
JackyStyleTom wrote:
Hi guys!

I'm considering a full bearing change on my stock 141 (no issues/creaking so far but std maintenance after 2 years). I have the size/types but I was wondering which "quality" to chose. Which option did you select to replace yours? (cheapest, most expensive, privateer,...)

As there is no brand details for the kit sold by privateer, I do think it must be close to the cheapest option and I can save a bit in ordering them elsewhere or get higher quality bearings for the same price.

Looking at the market for something new but nothing has convinced me yet to upgrade (closest was a Madonna v3 but it's too expensive). Very pleased with the bike so far !

Superstar components are doing a sale on SKF bearings just now. 75% off if you spend £100+, so I got a full set of bearings for my 161 for £37! Absolute bargain!

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2023 at 2:44 Quote
JackyStyleTom wrote:
Hi guys!

Hi mate, I've replaced mine twice, both times used a kit from Kinetic for the 161/141 which is a mix of Enduro and other branded bearings, reasonably good value.

(https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/frame-pivot-bearing-kit-privateer-141-and-161.html)

I also ended up buying a bearing puller kit off Ebay specific to the bike, the main pivot bearing was an absolute nightmare to get out the first time and much easier the second time (I used grease when I refitted the bearing you see), particularly on the double bearing/drive side.

Link to tool here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133854471316?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=uxI5HsQMTTm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=WhrgGG9_QEK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Posted: Nov 21, 2023 at 5:53 Quote
jalopyj wrote:
I’m 5’8” and on a p2 141. I think it’s maybe a tad bit long for me but I mulleted the back wheel which helps me move it around.

I can imagine the P2 will be a more agile bike while P3 will really let you plow. Both will work fine but will depend on what you prioritize. I’m the interview that was linked earlier I think they mentioned they have one of their riders (Joe Connelly) whose 6’ but rides the medium and Ferg Ryan is 5’9 I think and also on a medium.

Did you do anything else other than stick a small wheel in the back? Didn’t it drop the bottom bracket too low?

Posted: Nov 21, 2023 at 6:19 Quote
jasonhardy1 wrote:
jalopyj wrote:
I’m 5’8” and on a p2 141. I think it’s maybe a tad bit long for me but I mulleted the back wheel which helps me move it around.

I can imagine the P2 will be a more agile bike while P3 will really let you plow. Both will work fine but will depend on what you prioritize. I’m the interview that was linked earlier I think they mentioned they have one of their riders (Joe Connelly) whose 6’ but rides the medium and Ferg Ryan is 5’9 I think and also on a medium.

Did you do anything else other than stick a small wheel in the back? Didn’t it drop the bottom bracket too low?

Exactly what I did with my P2 161. I've never had any issues with it being low.

Posted: Nov 21, 2023 at 21:13 Quote
JackyStyleTom wrote:
Hi guys!

I'm considering a full bearing change on my stock 141 (no issues/creaking so far but std maintenance after 2 years). I have the size/types but I was wondering which "quality" to chose. Which option did you select to replace yours?

Just changed bearings last week. A bit too soon int the bike's life IMHO, but the smaller ones were prety much done. 3300km in about 18 months in mostly dry conditions. I never jet wash my bike and rarely use water to keep it clean, mostly just a good wipe after the ride.

Anyway, I used japanese KOYO & NTN bearings sourced locally. Roadies swear by them for their wheels, supposedly they're the highest quality bearings available here. Cost me 75€ plus labor. Privateer kit is 51€+ shipping to Greece which would be just a little cheaper but the bearing quality is unspecified.

Don't know about long term, but I was shocked at the difference in traction and plushness after the change. If I was riding blindfolded I'd swear that someone swapped my shock or even the whole bike. The bike now instantly accerelates after releasing the brakes, the rear wheel just glides over everything.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 7:14 Quote
mybuddywayne wrote:
JackyStyleTom wrote:
Hi guys!

Superstar components are doing a sale on SKF bearings just now. 75% off if you spend £100+, so I got a full set of bearings for my 161 for £37! Absolute bargain!

Is there a promo code or am I too late? Not seeing the discount.

Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 8:56 Quote
Thanks for the inputs ! Very usefull Smile

I'll check for sales on reliable brands and go for Privateer's kit if nothing is close in price.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2023 at 12:45 Quote
jalopyj wrote:
mybuddywayne wrote:
JackyStyleTom wrote:
Hi guys!

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/bike-specific-bearings-by-skf.htm

Get them from this page specifically, and use the code SKFCLEARANCE

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2023 at 13:04 Quote
That's a great deal. Unfortunately they don't ship to the US. Folks should jump on this deal though!

mybuddywayne wrote:
jalopyj wrote:
mybuddywayne wrote:

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/bike-specific-bearings-by-skf.htm

Get them from this page specifically, and use the code SKFCLEARANCE

Posted: Dec 12, 2023 at 7:00 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
jasonhardy1 wrote:
jalopyj wrote:

Exactly what I did with my P2 161. I've never had any issues with it being low.

Interesting, I am 5'5 3/4" (1670mm for the engineers) and I have a P1, I feel like it it just too small and would prefer a P2...

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 11:35 Quote
Hey guys, has anyone run a Bomber CR coil on their 161? I was considering changing out from the super deluxe and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that shock on a privateer!

Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 12:38 Quote
No experience but of be surprised if the CR didn’t suit the bike, are you planning on getting one from a tuner like JTech who will set it up for you?

Also, is anyone looking forward to the Gen2 bike being released this month? I’m tempted depending on price.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2024 at 12:50 Quote
mybuddywayne wrote:
Hey guys, has anyone run a Bomber CR coil on their 161? I was considering changing out from the super deluxe and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with that shock on a privateer!

Love the SDLux Coil on my 161 and would definitely recommend it. Less clicks but more noticeable jumps in the adjustment make setup easier, and HBO is a great feature to have since the isnt overly progressive (I'm running +1 and have yet to feel any harsh bottom out). You can run into rock gardens with even more reckless abandon, which i didnt think was possible, and the traction on climbs is insane.

Posted: Feb 5, 2024 at 22:03 Quote
mybuddywayne wrote:

I have one on mine. You'll want a revalve. In stock form I've tried several different spring options from a 400lb (too easy to bottom IMO), to a Cane Creek 400-450lb or whatever progressive spring (too progressive and felt like it hit a wall halfway through the travel), to the 425lb Fox SLS spring I settled on, which is stiffer than I would like initially, but at least offers some bottoming resistance.

If I got it revalved I might be able to get by with the 400lb spring, which would be my preference given how well it ate rock gardens. Thing was like a magic carpet until I got a little airtime, after which it would blow through the stroke like nothing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012163
Mobile Version of Website