Powered by Outside

Metal wire on xt rear brake What is this?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Metal wire on xt rear brake What is this?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
Hello,
Can anyone tell me what is this wire for? See the picture please.
I recently bought this bike and don't know what it does, but have to know because I will be servicing it soon myself.
Thanks

Picture: https://postimg.cc/6448dRrR

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 14:48 Quote
It’s meant to help prevent the bolts from loosening on their own although that looks like it’s installed the wrong way round. The wire is supposed to get tighter if the bolt loosens. Just unthread it before removing the bolts. You can keep it and reinstall it after but I’ve personally never had a brake mount bolt come loose before, even without threadlock.

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 20:31 Quote
What spangoolies said. Kind of funny that they went to the trouble of safety wiring and did it backward.

As mentioned you don't need it. Blue loc tite is recommended when you reinstall the bolts. If you don't use loc tite just check them for tightness after the first few rides and occasionally for the next few weeks as they may back off just a smidge. Mine always loosen off if I don't use loc tite but I don't use a torque wrench and am probably under torquing as I'm paranoid about stripping aluminum threads

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 22:55 Quote
Never bothered with extra Shimano securing methods. As already said a mixture of thread locker and torque wrench is plenty to stop any bolt loosening.

After over tightening and cracking new carbon bars I bought a cheap Lifeline torque wrench from CRC. Favourite and most used item in my toolbox. Treat yourself friendlyfoe! Smile

Posted: Jun 25, 2020 at 23:07 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
Never bothered with extra Shimano securing methods. As already said a mixture of thread locker and torque wrench is plenty to stop any bolt loosening.

After over tightening and cracking new carbon bars I bought a cheap Lifeline torque wrench from CRC. Favourite and most used item in my toolbox. Treat yourself friendlyfoe! Smile

Lucky for me I'm too broke to buy anything that's made of carbon so for the time being a healthy supply of blue loc tite gets me by Smile

And just in case you were worried about me I've treated myself to about $6000 in bike spending this year. Not in real money though, just play Canadian dollars (so like $32 us?)

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 0:14 Quote
I only ever worry about my own finances, never anyone else's. I've not spent £/$6000 in a life time of biking but thanks for sharing!

For £25 I also don't worry or am paranoid about stripping aluminium threads. Wink

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
I just didn't want you to be worried that I wasn't spoiling myself lol. Needed a new bike this year as my 6 year old trance had done its duty. Actually went back to school in the fall but I asked visa and they said they had lots of money and were happy to lend me some.

That's also only about 3500 in your money. You'd be hard pressed to find a full suspension worthy of jumps and drops for much less than that over here. The only two that come to mind are ripmo AF or another trance. Things start to add up pretty quick. Torque wrench would be great but it's at the end of a long list of things I still need.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
Lol! Smile Cool friendlyfoe. Smile Nice of Visa to give you money to feed your passion for jumps and drops. My wheels are mostly on the ground and I'm on a hardtail which keeps the budget down. Me and Visa aren't friends anymore! Frown

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
Its called safety wire, and used in many disciplines, racing as well as others. I have not used the supplied wire, but do use safety wire a lot on my dirt bikes.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 3:43 Quote
Bartuskona wrote:
Thanks????

Sorry went off topic Pal. Use wires or don't. Nothing to worry about if you tighten bolts properly (preferably 8Nm with torque wrench) and use thread lock the wires aren't necessary.Wink

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 12:33 Quote
Haha. Sorry, but you didnnot ask if you needed it, you asked what it was for. Hehe. As I said, I don't use it. So thin anyway, easy to break.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
the question got answered like 4 different times. Must be new to pinkbike.

Posted: Jun 27, 2020 at 23:11 Quote
Those are brought to you by lawyers. That way you can't sue if your bolts back out and suffer a "life changing injury" Those cheap wires probably lower shimanos liability insurance premium, so they are supplied and I'd guess rarely used.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011853
Mobile Version of Website