21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
"They took pics and 2 days later called and said Specialized was aware of the problem with these downtubes and was sending me a new frame. They told him that they are warranting all frames and even paying labor to the shop to rebuild it which I think is cool! Those who've been denied may want to try again as it sounds like they are now acknowledging the design defect."

Quoted from the post.

It’ll be interesting to see if there’s a recall?

I think it’s more likely to be a batch issue than a design issue, I slammed some massive stones into my downtube in Italy this year, with no adverse effects, although I did fit a RockGuardz.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
"They took pics and 2 days later called and said Specialized was aware of the problem with these downtubes and was sending me a new frame. They told him that they are warranting all frames and even paying labor to the shop to rebuild it which I think is cool! Those who've been denied may want to try again as it sounds like they are now acknowledging the design defect."

Quoted from the post.
That’s a good news.

So I can continue riding without worry here in rocky southern Spain. I've already had a lot of rock hits on the bike, but I'll keep going until it breaks

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 11:42 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:

Quoted from the post.
I wonder if they'll refund those of us that paid for their crash replacement.

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 13:15 Quote
We had our local Enduro race last Sunday.
The amount of EVO's I spotted was interesting, our courses are not super rowdy and have a long sprint at the bottom.
Check out the pre-ride video with a little bike check at the end.
Thanks

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 18:37 Quote
Looks like a very fast, advanced course. Strong ride!!!

Posted: Nov 22, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
Wetworks73 wrote:
Looks like a very fast, advanced course. Strong ride!!!
Thank you, for me its the perfect fit for the EVO

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 11:03 Quote
Great course for an Evo! Long stages too. I'd have needed a breather and a sandwich about 2 minutes in.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 11:29 Quote
Riding & racing in the upper Midwest ((da yoop) for those that know), you wouldn't believe the number of stumpy evo's I see on any given weekend

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 14:36 Quote
formerbmxguy wrote:
Riding & racing in the upper Midwest ((da yoop) for those that know), you wouldn't believe the number of stumpy evo's I see on any given weekend
Say ya to da UP, eh!

I grew up near Charlevoix and had family in Rudyard and Escanaba. We often camped in Bimley, sometimes up in the Pancake Bay and Wawa areas of Ontario. I took my Florida wife to the Pictured Rocks for our honeymoon. My brother and friends up there keep trying to get me to race in the CH enduro. Someday... I love it up there.

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 18:34 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
Great course for an Evo! Long stages too. I'd have needed a breather and a sandwich about 2 minutes in.
some of the locals sold their Enduro and bought an Evo.
In top five there was 3 Evo's and one Enduro

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 2:45 Quote
What are people’s experience of the MX link?

I ran my Evo in the low and slack setting at a recent visit to a bike park, and it was great, but I did notice that it was a little harder getting it round tighter corners. I’m wondering if the mullet setup would help that?

So what are the pros and cons of the mullet set up Stumpy Evo?

Posted: Nov 25, 2022 at 9:44 Quote
If you weigh over 60kg the OEM MX link isnt great, The WRP is much, much better.

I rode my EVO with the WRP link for awhile but IMO on shorter bikes like the stumpy the 29er isnt really any worse for "tight sections"

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
Hopped on the stumpy evo carbon frame deal. Still haven’t found a size 6 to sit on. Sat on a size 4 and it felt tiny. Pretty excited about it, since I was thinking alloy a week ago and got the carbon for the same price.

Considered the size 5, but this would be the shortest reach numbers I’ve ridden in years, which seems like a bad idea to me. I think getting a more stable bike will fill in my weaknesses (speed) where as a shorter frame would just compliment my strengths.

Also, the cost of entry for the status frames are insanely good right now. Almost considered just picking one of those up instead, but obviously this will be more versatile.

There’s a buy and sell listing where a rider successfully swapped the s1-4 chainstay (438mm) in for the s5-6 chainstay (448mm) does anyone see a reason not to do this?

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 9:52 Quote
sean-curran wrote:
Hopped on the stumpy evo carbon frame deal. Still haven’t found a size 6 to sit on. Sat on a size 4 and it felt tiny. Pretty excited about it, since I was thinking alloy a week ago and got the carbon for the same price.

Considered the size 5, but this would be the shortest reach numbers I’ve ridden in years, which seems like a bad idea to me. I think getting a more stable bike will fill in my weaknesses (speed) where as a shorter frame would just compliment my strengths.

Also, the cost of entry for the status frames are insanely good right now. Almost considered just picking one of those up instead, but obviously this will be more versatile.

There’s a buy and sell listing where a rider successfully swapped the s1-4 chainstay (438mm) in for the s5-6 chainstay (448mm) does anyone see a reason not to do this?

Depends on how much technical climbing you’re planning on doing?

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
I would say that the reach numbers really need to be considered against the seat and head angles because all of these bikes have very short cockpits when compared against older bikes with same reach numbers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014558
Mobile Version of Website